British Columbia Provincial Election 2020

Canadian Electoral process and election results.

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Harry Hayfield

British Columbia Provincial Election 2020

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:52 pm

When South Korea held their general election earlier in the year, it was praised by electoral authorities all over the world for the fact that it showed a national election could be held during a pandemic (and in the process recorded the highest turnout in an election ever), however since then several other countries have decided to follow suit with Poland and Belarus holding a Presidential Election and New Zealand postponing theirs from this month to next.

This has now spread to Canada where last week the people of New Brunswick voted in their election (held a while before it should have been) and now British Columbia is going to follow suit on October 24th, therefore with Diane's permission I will try and keep a tab on the election (as well as keeping an eye on the United States at the same time!)

The last election was held on May 9th 2017 (just a couple of days after my last local election attempt) and saw 61% of the electorate turnout to vote (up some six percent on the last election in 2013). That election produced the following result:

Liberal Party of British Columbia 796,972 votes (40% -4% on last time) winning 43 seats (-6 on last time)
New Democrats of British Columbia 795,106 votes (40% +1% on last time) winning 41 seats (+7 on last time)
Green Party of British Columbia 332,387 votes (17% +9% on last time) winning 3 seats (+2 on last time)
Independent candidates 20,956 votes (1% -1% on last time) winning 0 seats (-1 on last time)
Conservative Party of British Columbia 10,402 votes (1% -4% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time)
Other parties 18,391 votes (1% -1% on last time) winning 0 seats (unchanged on last time)
Liberal Party of British Columbia lead of 1,866 votes (0%) on a swing of 2.2% from Liberal to New Democrats
Hung Parliament, Liberals short by 1

However, when the Parliament assembled and the new Premier elected, it wasn't the leader of the Liberals who was elected, it was the leader of the New Democrats as they announced first a no confidence motion in the existing Premier (which passed) then the NDP leader was elected as Premier with the support of the Greens who entered into a confidence and supply arrangement (an arrangement that despite a referendum on electoral reform being defeated, survived until the calling of the election a few days ago).

The most recent polling average at the end of August showed the NDP on 45% (+5%), the Liberals on 30% (-10%), the Greens on 13% (-4%), the Conservatives on 11% (+10%) and the Others on 1% (-1%) indicating a Liberal to NDP swing of at least 7% (enough for an overall majority without the help of the Greens)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Harry Hayfield

Re: British Columbia Provincial Election 2020

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:15 am

Since the calling of the election, there are been two polls conducted in the province, these polls (when averaged) give the following results:

New Democrats of British Columbia 43% (+3% on 2017)
Liberal Party of British Columbia 34% (-6% on 2017)
Green Party of British Columbia 15% (-2% on 2017)
Conservative Party of British Columbia 8% (+7% on 2017)
Other Parties 1% (-2% on 2017)
New Democrat lead of 9% on a swing of 4.5% from Liberal to NDP

Which if reflected at the election would see an overall NDP majority
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)