HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

peter yates

Re: HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Well my H&S finally arrived and what a cracker it is. Just had a quick glance through and will wait for a quiet time in the day to sit with a nice cup of tea and a good read. My old buddy Kev has not subscribed for a few years but was suitably impressed with the new look January issue. Great cover shot of Clancy Ross.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Yes Peter that cover really made me feel training! Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi Re Clancy Ross cover pix, its one i supplied Jo and Rob with, its an original one by Russ Warner, he took some amazing ones of Clancy, many appearing on Joes mag covers. Russ and Jean gave me the whole bunch of original Ross pix taken on that day on the beach location . Clancy didnt have a funeral as he left his body to medical science, i just wish he had left it to me...Watch out for some classic Bill Pearl pix and info coming in H&S. I must say how happy i am both H&S and the web site co operate for each others benefit. No politics, just the love of the game....David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Peeling back the front cover is like stepping back in time
by a few decades. What a vibe . Like a good dream .

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Any news on this? I'm sure an issue is due and I've not heard anything? Nothing on the Facebook page either

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi Tom,
sorry nothing to report. Have tried to reach Jo-Anne but had no reply.I heard from another subscriber they were dealing with some some personal issues and would be back as soon as they could.I hope it will be back as the mag was really going in a great direction i feel.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Still waiting for Health and Strength to show, i know the owners have serious personal problems with their children etc and have my sympathy, but it would still be nice to get some official update or news, i am happy to wait and of course they should put their childrens health before any business, but they also owe it to the loyal subscribers of the mag to let us know whats going on .I aways write months in advance to keep them loaded with articles and photos in advance, but the time is now running out. After decades of writing for the mag, its a sad ending if it does fold, but lets be positive and hope its just a hiccup and we get our copies before xmas. Does anyone live near them to give them a call and find out(Axminster) as we all know , emails no longer get answered.David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 am

I am very sorry to report that as of yet there has been no news about the present state or future of H&S.They say "no news is good news," and i hope in this case it is true but am at the moment not feeling too optimistic. I have no idea what problems the family are facing and that is of course their personal issue but i do wish them well and hope that it is sorted for them soon. Just like HOPC,Health and Strength mag has been a labor of love, and all of the work has been mainly done by one person,Jo, who i feel has done a wonderful job with content and layout, covers etc. To keep something like that going needs enough subscriptions and takes a lot of time, very difficult if one also has a family to take care of. In the past H&S has often been rescued at the last minute maybe that will once again be the case. But if it is in fact the end it will be a sad thing. This should make us think and appreciate what we have in HOPC and the amazing work Diane does to keep it all running smoothly while constantly updating.This too is a labor of love which falls squarely on one person's shoulders. The only way the HOPC can grow and survive is from subscriptions,so if you are reading this and not a subscriber please consider joining and keeping this wonderful resource alive.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates