Launch of Ray's Training Q & A

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

drob357
Site Admin

Launch of Ray's Training Q & A

Post by drob357 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm

We are pleased to announce that Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder and Powerlifter has kindly accepted the post as Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray is pleased to answer your questions and offer advice concerning your training and dietary concerns. Please join us in welcoming Ray aboard!
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Re: Launch of Ray's Training Q & A

Post by peter yates » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks Diane, this makes Ray accessible to more people.
So Ray this is not a training question per se but one we could say related more to history. You were there at in the very early days of strongman and powerlifting performing at the highest level for many years. What changes did you see to both sports over the years you were involved, good and bad, and how do you view where the respective sports are today?
Thanks, Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:07 am

thanks for your question peter, when i started to compete in powerlifting there was only one world championships. run by one federation. this as you know was the i.p.f. so when a lifter won or placed or created a record that lifter was deemed, rightly so as being the best in the world.now there are over 100 federations, each laying claim to having their own world champions. so in effect that creates over 100 lifters being world champions. when i first lifted in the worlds in 1978 it was raw. all be it some lifters wore a supersuit for the squat. however the suits were nothing like the suits they have now. they were made of a very thin elastic material and a lot of lifters blew them out during their squats, in other words the suits split always at the backside.this caused the lifter to lose control of the bar thus getting the lift failed. i was one of the lifters in the 1978 championships not wearing a suit. yet i squated a british and european record of 342.5 kilos. later on i started wearing the suit. i never liked them and felt it gave me no advantage. i squated just as much without them in training. but as i was a member of the great britain team i was told by the team manager i had to wear one. now these suits have evolved out of recognition. giving masive advantage over raw lifting.especially when it comes to the bench pressing shirts.200kilos and more over the same lifter lifting raw.so to answer your question i think powerlifting has took a turn for the worse as regards to competitions. as for strongman that too has changed massively since its begining in the late 1970s. the competitors are physicaly bigger than then. to win or have a chance of winning an athlete has to be well over 6 feet and weigh over 170 kilos at wsm. i do think strongman has changed for the better the guys have amazing strength and power. i am a big fan of the current strongman scene. however, unfortunetly both sports have been affected in a negative way by politics within the respective federations. yours in sport, ray.

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Nice to have you here Ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply Ray,It is always good to hear from someone who was there in the trenches as opposed to armchair experts. I can remember before powerlifting was organized and the strength set was contested, perfect form and depth on all lifts and contestants wearing shorts and T shirts or weightlifting singlets.That carried over to the early days of powerlifting which i found very exciting at the time when you were competing.Now i have very little interest because of the many factions all with different rules and judging standards. It seems Strongman in your day was contested by athletes from a wide variety of disciplines with a wide range of feats included. Now it is a fully organized sport with full time competitors and events that can be trained for.I agree with you that it has evolved into a great spectator sport as the Growing attendance would indicate,whereas most powerlifting events have friends and family members only as spectators.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 am

Mobster wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:15 pm
Nice to have you here Ray.
thank you, its good to be here.

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Here's a good question for ray:

Have you found that your training has changed over the years i.e., reduced volume, less exercises, different exercises, less days training and such?? I found that due to a myriad of old injuries and such that I had to stop doing lots of different compound exrcises and certain single joint exercises - squats and deadlifts are out for me due to neck and back injuries from the past, but I can still do a host of upper body exercises. I got into rowing recently for cardio and overall body exercise in addition to my weight training. I believe our training is ever evolving. Exercises I did when I was younger don't feel as safe or as good as when I try them now.

Cheers

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am

yes my training has and currently changed. its a must that one alters his or hers training as the aging process will dictate. ive been training with weights for 55 yrs now.in that time i have missed very few workouts.i am 68 now. up til my mid 50s i could still train heavy on most lifts, especially the bench press.however i had to stop doing squats and deadlifts at 50.this was due to a lower back injury i sustained when i competed in the first televised britains strongest man contest. it can be seen via you tube.the injury happened in the backlift competition in which i won. the injury soon healed, but used to return now and then. since i gave up squats and deads it has not bothered me. in my early 60s i tore my biceps 'i done this whilst lowering the dumbells on completion of a set of heavy incline bench presses. now i train 4 times per week/ ie.every other day. chest delts triceps all done sets of 3x8. next workout is legs back and biceps. same sets and reps.i also do ab work after every workout. i do not do cardio per se. as i rest only 30 seconds beetween sets. this gives me all the cardio benefits i need.also with such a short rest period this prevents me from going too heavy with the weights. im in and out the gym in 45 minutes. im also a great believer in listening to my body. my body will tell me what to do.both in exercising and eating. hope this answers your question thanks for posting. yours in sport, ray.

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 am

raynobile wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am
yes my training has and currently changed. its a must that one alters his or hers training as the aging process will dictate. ive been training with weights for 55 yrs now.in that time i have missed very few workouts.i am 68 now. up til my mid 50s i could still train heavy on most lifts, especially the bench press.however i had to stop doing squats and deadlifts at 50.this was due to a lower back injury i sustained when i competed in the first televised britains strongest man contest. it can be seen via you tube.the injury happened in the backlift competition in which i won. the injury soon healed, but used to return now and then. since i gave up squats and deads it has not bothered me. in my early 60s i tore my biceps 'i done this whilst lowering the dumbells on completion of a set of heavy incline bench presses. now i train 4 times per week/ ie.every other day. chest delts triceps all done sets of 3x8. next workout is legs back and biceps. same sets and reps.i also do ab work after every workout. i do not do cardio per se. as i rest only 30 seconds beetween sets. this gives me all the cardio benefits i need.also with such a short rest period this prevents me from going too heavy with the weights. im in and out the gym in 45 minutes. im also a great believer in listening to my body. my body will tell me what to do.both in exercising and eating. hope this answers your question thanks for posting. yours in sport, ray.
Hi Ray!

Yes, Sir, it does answer it and lets me know I'm on the right track in my thinking on training! As of late, I've been bench pressing three times a week with power rack work mixed in. With some overhead pressing on Wednesdays, and bench pressing on Monday, Wednesday and Friday its literally the only weight training I'm doing right now as I've since embarked on a water rowing schedule for cardio and back, bicep and leg work. I row at least 4 days a week, sometimes five, different intervals of training, fast, slow, long and short sustained efforts and can't seem to get enough of it right now. Overall, it feels good and I know its giving me the heart health benefit I'm looking for.

When its played out I might try your suggestion of training every other day, splitting it up as you've done. Yeah, three sets seems to be enough with the higher reps - 8 and higher. At 57, I just cannot do what I once did, and frankly, I'm not interested anymore in pushing the heavy weights that I once did. I retired from a 20 year career in powerlifting, 10 years ago now, and can say in all honesty that I don't miss it. Sure its fun to slam around the heavy weights once in awhile, but heavy is relative, right? And after awhile it just gets to be a grind. Sensible training is the way to go for sure!

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers!

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:16 am

hi 28gkb, rowing on the open water is an excellent exercise, both aerobically and great for muscle stimulation. before moving to bulgaria in 2004, my house was right on the sea, well 500metres from the beach. i was out on the water in my sea kayak most days.like you i used it as a tool to enhance my body both areobic and anerobicaly. also found it good for the mind.the smell of the sea and fresh air combined with the exercise cant be beat. also the marine life that i would see was superb, basking sharks and porpoises amongst by favourites. unfortuntly i live now in central bulgria, which is a 3 hour drive from the sea. i sure miss the kayaking. regards, ray,