What Are Triceps Extensions?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

colinkbell

Re: What Are Triceps Extensions?

Post by colinkbell » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Everyone please turn to page 136 in Unleashing The Wild Physique, by Vince Gironda. The correct name for the triceps kickback is in fact - The Dumbbell Mulekick !!! Its nice to be back again here, Colin :D
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Colin,now why did you have to go and do that? Just kidding mate,great to have you back too.Now we just need to hear from Danny again.Danny where are you? Anyway Colin how is the training going?Did you read about the H&S mags that Richie scored?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:13 am

Hi Peter, how are you? My training going pretty terrible. Its all over the place and i keep changing my mind. I really cant settle down after all those years of olympic lifting and cant seem to find any new direction or drive. Anyway i am planning a Vince Gironda phase, just waiting for Daryl Connant book Invinceable to arrive. No i didnt read about those H&S mags, i will hunt about here for it. Thanks,Colin.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:49 am

Hi Colin,
Well mate we have all been there, it goes with the territory if you stay with it long enough.Time and circumstance often demands we make changes in how we do things. This is not always easy if we have been focusing on something we really enjoy but for some reason is no longer appropriate. May i ask why you have chosen not to continue with the Olympic lifts? Is it due to injury? If so then you are being wise. One of the best things i love about training is that there are so many ways to get the job done and we can change as needed.However it is much better if we are really enjoying what we are doing. I know you have done some of Vince's workouts before so hopefully this will kick start your enthusiasm again. There is also the phrase "Dance with the one who brought you." By that i mean going back to your first training days and doing what you did then. This always works for me,i do a routine that i made up from mags in my bedroom accompanied by an early 60s CD and i am right back feeling what it was like with that excitement of starting all over again.I did this over the Christmas/new year period when i could not decide on a new program.I was actually a bit burnt out and needed to get away from a fixed training schedule and just go in and have fun.It worked a treat as usual and a new program formed organically.Another one that works for me is to just get outside with my tire,sledgehammer,sandbag etc. Dave Draper writes about what he calls 'slump busters.'Basically these are combinations of exercises that you like to do, usually combined as supersets, such as,bench press/barbell row, curl/lying triceps extension, PBN/lateral raise,etc. Just do what you like with no agenda.Another trick is to get a pack of playing cards and pick an exercise for each of the four,then turn the top card over and do how many reps the card says for that exercise.EG. clubs for press,so 5 of clubs= 5 presses. Just ideas till you can get the fire and back on track.The main thing is that you keep doing something as it is easier to transition into a steady program than to come back after a lay off. Once again a bit long winded,but because i care.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:44 am

HI Colin,, re Gironda, a guy name of Karl Coyne has written what must be the ultimate on Gironda so he is the guy to aski about old stone face.I hated triceps kick backs or whatever you want to call them, usually gave me a load of bruises i didnt need. Dont care what you say, i still think using cables (not chest expanders,but the gym cable/pulley variety) are the greatest for triceps, giving that ultimate contraction feeling, including if you use the rope around the handles method. David Gentle I am sure you know if you seek variety to almost any exercise, then take a browse through Bill Pearls book Keys , plenty of choice for sure.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Bruce Tackett

Post by Bruce Tackett » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am

colinkbell wrote:Everyone please turn to page 136 in Unleashing The Wild Physique, by Vince Gironda. The correct name for the triceps kickback is in fact - The Dumbbell Mulekick !!! Its nice to be back again here, Colin :D
Sierra Exercise Equipment

"Deep within every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives."
- Joe the Circle

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:33 pm

See Bruce, i told you it was opening a can of worms. :lol:
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:10 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi Colin,
Well mate we have all been there, it goes with the territory if you stay with it long enough.Time and circumstance often demands we make changes in how we do things. This is not always easy if we have been focusing on something we really enjoy but for some reason is no longer appropriate. May i ask why you have chosen not to continue with the Olympic lifts? Is it due to injury? If so then you are being wise. One of the best things i love about training is that there are so many ways to get the job done and we can change as needed.However it is much better if we are really enjoying what we are doing. I know you have done some of Vince's workouts before so hopefully this will kick start your enthusiasm again. There is also the phrase "Dance with the one who brought you." By that i mean going back to your first training days and doing what you did then. This always works for me,i do a routine that i made up from mags in my bedroom accompanied by an early 60s CD and i am right back feeling what it was like with that excitement of starting all over again.I did this over the Christmas/new year period when i could not decide on a new program.I was actually a bit burnt out and needed to get away from a fixed training schedule and just go in and have fun.It worked a treat as usual and a new program formed organically.Another one that works for me is to just get outside with my tire,sledgehammer,sandbag etc. Dave Draper writes about what he calls 'slump busters.'Basically these are combinations of exercises that you like to do, usually combined as supersets, such as,bench press/barbell row, curl/lying triceps extension, PBN/lateral raise,etc. Just do what you like with no agenda.Another trick is to get a pack of playing cards and pick an exercise for each of the four,then turn the top card over and do how many reps the card says for that exercise.EG. clubs for press,so 5 of clubs= 5 presses. Just ideas till you can get the fire and back on track.The main thing is that you keep doing something as it is easier to transition into a steady program than to come back after a lay off. Once again a bit long winded,but because i care.
Regards,Peter.
Thanks Peter. I mainly stopped Olympic lifting as it was too risky to bang bar off my throat. That would be disastrous for my opera singing learning. Its hard enough lol.....