Long Duration holds(isometrics)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

Re: Long Duration holds(isometrics)

Postby charles atlas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:38 pm

sticksb wrote:Nice to see you post again . The York propaganda stated 6 seconds in a position hold .
What science they based this on is unknown to me . It seemed to work for pressing
overhead after I modified the portable power rack I bought from them . They sold
this piece with way too narrow a spread between the uprights . Familiar tune .
Market and sell first don't sweat customer problems too much .The course that
came with it had Bill March doing the exercises . He could not have preformed
the demos in the portable version of the rack they sold .After puttering around for
several months with the iso holds I came to the conclusion this was a bandwagon
training type deal (York's flavor of the month). Good squat and bench press rack
(outside the pins ) and a sneaky good leg press situation , if set up right .

We must see these 6 secs holds but we must determine range and resting periods.
charles atlas

Postby sticksb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 am

3 six second periods for each iso position .
1. Standing press position
starting @ chin top pins set to eye level (brow) 3 x 6 seconds bar against pins in top position .
starting @ eye level top pins set to just before lock out 3 x 6 seconds " " " " " .
3 minutes rest in between each 6 second push .
2. Pulling position
starting @ just below the knee ( dead hang clean position ) top pins set to waist height when
legs straighten . same sets/seconds.
3. Squat position
starting in low squat (comfortable not rock bottom) top pins set @ 1/2 squat position . This
was brutal as low back always felt "strange" the next day. same sets/seconds .
The York portable PR finally became just a squat / bench and press stand as the isometrics
proved stale and boring . On occasion I trained with Olympic lifters and almost none did rack
isometrics over the long haul.
sticksb

Postby Mobster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:43 am

Talbot and Sticksb have it right. As I say I've seen NO further studies or even articles/references in the 37 years I've trained and read on PC which hinted at longer times on Isometrics.

I do have to ask (thanks for your honest reply) why you haven't tested yourself since 2006? That's 11 years!!

Outside the Isometrics: One thing we can all be guilty of training wise (I know I am and have been) is choosing to do what we like and are good and not admit to not always doing what we ought to do. I, for example, don't do nearly enough stretching. Back when I first competed I was killing the grippers but was, at best, mediocre, on other grip lifts. And it took 2-3 years for the penny to drop. I ought to spend 20-minutes a day - every day stretching. But I don't.
Mobster

Postby charles atlas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Mobster, as isometric exercises I do are not similar to any regular isotonic one It cannot test any improvement in strentgh.
The way I train my pecs as the most similar to a bench press is a wall push which I do with the help of a long towel round my back. I grab it from its sides to add more stress.
charles atlas

Postby sticksb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:11 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 323 times
I loved the mid-press position . It worked
well for my press and entire body strength , probably the only value I took away
from frank power rack work (what it claimed it was intended for) . The other
image is of the " iso curl spring tensioner " . Loaded in the middle with an old
suspension spring this gizmo was good for building arm strength . Good for curl ,
upright row , and press holds . Used it in the 6 second method .
sticksb

Postby Mobster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm

There's arguably far more benefit, in my opinion in what Sticksb shows that pure static isometric work. In both the examples there's some movement before the static isometric work. You're pushing from the bottom position to the mid-point in example one and to the point where the spring extends no further (most have a cord inside to stop them being over-stretched).

Interestingly enough the actual Charles Atlas also has you doing full range movements isotonically: http://www.isometric-training.com/Charl ... trics.html This formed his Dynamic Tension training. That's not to say he didn't try toning the muscles via isometric work because he did.

One thing I've taught when I coach is flexing the muscle being worked as it moves the weight. This is, at its purest, what many pro bodybuilders refer to as the mind-muscle connection. As a strength athlete I'm concerned only with moving the weight to the required position. But a bodybuilder is concerned with building muscle. If they can even semi-flex the muscle being worked while they lift... it'll take no time at all to exhaust it and get the desired result.

DT or Isotonic work is also what many martial artists do when you see them working their movements out on their own (no opponent). The image of Bruce Lee, all toned and ripped, with his hands in front open but like claws is one such example of a mid-point movement captured.
Mobster

Postby charles atlas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Dynamic Tension course has many isometrics and others that takes movement.
The idea was to put great effort in each exersice.
I believe, CA`s DT lack of quantity of reps, secs and resting periods between set and workouts.
Eventhough, it was my main routine after leaving weights many years ago.
charles atlas

Postby Mobster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm familiar with the original Nautilus machines. I can see, as well as the exercises you use now, some benefit to machines working the top (or strongest) position isometrically (via a cam and a static point- maybe preset or adjustable??)
Mobster

Previous

Return to PC Discussion Group