The Best Physical Culturists of the 1930's

Stay tuned! This Forum will be officially launched Dec. 31, 2018 by Moderator, Harry Hayfield.
Best Physical Culturists representing each decade during the past 100 years.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, drob357

Harry Hayfield

Re: The Best Physical Culturists of the 1930's

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:08 pm

peter yates wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:07 pm
Hi Harry, should we go by the place of birth or of the person's nationality? Oscar while being born in Cyprus was a British subject and Sig while being born in Germany was a naturalized American for most of his life.Just asking, you are the Boss. Regards,Peter.
I have been led to believe that when a person is listed, it is their birthplace that deems their nationality (regardless of whether that changes over time). If I am incorrect in this assumption, then I am happy to change it to nationality at their death.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Harry,
Well although Oscar was born in Cyprus it was due to his Father being in the colonial police.His father was British of Swedish ancestry and Oscar held British nationality. It is the same as those children born in Singapore or Germany etc. when their military parents were stationed in those locations. As far as i know Oscar never identified with being a Cypriot. In Sig's case he was born in Torun which was then in Germany but is now in Poland.However his family took him to America as an infant and he became a naturalized American citizen and identified as such.Many of the early York lifters were immigrants but lifted for and identified with the USA.So rather than where someone was born or died it could be which country did they identify with.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 pm

I do apologise, but I have simply not been able to do a profile of the four nominees due to the fact that every time I have sat down to do them something prevents me from doing so, therefore the vote is now open and will close at 0000 PDT on March 31st 2019.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi Harry, while all are deserving of top place we can only have one so this is my list in order of first to last.
1 John Grimek.
2 Sig KLein
3 Oscar Heidenstam
4 K.V.Iyer
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 am

The Physical Culturist who will represent the 1930's in the Grand Final in December is:

youtu.be/9kDw2dwA2fs

John Grimek

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Harry, great video.Thanks.
Peter Yates