David Horne's world record attempt

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

sticksb

Re: David Horne's world record attempt

Post by sticksb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Just Awesome …

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 am

Excellent! Nice to see our own Glenn Ross come on at the end.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 am

Hi Colin, always liked Glenn Ross and the shows he puts on. Comes up with interesting events that really test the contestants.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 am

iN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW, DAVID HORNES FRIEND AND FELLOW GRIP CHAMP, NAIL BENDER BEN READ HAS JUST DIED, HE WAS 86. AS HE LIVED CLOSE TO ME AND HIS WIDOW PEARL HAS NO FAMILY BAR ONE BROTHER, WE ARE HELPING HER WITH BENS FUNERAL AND I HAVE WRITTEN TRIBUTES TO LOCAL PAPER AND FOR CHURCH SERVICE. BEN FAMOUSLY BENT THOUSANDS OF SIX INCH NAILS OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY AND USED TO PUT THEM INTO A SORT OF DAISY CHAIN, HE MADE THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS 4 TIMES, NOT BAD FOR A ONCE POOR BOY WITH A WITHERED LEG. DAVID GENTLE
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 am

Hi David,
so sorry to hear about your friend Benny. It is a good thing his wife has you and Rosemary to help her,this is the times when friends are needed, good for you. I know you have written about Benny in the past and that you are also pretty busy right now,but if you find the original article it would be great if you posted it on the site as he certainly deserves to be remembered for his feats of strength. Either that or write something new about him and include any photos you may have. Not much out there about him which is a shame.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am

Just a snippet about the late Ben Read, when he left school, he worked for an iron monger and used to practice and eventually bend the six inch nails in the shop. After he bent the nails, he would hang them back on the racks. Later the owner, his boss, caught Ben bending the nails and so stopped a weeks wages from Ben to pay for all the nails he had ruined.We have to clear out his shed and amongst the junk are literally hundreds of nails, which i wll bend together three at a time and then sell for scrap......like hell i wlll.....last time i bent a nail was when i "fixed" a shelf for the wife bless her and nearly brought the bloody dividing wall down. Take it from me guys, women are far superior to men when it comes to D.I.Y. David Gentle, searching for the toffee hammer. yummie.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com