Beers and tonics to aid training

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, peter yates, DannyBoy

Re: Beers and tonics to aid training

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Now this could be a fun workout.... What do you all think? :D :lol:
DannyBoy

Postby sticksb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Downloaded the routine Danny . Went to the beverage terminal and
picked up 6 cases for training purposes . Over did it and trained 3 times
in one day . Had to add " reverse crunch on knees over toilet bowl " as
finisher ...
sticksb

Postby peter yates » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi Chris,
you should know by now that you have to break into a new program over a couple of weeks. No wonder you had a bad reaction.Now start again but cut back on the 'sets' please.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:12 am

Alcohol , in any form , is never an aid to training . It's a social ritual that I
indulged in and I always had to make up ground I had lost when a couple of
post workout cold ones led to a " bender ". I love beer but now it's relegated
to "dessert" status . Once or twice a month ....maybe .
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am

sticksb wrote:Downloaded the routine Danny . Went to the beverage terminal and
picked up 6 cases for training purposes . Over did it and trained 3 times
in one day . Had to add " reverse crunch on knees over toilet bowl " as
finisher ...

LOL! :lol:

sticksb wrote:Alcohol , in any form , is never an aid to training . It's a social ritual that I
indulged in and I always had to make up ground I had lost when a couple of
post workout cold ones led to a " bender ". I love beer but now it's relegated
to "dessert" status . Once or twice a month ....maybe .

Seriously though, you're absolutely right Sticks. I used to party a lot back in my teens during high school & post-high school and of course that included plenty of boozing, heck back then I was the "king" of the beer bong. Now at 31 (& it's been this way for years) I'll have a beer or mixed drink here & there, in a social setting or just because I feel like one (or 2) after a long day or whatever, but there's no real regularity to my drinking. When I buy beer it's typically a 6 pack, occasionally a 12 pack, and it can last me weeks or sometimes even months because I usually don't drink that often these days. Alcohol certainly doesn't go hand-in-hand with my training, much less aid in it.
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey Danny,
i think most of us have been there when we were young,i started drinking at 15 but after 20 only drank sporadically till eventually stopping altogether. England is well known for its pub culture and when i was growing up local pubs were the center of social life. One thing in those days was that most people 'earned ' their drinks, meaning they had done a hard days physical labor. Often after a hard training session in summer while the nights were still light we would sit outside the pub and have a couple of beers feeling we deserved them.This of course was more of a social thing and not meant to replace lost fluids. :D
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Dangerous Dave Cummings and I would train for 1-1/2 hours like madmen twice a week
through the early 80's until Dave flew the coop for Texas . We would light the grill on the
last 30 minute stretch run of the workout , pitch wings and ribs on the cooker and have a
couple of cases iced up in the summer . Every Thursday a couple of friends would show up
after the last set of curls , stick their heads through the basement door and yell "Is that
weightlifting horseshit OVER YET !!! ? " COME ON IN ! " was generally the reply unless it
was max day which " NO ! GET THE #!@% OUT "! was appropriate .
sticksb

Postby Tom K » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Do you guys not think that the relaxing effect of alcohol, can be useful after heavy training? Aid sleep and clear the mind?

There has been much written about the "French paradox" where they drink more than average and eat more fats but are healthier overall. From a physical culture standpoint, good sleep and lack of stress is probably the best "supplement" by a long shot. Alcohol can provide that
Tom K

Postby sticksb » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Socializing was a welcome byproduct of training . We trained in a small group and hung
together and had fun together . Some of that fun included drinking . Common sense dictates
moderation in alcohol consumption when related to heavy strength training that is goal
oriented (championship level). By all means celebrate victories , participate in club events
and have fun but never let that fun become an impediment to training .
Alcohol as a training aid ? If a post workout beer , a shot of whiskey or a glass
of wine with dinner is part of a relaxing nightly routine then I propose a toast ...
sticksb

Postby peter yates » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Hey Tom,
while i have lost all taste for alcohol myself and have no real need for it,what you say has some truth to it. Being able to relax and sleep well is one of the pillars of training success and of course just overall well being. As Sticks noted a couple beer,shot or glass of wine after training can be a relaxation aid as well as just enjoying time with friends. The main thing is that it does not become a crutch and can be taken or left at will. Like any thing in life moderation is the best policy but what is moderate for one may be different for another. If you are healthy and happy raise a glass to yourself.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

PreviousNext

Return to PC Discussion Group