What Are Triceps Extensions?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Bruce Tackett

What Are Triceps Extensions?

Post by Bruce Tackett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:43 am

I've gotten the impression that there are some people here who have somewhat dabbled in weights, so I've got a question for you...

I have always called pushing a barbell or dumbbells up from behind your neck Triceps Curls or French Curls. I see, though, that these are sometimes called Triceps Extensions. This has caused some confusion when I've talked about this particular exercise. I've always understood Triceps Extensions to be pushing a weight from your hip straight back, as in a skiing motion. So, which is which, and what are the proper names for these two exercises?
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

Talbot

Re: What Are Triceps Extensions?

Post by Talbot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:49 am

Triceps muscles, extend the arm, therefore any exercise that involves the Triceps is a Triceps Extension. Triceps do not "curl," or flex the arm.

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Talbot wrote:Triceps muscles, extend the arm, therefore any exercise that involves the Triceps is a Triceps Extension. Triceps do not "curl," or flex the arm.
That makes sense, so what would you call the two different exercises?

- Joe the Circle

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:10 pm

If they extend the arm, then they are Triceps Extensions!

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Or, to be more precise, if they work the Triceps to extend the arm, then they are Triceps Extensions.

There are other Extensor Muscles in your arm in the forearm and hands, and let's not forget that important little muscle that extends the arm too, the Anconeus.

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 pm

oh, brother.......

When listing exercises, it would be confusing to have two different exercises with the same name. I didn't make up those names. I've heard the behind the neck thingy called both Triceps Curls and French Curls, although I think that French Curls is specifically done using one arm with a dumbbell.

Anyway, pushing a barbell or dumbbell up from behind your neck - name of exercise?

Pushing weights from your sides straight back - name of exercise?

- Joe the Circle

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Those two names are incorrect, or non-information too. "Triceps Curl" is absurd, as Triceps are extensor muscles. Where as "curls" are done by flexor muscles, as in Biceps, for instance. "French Curls" are again an incorrect description of the exercise being done, and in this case non-information too, since you could call then "Italian Curls," and the average person would equally have no idea of what you are talking about based on the name used. Similar to saying "Skull Crushers," for another Triceps Extension Exercise. Huh?

Precise names for the exercise being done, should be based on an exact description of what the exercise really does, rather than some meaningless "nickname" the exercise has acquired over the years.

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Bruce Tackett wrote:I've gotten the impression that there are some people here who have somewhat dabbled in weights, so I've got a question for you...

I have always called pushing a barbell or dumbbells up from behind your neck Triceps Curls or French Curls. I see, though, that these are sometimes called Triceps Extensions. This has caused some confusion when I've talked about this particular exercise. I've always understood Triceps Extensions to be pushing a weight from your hip straight back, as in a skiing motion. So, which is which, and what are the proper names for these two exercises?
The French Curl and the Tricep Extension are the same exercise. What you're referring to is a Kickback. Kickbacks are mainly seen performed with a dumbell, but I have seen them performed with a barbell as well, though the range of motion with the bar is significantly reduced.

Some people call French Curls, triceps curls and that's not wrong, nor is it wrong to call them triceps extensions. Just like I've seen people call the Upright Row a pullup, as its referred to by Bob Hoffman in his exercise routines.

Its similar to how squats are called Deep Knee Bends. Not wrong. Just a different name for the same thing.

John

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:45 pm

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (122.1 KiB) Viewed 7128 times

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Well, hallelujah! Triceps Extensions and Kickbacks. That's all I wanted to know. Thank you, Sticks!

And thank you, Talbot.

- Joe the Circle