Entires from 1625

Physical Culture in the Caroline Era.

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

Harry Hayfield

Entires from 1625

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm

Lady Day 1625

When I started this journal, I expected to be able to fill it with tales of life in the wilds of Wales, sadly, today, I fill with it with a feeling of dread. My father, the honourable member of Cardiganshire in the House of Commoners, gathered by His Majesty James, is a very close friend of George Villers, the chief minister of the King in the Commoners and today he recieved some very grave news. His Majesty is desperately ill, to the point where George believes that he could die.

Is it any wonder therefore that I left the house and ran. I ran as far as it was possible to towards our nearest neighbour. I do not know how long it took me, but I do know one thing, the Jones family, who live at the estate called Nanteos, always welcome us with open arms when we come and visit, so the fact that when I arrived at the estate and practically collapsed at the door panting "Please, sir, I...I need to talk" gives you an idea of what I had done. Run the seven miles from my home to the Jones estate.

The man that I had to come to see was John, he is about the same age as me and we have both grown up knowing each other, but unlike me, he has known what it is like to lose someone close. His sister died after an accident, I never like to intrude so I do not know the circumstances, but he listened to me explaining about the King and said something that I found very settling in the circumstances. He told me that although it was tragic that the King should die, perhaps it was all part of the Lord's plan and that it was possible that, if the Lord God had determined that the King had to die, his son, trhe Duke of York, Charles, would become King and given my father's service to James, perhaps his service would be rewarded.

As I walked back home, those words kept on ringing around my head and as they did, I remembered what my father had told me after the snow had meltted. I was a man, and thanks to his advice about to keep myself healthy, as demonstrated by my run, I was more likely to live longer than he could live and that as a result, the Lord God would look after me. I arrived back home just as the sun was starting to set and arrived to find my father in floods of tears. Fearing the worst, I asked him if what had happened had been expected. He replied it had, but not what I was expecting. My father's loyal service to James had been recognised and in his last moments, His Majesty willed that my father became Lord Cardigan and that I, Henry, was to follow in his footsteps and become the new member in the House of Commoners from Cardiganshire. A statement that was met with tears of joy and sadness in equal measure.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Re: Entires from 1625

Post by peter yates » Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks Harry,keep them coming.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Good Friday 1625
We Cardigans have always followed the Christian faith, indeed my father believes that there was a Cardigan who was present at the capture of Jerusalem at the end of the First Crusade, however there are terms that I have never fully understood, for instance, how can the day when Christ was killed be deemed "Good". It was until a few years ago that my father explained that "Good" does not mean that something joyous has happened, it means that siomething holy has happened and when I fully understood the story of the Passion I could see what he meant.

However, this Good Friday, there is one man I am still missing, James, and yet his passing seemed to have instilled something in me. I cannot rightly explain what that something is, but ever since I heard about his death, I have become determined not to suffer the same fate and so have been doing what my father has termed a "regime" although I am not sure that is the correct term. As soon as it gets light, I wake up and immediately go for a run. You will be pleased to hear that I do not run to my friend at Nanteos as I do not think he would appreciate being woken up so early, but I go for a run around the boundary of the estate. Then, after a hearty breakfast, I go into the woods, find a tree, chop a bit of it off and lift it over my head as many times as I can until I simply cannot lift it again, then I lift it one final time even if it makes me roar in anger or agony. After lunch, I then go for another run, around the boundary again, this time at least twice, that is then followed by supper and before I go to bed I deliberately hold on the bannisters on the stairs on the first floor and pull myself up and down as many times as a I can before I lose my grip, and before you gasp in horror that you are reading the words of a ghost, I put down as many matteres as I can find in the guest rooms underneath me to cushion my fall. All this is in the aim to ensure that I live a long and healthy life, after all, I will soon become a member of Parliament and I want to exeperience the Commoners for as long as I am able to.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Good one Harry. Nice description of old school training if there ever was one.Lifted a few logs myself over the years.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates