Which physical culturists were vegetarian?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Handson

Re: Which physical culturists were vegetarian?

Post by Handson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am

peter yates wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:55 am
David Gentle wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:25 am
Re eating, a great hobby, does anyone believe or know of the results of Vince Gironda supposedly eating so many eggs? I have read various accounts and seen differing evidence of whats good and bad re eating eggs. When kids out in the wild countryside i lived, we did eat some of the larger wild birds eggs after boiling them, but i quit one day after breaking the shell to find a fully formed baby bir (dead and boiled) inside and went back to relying on hazel nuts and blackberries to sustain us during out daily trips to our tree house in a local cops, supplemented by the occasional nicked pint of milk off the milk cart when he had to slow down going up a steep hill, ......naughty boy David
David, when i was a kid,and for many years after, i would eat anything and everything that was not tied down.I also nicked the odd pint of milk off the cart when it stopped and the farmer was not looking. In those days it was delivered by horse and cart.
Regards,Peter.
Peter
Even the mighty Marciano it seems was partial to a binge on the legumes.
I hope he slept alone on this occasion or if not anyone else present was suffering from anosmia.
Regards
Handson
Marciano Goes Seriously Veggie 1963.png
Marciano Goes Seriously Veggie 1963.png (865.58 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Yep, that pea soup will do it. ;)
Peter Yates

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Whilst looking up Rocky Marciano I came across Archie Moore.

Archie Moore is reported to have had some strange dieting ideas. He claimed his success in boxing was from a secret diet he learned from Australian Aboriginal people. Apparently he did not chew meat but he drank it, i.e. chicken broth. Some say it was all a publicity stunt and a hoax. I will look into it.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am

Well that makes sense as most of the nutrients in a food go into the water when they are boiled.I remember growing up hearing that if you boil vegetables you may as well drink the water if you want the goodness.Also don't forget the old Jewish remedy for anything that ails you,the good old chicken soup.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:36 am

peter yates wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am
Well that makes sense as most of the nutrients in a food go into the water when they are boiled.I remember growing up hearing that if you boil vegetables you may as well drink the water if you want the goodness.Also don't forget the old Jewish remedy for anything that ails you,the good old chicken soup.
Regards,Peter.
Yeah I keep reading about chicken consumption amongst some of the older bodybuilders.

Al Beckles is now 90 years old but he's been on a chicken diet most of his life, they called this "pollo-vegetarian" meaning he only eats chicken and vegetable foods no red meat or fish. He's the only one I have seen doing this but the promotion of chicken has been quite popular amongst bodybuilders.

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:37 am

Someone recently told me Jim Morris was the first vegan bodybuilder but I don't think that is true, there are probably a few that pre-date him. He died age 80.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:01 am

I am sure you are right.From what i know Morris became a vegan after many years of eating animal produce.There must have been others well before that and some that had always been vegan, though in the scheme of things very few.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:12 am

peter yates wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:12 am
Regards,Peter.
It is best to steam veggies rather than boil them. Get used to eating them "Al dente ".

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:26 am

I agree Tom,steaming is the best way to preserve most of the nutrients.However stir frying as the Chinese do also seals in most of the nutrients and the veges should be crisp.Baking is OK but boiling,unless making a soup or stew is the least efficient nutrition wise.I usually have a mix of steamed veges every evening meal and a big salad for lunch with protein of choice. I save some of the steamed veges to mix in with my morning omelette the day after.Now winter is coming i will be making more stews though.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:06 am

I was reading through the hopc library about earle lidermann and in his mail order course he tells the trainee to adopt a vegetarian diet with plenty of milk.

Did he also follow that advice?