Health and Strength League

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

drob357
Site Admin

Re: Health and Strength League

Post by drob357 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks for that Tom. David i hope you can find the file and post it in the Library, i am sure it will be very interesting. I knew several people who had been league members and had also attended the summer camps.At one time there were League members allover the world. In the 30's Bob Hoffman started something similar with his Strength and Health League and was given the idea so i have heard from George Jowett. Anyway look forward to hearing more about this.
Regards,Peter.
Hi All,
I found a copy of David's 4-part series on this subject and posted a copy in the Strength Blog of the HOPC Library. Also see my post in the "Announcements" section of this Forum.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Diane, thanks for posting David's report on the development of H&S magazine.What was being discussed though was the H&S league which was an offshoot from the magazine.Hopefully David will get information from Malcolm Whyatt.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am

Will do my best to encourage Malcolm to let me use his amazing lists of not only the H&S league, but alsoNABBA, and you will have some suprises if it goes out as written, ie. some skeletons in the cupboard.Also out there must be Ivan Dunbar's material for a book he was writing, with a lot of pix i sent him, sadly he died, but i am hoping his daughter will let me buy up his manuscript and get it out on our site.. David. Re Health and Strength, now i am getting a bit miffed/annoyed as they hold loads of my photos, several articles, not only mine, but ones other people sent me to use, eg. Johnny Fitness and also one from a top wrestler, finally i used to give them top books for prizes to encourage subs, and the last one i sent in for free was a signed one from Jack La Lanne, which i now wish i had never sent, does anyone live around the Aximinster area and their home address? and could give them a visit, if not, i may have to take the muscle mob around if Mobster allows me? David practising ludo, the gentle art .
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:17 pm

[attachment=0]IMG.jpg A little league humor ...Very Little...
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (164.22 KiB) Viewed 3006 times

Jarett Hulse

Post by Jarett Hulse » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi David, were you ever able to get Wendy permission to post Malcolms piece. I spoke to Malcolm on the phone once about 9 years ago. He was very kind. I bought a few things from him through the years

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:04 am

Re H&S, yes i have all of Malcolms body of work re the league etc, also my own files, i was leaguer 229291 and also a life member of NABBA forgotten number its an early one, wonder if it still allows me free entry to NABBA shows? currently doing muscleanous,but will dig out the other stuff and see if we can put it into some sort of document if only as a tribute to malcolm a man who did more for H&S and the OHF awards than any other, thanks to him, i was able to meet up with many famous names from the pc world. shame it ended. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm

That would be great David, glad Jarett brought it up as i was just reading a H&S where Malcolm had just started documenting this.I know we are keeping you on your toes,but what else have you to do during the lock down other than drink tea and eat cakes. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates