The 32nd Games of the Modern Olympiad

An in-depth look at the history of the Olympics featuring famous athletes, records, photos and clips.

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Harry Hayfield

The 32nd Games of the Modern Olympiad

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:44 pm

On September 13th 2017, at the 130th IOC summit (scheduled to be held in Lima in Peru) the host of the 2024 Olympic Games will be announced. There are four formal bids for the Games from Rome (last hosted in 1960), Paris (last hosted in 1924), Budapest (never hosted) and Los Angeles (last hosted in 1984). Two years later in the middle or towards the end of 2019, there will be another meeting to finalise the sports that will be contested at those Games.

I believe that we should do all we can to try and get the heart of physical culture back into the Olympics. I know full well that weightlifting and wrestling have their futures secured, but I would like to see the introduction of natural bodybuilding into the Olympics in order to ensure that people are shown that you can have muscles without having to resort to steroids and thus encouraging them to start looking after themselves.

According to the IOC's own rules (which state that a) the sport must have an international federation, b) that federation must apply for admittance by filing a petition establishing its criteria of eligibility to the IOC, c) the sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents, and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents and d) the sport must also increase the ‘‘value and appeal'' of the Olympic Games and retain and reflect its modern traditions) there can be no more than 25 sports at a Games which means that at these meetings sports are reviewed and no only need a simple majority to be added or removed from the Games.

Therefore I would like to ask members for their thoughts on the following questions

1) Does natural bodybuilding fulfil the requirement for being practiced globally?
2) Is there an international federation for natural bodybuilding?
3) Do you believe that natural bodybuilding has a place at the Olympics?
and finally 4) If a formal bid was made to get natural bodybuilding into the Olympics, would you want to be associated with that bid?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Re: The 32nd Games of the Modern Olympiad

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:40 am

1) Does natural bodybuilding fulfil the requirement for being practiced globally?
I don't know for sure, but I would think it does.

2) Is there an international federation for natural bodybuilding?
There's the INBA/PNBA (which hosts the Natural Olympia) and the INBF/WNBF. I believe they're both U.S. based, but the INBA/PNBA has branches in other countries and the INBF/WNBF has international affiliates. INBA/PNBA is actually WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) accredited and follows the IOC's banned substance list. The INBF/WNBF's testing policies & procedures are compliant with WADA, but I'm not sure if they're accredited.

There's also Musclemania, which runs shows in various countries. The organization is (supposed to be) natural & drug-tested, but there's been some controversy surrounding it and whether some of the top competitors are truly natural & properly tested. A lot of people seem to have their doubts about Musclemania in any case.

There's other natural bodybuilding organizations, but those are the ones I'm most familiar with.

3) Do you believe that natural bodybuilding has a place at the Olympics?
Honestly I'm not sure that natural bodybuilding being included in the Olympic Games is really viable. Even if it's called "natural bodybuilding" and strictly drug tested, bodybuilding in general has a certain stigma (shall we say) because of the drug culture associated with it. And frankly if bodybuilding is put on a stage such as the Olympic Games where the whole world is watching and athletes are competing for national pride, there's gonna be PED users among the competitors just the same as there is in other Olympic sports regardless of the intended purpose of a natural drug-free competition and no matter how strict the testing may be.

Bodybuilding in general is also so subjective to begin with, which makes it easy for favoritism, political agendas & such to come into play. And on a stage a big as the Olympics, bodybuilding is a sport where corruption could very easily effect a competition. I mean that kind of stuff sadly already happens in bodybuilding as it is without it being on the world stage of the Olympic Games.

4) If a formal bid was made to get natural bodybuilding into the Olympics, would you want to be associated with that bid?
I suppose I'd support it, but while I think it's a nice idea with the best of intentions Harry, again I'm not sure that natural bodybuilding is really viable or suitable to be included in the Olympic Games. I know I'm coming off like a downer here, but Olympic bodybuilding just has 'controversy' written all over it.

sticksb

Re: The 32nd Games of the Modern Olympiad

Post by sticksb » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:15 am

If the Weiders couldn't do it then forget it . Not a good idea and too expensive . The amount
for testing bodybuilding makes it impractical compared to putting on other sporting events.