My thumb strengthener

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Henk1966

My thumb strengthener

Post by Henk1966 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 am

thumb strengthener.jpg
thumb strengthener.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
[attachment=0]

My newest construction, didn,t invent it myself,saw a pic on a rock climbers site and was blown away by its simplicity.

Place your thumb in as many rubberbands you think you can handle,grab with your four fingers the opposite side and try to bring your thumb to the opposite side as well,four seconds up,four seconds down.

It,s my new best friend!!!! :lol: :lol:

Bruce Tackett

Re: My thumb strengthener

Post by Bruce Tackett » Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Fantastic! I recall an article long ago in one of the muscle mags - "Your Thumb: The Most Neglected Muscle in Your Body".

Again, the simplicity and effectiveness of this little honey makes it perfect Grunt & Shen fodder, so I'd like to add it to the rest of your stuff if that's ok with you.

So, when are you going to do something with that spring you posted in another thread?
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

Henk1966

Post by Henk1966 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Be my guest Bruce,it,s fine by me!!

Waiting for material to arrive,sitting by the mailbox that is why I,m not much on the forum at the moment... :lol:

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri May 18, 2018 10:56 pm

I sense Kee-Klamp 90s . The ninja is happy .

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat May 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Great exerciser for hitch hickers. David.Back to the truth, bet you didnt know this! There was a UK wrestler called "Dazzling Joe Cornieus" he wrote a book called "Thumbs up" (honest you could probably find it on Amazon) anyway reason is he was infamous for when in a wrestling bout, of sticking his thumb up his opponants rectum " no bull. Joe is still around and lives on the Canary Islands, i bet he would have loved your thumb strengthener.. Dave, still hurt by cruel remarks about my training days. oh yee of little faith.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 pm

"Dazzling Joe Cornieus" was also notorious for sucking his thumb.
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon May 21, 2018 2:36 pm

I think that's what made his moustache grow.....DG
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Just an update on "Dazzling joe Cornileous" he is now back living in uk, in Brighton, is 90 years old, looks fabulous and has stopped biting his nails Bruce.(Private joke) I am still trying to find out what happened to an American Gary Stick, no relation to our Chris, who had a unique gripping gadjet. I wrote about him in Strength Athlete, but cant find it. Paul Shaw made me a similar piece of equipment which was great, wonder if Paul reads this he can find out the apparatus i mean, or if he can find the article. ? Does anyone still use the old wrist rolling forearm builder? Easy to make, just a rod of wood or metal, with a hole in middle, chord hanging down, weights tied to the bottom of chord, then by wrist/forearm strength alone, you wound the weights up the chord to touch the bar.? Once it was a standard extra with barbell or strand sets. I suppose its hard to make it competitive, but it certainly works the wrists. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Yes David,
the old wrist roller is alive and well in many shapes and sizes. There are quite a few designs on Bruces's website. Mine is mounted so i can use heavy weights without shoulders tiring out first,also about 2 ins thick.Have some smaller size traditional wooden ones too. I bet most of the guys on this site use some kind of wrist roller in their training.Nice to know old jumping Joe is still doing well at 90 and has stopped sucking his thumb.
Regards.Peter.
Peter Yates