A Bit o' This 'n' That

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Bruce Tackett

A Bit o' This 'n' That

Post by Bruce Tackett » Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm

As anyone who breathlessly reads this forum knows, I am new here. Let me introduce myself. I'm Bruce.

I thought I'd share with you some of my inane ramblings from years gone by.

Healthy Faux Mayonnaise - I came up with this recipe as a healthy substitute for mayonnaise:

Ingredients

1/2 cup Hummus
1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
A squirt of approx. 2 tsp. raw unfiltered honey
Sprinkle with approx. 1/4 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients in a bowl using a fork and then blend with a spoon

The lemon juice softens the hummus and makes it more spreadable. This doesn't taste exactly like mayonnaise, but it's pretty close. It has it's own unique flavor and makes a delicious sandwich spread. And looky here. I even made deviled eggs with it. Yum! Yum!

Dangling Dumbbell Curls - I'm probably not the first to come up with this, but I did think of it independently, so I have a right to name it - "Dangling Dumbbell Curls".

Take a dumbbell in one hand and bend forward, supporting yourself with your other hand braced on something - a table or whatever. Let the arm that is holding the dumbbell dangle. From there, curl the dumbbell up to your chest. This really bombs the ol' biceps! I've been doing this with a fat bar dumbbell, alternating the reps between hammer curls and screw curls - two exercises in one!

Making My Life Easier - A few years ago I got an apple slicer - the greatest invention since sliced bread. Before getting this, apples, that very nutritious fruit, wasn't high on my list. Slicing and then coring an apple with a paring knife can be a bit of a pain. But with the sclicer, one fell push and you've cored the apple and have eight slices. Ever since getting this thing, I've had apple slices every morning with my breakfast. You may be wondering, "Why not just eat an apple?" One whole apple is too much with the rest of my breakfast. I have a few slices which is just right. The remaining slices go into a Tupperware container for the next day.

And if that wasn't enough, I recently came across something I didn't know exists - a mango slicer! I love mangoes and I had just happened to get a nice, big, juicy organic mango a couple of days previous. As anyone who has ever peeled a mango knows, it can take forever and a day. This slicer just goes right down over the pit and slices the mango in half, creating two bowls full of mango. I gave one half to my wife and we ate the mango out of the "bowls" with spoons, like ice cream. Since then we have been having delicious, healthy mango everyday.

Assist Pullups - At some point in my late forties, pullups began hurting my elbows. I'd let them heal and then start again and then hurt my elbows again, so I had to give up that exercise. Now days I sit on the floor with my legs spread out. I reach up and grab hold of a pair of handles, let my legs go limp, and do pullups. I suppose I'm using about 60% of my bodyweight which enables me to do as many pullups as I can without hurting my elbows. Even if someone can do a fair few pullups, I think this exercise would be beneficial.

Last edited by Bruce Tackett on Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

Henk1966

Re: A Bit o' This 'n' That

Post by Henk1966 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Lookin good Bruce,keep doing what you do as will I.

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Henk1966 wrote:Lookin good Bruce,keep doing what you do as will I.
And then we will both keep doing what we're doing. We ought to start a club.

- Joe the Circle

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 pm

This is my triceps bomber. I do one arm French curls on this. The handles are padded blade-hand loops. I do the French curls with my right arm using the band set-up on the left side, and then use the bands on the right side for my left arm.

The angle at which the bands are pulled is just perfect, really isolating the tris. When you do a French curl with a dumbbell, the resistance is straight down on your arm when your arm is fully extended, but with this, the resistance is pulling down and back as you lock your arm.

- Joe the Circle

Henk1966

Post by Henk1966 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:25 am

Great find,works like a charm for sure!

The key of muscle growth is simple...resistance..whether it,s weights or strands,when there is enough resistance and willpower one will reap the benefits!

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am

Bruce, I note you have a lot of what we called "Bullworkers" Dave Prowse who I have known for donkeys years, used to advertise those, but confidentially said they were not much good except for the pecs when you compress the apparatus, the other exercises were sort of made up to fit the apparatus, So are they of any use? did you find even one exercise they are useful for? Interested as i have an ancient version, but didnt use it much, preferring another gadjet a sort of "bendy bar" which was tough on the wrists and again good at compression exercises. Be interested to know as i said earlier, you seem to have a lot around the room. Maybe you are using it as a bow and arrow.?? speaking of which i think the old time archers did use strong bows for exerises, some bows being almost impossible to pull unless you were very strong. David Gentle. p.s. I have sets of strands all over the place at different strengths, too lazy to change the springs so they come in all strengths. I know some guys do the same with various strength dumbells, mind you the wife is not so keen having to shift my stuff so she can hoover....
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm

David...

