We have a question on our Facebook page (from South Africa)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

We have a question on our Facebook page (from South Africa)

Postby Harry Hayfield » Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Good day... My name is Francois Cleophas. I am trying to locate a place that has a set of Health and Strength magazines from1898 till c.1960...... especially the 1950's and the picture of Mona Small..... I am currently a senior lecturer in sport history at Stellenbosh University, South Africa... Thank You and Kind Regards.....

Can anyone help our Afrikaans friend?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Re: We have a question on our Facebook page (from South Afri

Postby peter yates » Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Harry,
i am not sure what David has but i do know that David Horne has quite a collection especially of the earlier editions.He can be contacted via his website World of Grip.Hope this helps.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Mobster » Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 am

Once, when visiting Nobby Norris's house in Mile End in North London, Colin Norris (of Nabba) showed me bound volumes of some very old (1900's?) issues of Health & Strength. David might have their contact info.
Mobster

Postby David Gentle » Fri May 19, 2017 1:22 pm

I Know Bill Norris had all the early bound volumes as he told me, hoping to sell them later in life as a "pension" When Bill died i would think the volumes went to Norman?? Also know David Webster had the whole set from bound to modern slim line issues. but suspect they too may have been sold? or at least Davids sons has them. Alan Radley bought a lot of early bound v olumes off Malcolm Whyatt, I know Roy Edwards late owner of the mag, didn't get them which is a shame. Also know current o wners the Feesleys are trying to obtain a complete collection,but doubt if they ever will. I assume Terry Todds gang has them in Texas? I have a mixed bag, earliest one 1902 volume, then gaps, until around 1910, then most from 1932 to date. I could probably find the item requested if given better clues. Also know David Horne will photo copy for a price most early issues, maybe the one sought, but please dont worry Dave at the moment as he is going through a tense time with his family with serious health problems with which we hope all goes well. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby Mobster » Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm

The op on David's daughter was a success.
Mobster

Postby peter yates » Sat May 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Sorry to hear about David,s daughter but glad the operation went well and she is in recovery.Blessings to the whole family.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Tom Balchin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:16 am

Hi everyone - Dianne Bennett showed me a stash belonging to Wag -I have pics of all the bound editions she has somewhere, but from what I can recall they are fairly limited in date - ie, from 1940's to 1970's...
Re Malcolm - he kindly gave me his own globe barbell - one of the very first in my collection - which can be seen in this pic - it's the smaller globe barbell on the floor. For Mobster Steve's interest is an 81kg thick handle training dumbbell made by Stan Pike, just behind the big 'Inch Pathe' bell. The Stan Pike bell has an Inch diameter handle as can be seenm but an extended handle (not sure why). I also have a 56kg Stan Pike which has the same long handle feature. Stan has made very few big bells like this - Mark R tells me that he has never made another 81kg. Have you ever met up with Stan, Steve or got any equipment from him back in the days? ;)
Attachments
Dr Tom Balchin image 2.jpg
Dr Tom Balchin image 2.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Tom Balchin

Postby Mobster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 am

Not since the OHF dinner days. I recall a story of myself and Richard Vizor trying to get Stan to go into commercial production of Kettlebells (he made an 84kg one for the OHF aka 'The Death Star') just before they took off.

I've three globe style dumbbells. One given to me by Gorden Allen, my Strength Shop 78kg Circus Dumbbell and, of course, my Millennium (Mark Jeanes has tried to buy it twice).
Mobster

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Tom Balchin wrote:Hi everyone - Dianne Bennett showed me a stash belonging to Wag -I have pics of all the bound editions she has somewhere, but from what I can recall they are fairly limited in date - ie, from 1940's to 1970's...
Re Malcolm - he kindly gave me his own globe barbell - one of the very first in my collection - which can be seen in this pic - it's the smaller globe barbell on the floor. For Mobster Steve's interest is an 81kg thick handle training dumbbell made by Stan Pike, just behind the big 'Inch Pathe' bell. The Stan Pike bell has an Inch diameter handle as can be seenm but an extended handle (not sure why). I also have a 56kg Stan Pike which has the same long handle feature. Stan has made very few big bells like this - Mark R tells me that he has never made another 81kg. Have you ever met up with Stan, Steve or got any equipment from him back in the days? ;)

Awesome stuff Tom! As always, thanks for sharing! Gotta ask, why's the handle on that barbell in the photo designed like that? Just to contour to the hands better for a superior grip?
DannyBoy

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Mobster wrote:Not since the OHF dinner days. I recall a story of myself and Richard Vizor trying to get Stan to go into commercial production of Kettlebells (he made an 84kg one for the OHF aka 'The Death Star') just before they took off.

I've three globe style dumbbells. One given to me by Gorden Allen, my Strength Shop 78kg Circus Dumbbell and, of course, my Millennium (Mark Jeanes has tried to buy it twice).

Hey Steve. I've seen your Millennium dumbbell, but do you have any photos of the other two? I'd love to see 'em.... :D
DannyBoy

Return to PC Discussion Group