Basic routine for the over 40's

Ray Nobile, World Champion Bodybuilder & Powerlifter is the Chief Moderator for this Forum. Ray invites you to post questions regarding your training and dietary concerns.

Moderators: drob357, raynobile

peter yates

Re: Basic routine for the over 40's

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:57 pm

raynobile wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:04 am
richie, do you have access to a chining bar and diping bar. i note you like to do bodyweight exercises. a great way to get a complete upper body workout done in 10 to 15 minutes, is to do chins superseted with dips. do a set of chins to failure then a set of dips to failure, repeat this for 3 to 5 sets. no rest between exercises or sets. you will find you may get say 10 reps the first set, however by the 3rd set you will be down to lower reps, 3 or 4 usually. important thing to do is go to failure every set. this rouyine will work every muscle in the upper body, except abbs and lower back. so as you shouls have time left then you can do abb work and lower back work. regards, ray,
Hi Ray, good advise. That combo has been a terrific standby for me in times of limited equipment or time. When i was training martial arts intensively every day and my time was limited, Dips and Chins and single leg squats kept me in great shape until i had more time for the weights. Not to be underestimated for sure and at nearly 70 still playing a part in my training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Internalfitness wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 pm
Week 3 and I have to say I'm pretty happy with how it's gone. On to my second incremental weight increase and I can feel the slight increase in strength. Still managing to hit that last couple of reps struggle, so I know I'm at more or less the right weight. The only change I've made is with the upright row - I now use a wider grip and only lift to nipple height; no negative/odd feeling at all when I do it this way. Five more workouts to go until the month is up, then my first major review (probably going to move to dumbbells for safety if I go up any more in weight).

Richie.
Hi Richie, nice combination, hitting all the major muscle structures and blending well together. Glad to see you have been progressing too.You are still relatively young and have more years of progress although it may be slower now.Do not let that discourage you as you are continuing to replace muscle tissue that we lose as we age and your peers for sure are not doing so. I know you are in it for the long haul and believe you me it is well worth it when you get up in years and you are fitter and stronger than most folks half your age.I think when younger we can be too serious about training but as we age if seems to me to become more fun as we can adjust and play around with things to suit our circumstances and needs. Good luck with your training mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 pm

raynobile wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm
good to hear you are progressing richie. also good that you are doing upright rows with a wide grip, i always advocated that style. hits the deltoid area more effectivley rather than the traps taking over. keep up the good work. regards. ray.
Hi Ray, i always preferred doing them that way too. It felt much better on my shoulder joints and as you say hits the Deltoid really well.A tri-set i liked doing was wide grip upright row, seated two dumbbell press and bent over raise.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 am

yes peter, i did wide upright rows supersetted with front press using the same weight and grip. the upright rows hit the delts without affecting the triceps so the pressing muscles [ triceps ] were still strong, enabling the delts to tire before the triceps. this system was populer in the 1970s and was called pre=exhaust. very efective for bodybuilding but less effective for strength training. regards, ray.

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:43 am

Internalfitness wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 pm
Hello Ray,

Seems a shame to see this resource underused, so I have a question if that's OK?

I'm 40 years old, not in terrible shape, no injuries to nurse other than an umbilical hernia I try not to aggravate, but I would like to improve my overall strength (and just try something a bit different; I use resistance bands and bodyweight routines as a general rule).

Equipment I have at my disposal:

Barbell + Dumbbells (various weights)
Kettlebells (various)
Reebok Deck (pictured)
Reebok Deck.jpg
Resistance Bands / Expanders (various strengths)

I am able to workout at the same time 3-4 times per week for up to 30 minutes at a time.

My aim is not to 'go heavy' not least because I will be working out alone, but ultimately to end up with what I would term a 'maintenance' routine; something I can have as my go-to weights routine.

Happy to answer any further questions.

Richie.
Richie, Hi!!

I saw in your post that you have an umbilical hernia. I had one too and had it repaired with mesh. I've had no issues, but stretching over head, stretching my torso too much, bent over exercises, squats and deadlifts are all out. I had mine repaired as I started to find that no matter what I did it was sore and eventually, it would need repair with the threat of having an incarcerated bowel. I'd encourage you to get it looked at if nothing else and monitor it. I blew mine out squatting (I was a powerlifter and had to give up squats and deadlifts). For leg work I use a leg extension and leg curl curl bench and I bike quite a bit.

What I did was I got into bench pressing as I now focus all my efforts on that. Nothing wrong at all with using resistance bands and bodyweight movements. At times I use the same to supplement my weight training. I also found water rowing (Erg rowing at home) useful for back and shoulder girdle strength and it doesn't aggravate my back or former hernia. I'm no doctor, but I would definitely be careful with squats and deadlifts and any movement where you bend over....rows, good mornings, stiff legged deadlifts etc.

