HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

Re: HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Postby peter yates » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:56 pm

David Gentle wrote:
scan0020.jpg
and another, this is Eddy Elllwoods mum lifting the Inch dumbell with two hands, that better than i could do with three David

Great Photo,Eddy's mum is a strong lady,great legs, ;) Does she train?
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby peter yates » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 pm

David Gentle wrote:
scan0019.jpg
Hi Mobster, just seeing if i can get photos on message. David

The Mobster rules.Top photo.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Mobster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Great upload David :D
Mobster

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 pm

David Gentle wrote:
scan0019.jpg
Hi Mobster, just seeing if i can get photos on message. David

David Gentle wrote:
scan0020.jpg
and another, this is Eddy Elllwoods mum lifting the Inch dumbell with two hands, that better than i could do with three David

Great photos David, impressive on both accounts! Did Eddy Ellwood himself lift the Inch Dumbbell at that event? I would imagine he was capable of the feat....
DannyBoy

Postby Mobster » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:16 am

I'm not sure if it was at the same time or another dinner (I think it was the year before) but at one both Eddy Ellwood and Bill Richardson lifted the Inch from the floor multiple times.
Mobster

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am

Mobster wrote:I'm not sure if it was at the same time or another dinner (I think it was the year before) but at one both Eddy Ellwood and Bill Richardson lifted the Inch from the floor multiple times.

Nice, thanks for the info Steve. Did Eddy ever compete in any grip specific contests or did he just stick to the regular strongman contests?
DannyBoy

Postby Mobster » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm

As far as I know he trained strength for strongman only.
Mobster

Postby David Gentle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 am

Mobster is right,both Eddy and Bill Richardson lifted the Inch dumbell, but Bill lifted with what seemed the easiest of effort. Later another guy, who like the wife, names escapes me. (Sloan??) he lifted overhead the Inch bell and then picked up the millenium dumbell as well.( I did write about it and put photos in Health and Strength.) The Ellwood family are a lovely bunch, Eddies mum and Dad have to be seen to be believed. His mum does train (or did)and his dad,another Eddy i think, has the biggest chest I have seen a super bloke.I really miss those get togethers. p.s. i did also move the challenge bell, i gave it a kick and it moved about an inch, does that count? David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby David Gentle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

Oh I am back again, re grip strength, naming no names, but at a certain British strong mans contest, the evil villein of the peace, the handsome Paul Shaw, had a set of Iron Mind grippers, he was opening and closing with what looked like ease. He then went up to about four or five "Britains Strongest Man" competitors and challenged them to close the gripper. Five tried and none succeeded so Paul showed them how. They sort of slunk (is that a word?) off and Paul has been banned from all such future events...well he wasnt, but should be. I dont think paul ever got the real credit due him for his genuine amazing strong grip, the only thing that beats him is his wallet strap and Sue from time to time. David Gentle. another p.s. ask Peter Y to show you the genuine photos of yours truly, lifting a blacksmiths anvil by the horn with three fingers, followed by stretching a three strand set of chest expanders with just two fingers of each hand...even Pete was amazed at the strength of this oldie. no kidding he has the evidence on his camera to share. David Gentle still taking my cocoa.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby peter yates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Yes,i have the evidence and photos are forthcoming.Have to be seen to be believed.
Peter Yates
peter yates

PreviousNext

Return to PC Discussion Group