Physical Culture Candidates

Political issues in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Physical Culture Candidates

Postby Harry Hayfield » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:42 am

(Orginally posted by petertohen, but in completely the wrong section)

Well, it would be 645 as a minimum (as Sinn Fein do not take their seats), but I can understand your concerns. The good thing is that with the devolved assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is a lot easier to get elected to those assemblies than Westminster. In 2011, several Greens missed out on being elected by the matter of a few hundred votes on the regional list, so if you fancy standing for the next set of elections in 2016 (or indeed a local council) on a platform of compulsory physical culture education for all then I can't see any reason why I couldn't offer some advice.

The general election in 2017 saw Sinn Fein win seven sets, therefore bringing the number of MP's at Westminster to 643. The Northern Ireland Assembly is currently suspended pending the formation of an executive (but given the current makeup of the Assembly, I am not hopeful) therefore that is the Assembly most likely to have the next election. If you were willing to stand as a candidate in those elections, petertohen, what sort of policies would you have in your manifesto?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Return to UK Political Issues