I've been following Dr. Jim Stoppani's writing's where he talks about increasing your training days as a "master's lifter". For years we've been told to dial it back a bit and reduce our training days, but the doc says (and I believe there may be a lot of merit to this) is that when you're younger your body is producing more testosterone than when you age. Training, especially if you're doing the power lifts creates an anabolic situation and your body grows as a result of the exercises. Well, the theory is that as we age and produce less testosterone, in order to go into an anabolic state so we can increase muscle mass (or at least at the maintain it at a minimum), we have to train more since training puts you into that anabolic state. This type of training I'm talking about is NOT talking your body and muscles to absolute failure and burning out. More like a controlled amount of volume so you're fresh for the next workout, the next day.

I started training more (especially on my bench press) where I went from once a week, to now training it 5 days a week! I use different percentages and rep schemes each time, but suffice to say and increase in my work volume has not been detrimental to me, and I was the epitome of a "hard gainer" - the text book version of it. I trained less than I probably should've over the years because that's what I read one should do. Now, after researching ad nauseum, I believe, for us older more mature lifters anyway, that going balls to the wall on one day and then resting for a few days before hitting that muscle group again, may be the wrong approach. More frequent training for us older guys, with reduced volume and careful attention to exercise form is what seems to get the job done.

I, too, use barbells, dumbells, kettlebells, a rowing machine, a recumbent bike, my power rack and bench, and bands on occasion. You can make it work with whatever you have. At one time I only had at my disposal a few kettlebells, a pull up bar and rings which I hung from the pull up bar, and had some of the best workouts ever! Bands and strands are excellent for working muscles and provide resistance without hurting yourself.

Right now I focus on only two exercises per training session. Since the workout is centered around the bench press I typically will bench press first and then follow up with one other exercise to keep the overall training session volume rather low. Typically I'd do stuff like a shrug, upright row, pull up on my Total Gym so my torso is supported and not hanging from a bar to further aggravate the hernia and curls. I rotate those exercises in as I want making sure to give equal attention to those exercises throughout the week.

Good luck!

John

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:02 am

Hi John,

I've had my hernia for about 20 years now (since I was about 20). I remember pushing it in and it would stay in for a while then pop back out :D The doctor I went to see at the time said just to keep an eye on it as it was small, and it hasn't changed in all this time. I said how would I know if there was anything to worry about and he said I would feel a desperate and overwhelming urge to go to the hospital! I put the blame for the hernia on Rocky 4 - I was trying to copy some pretty severe abdominal work!

I've never done a crunch since, but I am very fond of bodyweight good mornings and bodyweight squats (on toes, rarely on flat feet). I love all twisting and bending movements actually, but I always make sure to keep my core tight, and never just blow it out and put it under pressure.

I have 1 workout left on this weights schedule and that will be the month I said I would do to start (so 12 workouts in all). Have I seen a difference? I think I have, or at the very least I think you can see changes STARTING to come through. Have I enjoyed it? 50:50. Doing a fixed workout 3 x per week for about 30-45 minutes took away all of my excuses NOT to exercise, so I did. Keeping the routine the same took all of the guesswork out over 'what to do' today, so that also worked. The negative 50 simply comes from the fact I am just not completely sold on weight training - least not with a barbell.

So what's next? I haven't quite decided if 4 weeks is enough on this set of exercises or if I should put it up to 6. Either way, I'm going to switch to dumbells for the next month. If I do change the exercises it will be for variations from Bill Pearls Keys to the Inner Universe, not changing the exercises altogether. Still going to stick to the 3 sets of 10, 3 times per week.

I used to have a rowing machine, but generally speaking, as I live in the countryside I put some music on and just go for a brisk 20-minute walk every day. Skipping is something I may revisit now winter is coming.

I'll go back to strands and bands at some point, but for right now the experiment remains interesting and of course, it's working!

Richie.

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Hey Richie!

I feel ya'! I questioned at times whether it was weight training or my approach to it that led to limited gains. Its certainly an on going science for sure, and I, too, often do lots of things in my own training for varieties sake! Keep on keepin' on!

John

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:23 am

hi richie and john, liam tweed has posted an article by earl liederman over on iron history site. its from an old strength and health mag. the article is about curing a hernia by the use of incline situps. may be of interest to you. regards. ray.

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Did my final 'old' routine yesterday - a little sorry to see it go actually (so it may make a comeback), but this month I want to try something a little different:

Dumbbell breathing squat: 15 reps
Standing 2 dumbbell tricep curl & press: 3 x 10
Bent arm dumbbell pullover - press - lateral (on bench): 3 x 10
Standing dumbbell upright row: 3 x 10
Slide lateral raise: 3 x 10
Standing 4 x 4 x 4 dumbbell curl (may do 6 x 6 x 6 as am using lighter dumbbells)
Press ups: 3 x 10
Side bends: 2 x 10
Dumbbell breathing squat: 15 reps

The usual 3 x per week.

Only slight concern is I'm doubling up a bit here.

Richie.

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:29 am

good to hear that you enjoyed the '' old '' routine. the way to make progress is to enjoy your routine. one critique i have is that there was no direct exercise for your back.however you may add this to your new workout schedule. regards, ray.