Launch of Ray's Training Q & A

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

raynobile

Re: Launch of Ray's Training Q & A

Post by raynobile » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:46 am

thanks peter, what a great reply from you.it certainly was not long winded.it was extreemly informative.i agree that if you have an injury the best thing you can do is work round the injury. the worst thing you can do is have a lay off till the injury heals.back in scotland i ran my own gym for 18 years.there was an olympic lifter that trained in another gym. he came to me to see if i could help with a shoulder injury he had.he could not do any overhead front press with a barbell and also could not do the jerk . after some experiments with other shoulder exercices it was found he could do seated press behind the neck.so i deviced a routine to help.i had him do press behind neck. high reps of sets of 6 x 15. followed with dumbell bent over raises.similar sets and reps.in the following weeks i had him reduce the reps.after 6 weeks he was down to reps of 5. i then told him to try barbell front press and jerks. this he could do without any pain.so we healed his injury by training around it.he thanked me profusley but then bugered off back to his old gym :roll:

Quadsquat

Post by Quadsquat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:57 am

thanks Ray and Peter

very helpful , its good to hear that there is still hope for me , i will play it very carefully , last thing i need is a hip replacement

i think as we age its inevitable that we have to become innovative with our training

this is tough given we all grew up with the "squat is king" school of training

the Reg Park bulk course is a classic , i have a copy in pride of place status in my collection

i never thought of step ups , never an exercise i ever tried much myself, although i had my mom doing them for legs after she fell and broke her kneecap at age 82....it was the only exercise that didnt hurt her knee

they served her well from age 82 till 87 (when she passed) , up to 2 weeks before her passing she was able to walk up 4 flights of stairs with a shopping bag in each hand .....imagine at 87!!!!

Liam

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:26 pm

raynobile wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:46 am
thanks peter, what a great reply from you.it certainly was not long winded.it was extreemly informative.i agree that if you have an injury the best thing you can do is work round the injury. the worst thing you can do is have a lay off till the injury heals.back in scotland i ran my own gym for 18 years.there was an olympic lifter that trained in another gym. he came to me to see if i could help with a shoulder injury he had.he could not do any overhead front press with a barbell and also could not do the jerk . after some experiments with other shoulder exercices it was found he could do seated press behind the neck.so i deviced a routine to help.i had him do press behind neck. high reps of sets of 6 x 15. followed with dumbell bent over raises.similar sets and reps.in the following weeks i had him reduce the reps.after 6 weeks he was down to reps of 5. i then told him to try barbell front press and jerks. this he could do without any pain.so we healed his injury by training around it.he thanked me profusley but then bugered off back to his old gym :roll:
Thanks for relating this Ray. I am sure he was not the only one you helped in this way over the years.Once you isolate what you can do,forget about what you cannot do and give it no more energy. Often the issues will resolve and may just be due to muscle imbalance.It seems like that weightlifter had weakness in the posterior delts that the concentrated work on that are balanced out.That is what i love about physical culture,there are so many ways to get the job done.Rather than bemoaning what cannot be done we can look at it as an opportunity to experiment with something new.These days above all else i believe training should make us feel better and be fun.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Quadsquat wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:57 am
thanks Ray and Peter

very helpful , its good to hear that there is still hope for me , i will play it very carefully , last thing i need is a hip replacement

i think as we age its inevitable that we have to become innovative with our training

this is tough given we all grew up with the "squat is king" school of training

the Reg Park bulk course is a classic , i have a copy in pride of place status in my collection

i never thought of step ups , never an exercise i ever tried much myself, although i had my mom doing them for legs after she fell and broke her kneecap at age 82....it was the only exercise that didnt hurt her knee

they served her well from age 82 till 87 (when she passed) , up to 2 weeks before her passing she was able to walk up 4 flights of stairs with a shopping bag in each hand .....imagine at 87!!!!

Liam
Hi Liam, i think it all comes down to what is the purpose for training at any stage in life.Certainly when younger increased strength and size usually take priority.Competition for some is very important.Whatever the goal the mind and training is geared toward that end.We learn as we go.Often due to work and family commitments training loses its priority for a number of years, with the goal of at least maintaining what has been achieved and maybe health starts to become more important. I know for me pushing on up to 70 that vibrant health and remaining injury free are top of the list,while still retaining as much strength and muscle as i can.So once again my training and mind set must reflect that goal.As stated above rather than seeing this as losing something we can see it as the freedom to explore possibilities.You have already seen the potential in step ups with your mother,i feel this and lunge squats have much to offer and can be made as intense as needed for muscle stimulation.I know you will work out the best way for you mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates