The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Talbot

Re: The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Post by Talbot » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:24 pm

@billypopowski: The best way of stopping your mind from wandering, while you are exercising, is to focus entirely on what you are doing. Concentrating on what you are doing for exercise, will also give you excellent mind/muscle connections.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi Billy, Talbot has hit the nail on the head.Training of any type should be mindful. You can visit any gym these days and see people on exerbikes,treadmills and such watching big screen News programs or listening to their music.You can even find young guys doing a curl with one hand and texting with the other.So much of the exercise value is lost this way.One habit you can get into is while in a quiet relaxed place run through the workout you are going to do in your mind, focus strongly on the exercise and muscle structure it is working. When you begin your training take that same concentration and focus to the session. Maxalding and muscle control in general demands total concentration and attention to the job at hand.It also helps to build and refine that concentration.I am very glad to find through this thread that there are young people who have realized the value of Muscle control and taken up the practice.Good luck with your training and please keep us updated.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

billypopowski

Post by billypopowski » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 pm

Okay, I believe I will just have to find a less distracting place to exercise and leave my phone on silent and bring more focus on what I’m doing.

Thank you both for your advice, I will keep you updated as well.

Btw, I live in Australia, is there anyone who practises Muscle Control here?

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Many people in Australia practise Maxalding, its truly international and back in the day when Waltzing Matilda was all the hit, the Oz muscle mags carried several muscle by mail courses almost virtual copies of the original uk version. Dont forget apart from its basic training usage, muscle control also comes in more than handy in physique posing contests, going back to the 1948 Mr Universe, it was Grimeks mastery of muscle control( and strength feats) that helped him gain points over Steve Reeves for the Universe title. The late George Greenwood who lived near me and we were pals, told me that during that historic muscle battle, Geo.Hackensmidt, actually gave his votes to Reeves for the title, but the crowd went mad after Grimek did his stuff and it was that extra bit that took it for him. As for what to think about, well make use of the time as a sort of meditation and as the guys above suggest, actually visually imagine your muscles that you are using, you cant think of two things at a time and dont want music or worst of all people talking to you, its well know that the top muscle men go into a sort of trance when training. Arnold for example would never ever speak to anyone when training, concentrating on his muscles, and not local gossip. David Gentle......ask our correspondent from that far away place Oz, Laurie Smith, re old courses using muscle control.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

billypopowski

Post by billypopowski » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 am

G’day David,

I would like to get into bodybuilding and I believe I could do that using Muscle Control. I am actually planning on going to the Arnold Sports Festival this March here in Australia.

I would like to learn all I can about Muscle Control, how familiar is Laurie with Muscle Control and how do I get into contact with him?

Kind Regards,
Billy Popowski

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi Billy, like David mentioned most of the Australian old timers used muscle control in their training and some put out training courses, two who come to mind are Paul Anderson "The Mighty Apollo," and Don Athaldo.Laurie Smith is a PC historian and his main interest is strand training. He does not use email or social media but is happy to correspond with any interested parties via regular mail. I will PM you his address later.Muscle control is both a great way to start in bodybuilding and to help maintain development in later years.For example 87 year old Arnold Betts in New Zealand keeps in fantastic shape via Maxalding and strand pulling.If you decide to get into a life of PC do not be misled by a lot of the modern methods being pushed today, read the courses in the Library here from the old timers, David has some great training books for sale in the store on PDF and Ray Nobile who has been at the very top in bodybuilding, strongman and powerlifting is available to answer questions on this forum.Stay away from drugs and do it the natural way. By the way have you checked out the Australian PC series in the Library? I think you will be surprised at the wealth of PC talent Australia has produced.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates