As well as talking about elections, I'm standing in one

Electoral process and election results for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

As well as talking about elections, I'm standing in one

Postby Harry Hayfield » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:57 pm

On May 4th (yes, I know, cue the Star Wars puns), there will be elections to twenty seven county councils, seven unitary authorities, a metropolitan council and eight mayoral elections in England, as well as thirty two unitary authorities in Scotland and twenty two unitary authorities in Wales. It is these elections that I will be standing in as the National Health Action Party candidate for the local ward that covers my home village. Therefore I would like to know whether members would be interested in reading about my campaign (as well as what standing for election in the UK means) or whether that would be too much information?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Re: As well as talking about elections, I'm standing in one

Postby Mobster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

By all means. The why and how will be interesting
Mobster

Postby peter yates » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi Harry, please do fill us in.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Best of luck . If you need campaign images of yourself or unflattering ones
of your opponents let me know ...
sticksb

Postby Harry Hayfield » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 pm

In order to be a duly nominated candidate for elections in the United Kingdom you need to have the following: First, a form saying "I consent to be nominated", this is then followed by the actual nomination form, and that is in turn followed by a form stating that you have permission of the party, that you wish to stand for, to stand as a candidate.

For local elections, like the one I am contesting, you need a proposer, seconder and eight assenters (people who agree that you would make a good candidate) all of whom must live within the ward that you wish to represent and all of whom must be registered to vote. This is the stage of the election process that I will be starting on tomorrow and hope to collect all ten names by Thursday at the latest. Please note that it is only for Westminster or Assembly elections that you have to lodge funding (£500 / $600) before you can stand, for local elections no funding is needed.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
Harry Hayfield

Postby peter yates » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Good luck Harry, keep us informed.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Harry Hayfield » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:37 pm

I now only have two more pieces of paper to fill in. One confirming that I am a member of the party listed by the nominating officer and therefore request that the party’s emblem be printed on the ballot paper and the second which has to be signed in front of a witness stating “I consent to be nominated by the party for this elected position”. Once all that has been done, the forms can be handed into the council (which I intend to do on Tuesday) a fortnight beforehand to ensure that any mistakes can be corrected in time which if none are detected means that I will get a letter a few days later congratulating me on being a duly nominated candidate.
Harry Hayfield

Postby Harry Hayfield » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I am pleased to report that all of my nomination papers have been handed in (having been delayed by 24 hours thanks to a printer problem) and have passed the initial checks. The next stage is for the returning officer to give them the once over and if she confirms that everything is in order then I will receive a letter congratulating me on becoming a bonafide candidate
Harry Hayfield

Postby Harry Hayfield » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:56 pm

As I have had no communication from the council telling me that there is something drastically wrong with my nomination papers, I believe that I am now duly nominated for the county ward and community council and as a result will formally start my campaign on Monday by delivering by hand an introduction letter to every elector in the ward (and posting the same letter to those electors I cannot find). Therefore from Monday, I will post a link to my walk so that members can see where I have been (and how long it took)
Harry Hayfield

Postby Harry Hayfield » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:As I have had no communication from the council telling me that there is something drastically wrong with my nomination papers, I believe that I am now duly nominated for the county ward and community council and as a result will formally start my campaign on Monday by delivering by hand an introduction letter to every elector in the ward (and posting the same letter to those electors I cannot find). Therefore from Monday, I will post a link to my walk so that members can see where I have been (and how long it took)

The official confirmation arrived today (after a haggle between the county and the election commission over the validity of my party's nominating officer), therefore the campaign will officially start on Wednesday with an introduction letter delivered to the whole of the villages of Llanon and Llansantffraed (population 922)
Harry Hayfield

Next

Return to UK Elections