I have one brown handled Bullworker I got about 40 years ago and which I used sporadically over the years. The others you see I got within the last ten years through trades and Ebay. I got them because I began seriously incorporating isos in with my workouts, and as a Yielding Isometric exerciser, the Bullworker is ingenious. No setups required. You can move quickly from one iso to another, doing any multitude of angles and positions.

Through experimentation and lengthy iso-only routines, I discovered that isometrics do have their benefits. So, I now perform an iso with each of my exercises (an isometric curl before a set of curls, etc.), sort of putting that final kabosh on each of my exercises.

The reason I eventually acquired six bullies is because of the varying resistance of each. I need a heavy resistance for some exercises and a lighter resistance for others. Moreover, I simply like the feel of the Bullworkers. I love grabbing hold of those big, flumpy handles and squeezing the tubes together as hard as I can, and then holding it there. It's a real adreniline rush.

- Joe the Circle

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat May 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Bruce, i think you would have been a better advert than Prowse for Bullworkers, who didnt have much faith in them , whereas, you seem to have found some good resulting moves. They have to be good for the lats and of course pecs, and somewhere along the line you have found something that built your great triceps. I dont even know if they are for sale, ? as for strands i spoke about earlier, having multiple sets hanging all over the place, i still buy them in junk or charity shops simply cant resist them, i think the truth is we are all nuts. and tell that cheeky sod Mobster, my gym was not only three miles away, up hill and usually in the snow, but i also had to dodge snipers bullets from a rival gym who were jealous of my result showing methods unlike their shiny chrome gym full of those dinky little pink dumbells. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 pm

I don't want to sound like an ad for Bullworker, but think about it. Here's a quality device that you either push or pull as far as your strength will allow from any multitude of angles. When you've reached that point to where you can't move it any further, you hold it there. A gauge let's you see how far you've gone and is an indicator of increased strength over a period of time. Doing this consistently over an extended period has gotta do somethin'. Yielding Isometrics will definitely build strength but won't build size to the extent that Progressive Resistance will. But, combine the two, and, well, I just shudder to think. A lot of the exercises I do with my bullies are of my own creation.

I am friends with the president of Bullworker USA, John Hughes, whom I've met personally, and who is a really really nice, regular guy. He is a smallish, wiry, yet very muscular guy who is strong as an ox and who competes in senior wrestling. Here's his website: Bullworker USA

I might add that the new generation of Bullworkers employs a new technology, and they don't clunk and screech when compressed like the original ones did. The action is quiet and smooth as silk.

Did you ever see "Dodgeball: An Underdog's Story"? It's about two rival gyms - "Average Joes Gym" and a multi-million dollar chrome plated gym. It was hilarious!

Lastly, I lived in London in 1973. I remember getting an Indian dinner in a restaurant for 50P.

- Joe the Circle

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Hey Bruce,
one of the great things about this forum is the ideas we share.Thanks for the tips you have given us here. Now as for the Bullworker, i have had some good experience with them over the years and i still have one my parents bought me in the early 1980s. Before that i had one in the 60s at a time when i was working long,hard hours roofing and could not get to the gym for a few months. With carrying tiles up a ladder part of day my legs and cardio were well taken care of,and a few nights a week my mate and i would do the Bullworker, ab wheel and push ups. Not only did we not lose anything but sprouted some muscle we did not know we had. Like you we made up some of our own exercises besides the standard ones. Again in the 70s, when i was putting a lot of time into the martial arts, the Bullworker came in very handy and combined with cables and the calisthenics i was doing for martial arts i was in great shape. Only took a few short workouts a week too. These days i enjoy picking it up and the feel it has which is unique,also getting my son using it as he has a very busy schedule and does mainly body weight and cable training.Glad to hear someone else has had value from it.Anyone else here used them? Oh and David,you can still find them in junk shops and car boot sales.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates