The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competitions)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

DannyBoy

The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competitions)

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Did anybody else watch the 2015 World's Strongest Man final on CBS yesterday afternoon? I suppose this question is more so directed to those here who are living in the United States, since CBS is an American broadcast television network and I have no idea of if, when or where it may be or may have been shown outside of the United States.

Harry Hayfield

Re: The World's Strongest Man competition

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 pm

The contest used to be screened on the BBC on public holidays shortly after it happened (usually the Summer holiday at the end of August) but in 2013, Channel 5 in the UK won the contract and since then they have made it a point to broadcast it in conjunction with the British qualifier over Christmas and New Year (therefore in the UK we won't know for the best part of four months)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:10 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:The contest used to be screened on the BBC on public holidays shortly after it happened (usually the Summer holiday at the end of August) but in 2013, Channel 5 in the UK won the contract and since then they have made it a point to broadcast it in conjunction with the British qualifier over Christmas and New Year (therefore in the UK we won't know for the best part of four months)
Oh, so you don't know the results yet? Well then I guess won't spoil anything for you or anyone else. I actually already knew the final result before I even started watching the qualifying rounds. I typically look up the results of the WSM as soon as I know the competition is completed because I don't care to have to wait until whenever it's shown on TV to find out, lol. So I've actually known the outcome for a few weeks, but I still enjoy watching the competition regardless.

Anyway, I think it's great to see the World's Strongest Man competition back on CBS (I think this is the 2nd or 3rd year it's been back on the channel) after being shown on ESPN or one of it's sister channels for years. Not that there's anything wrong with ESPN, it's the top sports channel here in the United States, but CBS is one of the 4 major TV networks here and reaches more homes, and CBS actually is where the competition began. At that, the World's Strongest Man was originally developed for CBS. So it's like the competition has returned home, lol. I wish more strongman competitions were shown on TV here in the United States. I don't know about there in the UK, but strength athletics in general get little TV coverage here.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 am

Well, I will admit that in the UK, it is rather mixed up. Firstly we have Challenge (which is a channel full of archive British television game shows and the occasional Japanese one as well) and on their on demand service (until the end of October) they are showing the 2013 UK Strongest Man competition, then you have EuroSport who show the "World's Strongman League" competition (held all over Europe) and then as I mentioned Channel 5 show the World's Strongest Man competition around Christmas (so it's very difficult, if not impossible, to keep track of these things)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Well, I will admit that in the UK, it is rather mixed up. Firstly we have Challenge (which is a channel full of archive British television game shows and the occasional Japanese one as well) and on their on demand service (until the end of October) they are showing the 2013 UK Strongest Man competition, then you have EuroSport who show the "World's Strongman League" competition (held all over Europe) and then as I mentioned Channel 5 show the World's Strongest Man competition around Christmas (so it's very difficult, if not impossible, to keep track of these things)
Do you mean the Strongman Champions League (http://www.strongmancl.com)? I wish they showed that here in the U.S., &/or Giants Live, Europe's Strongest Man, UK's Strongest Man, Britain's Strongest Man, and so on & so forth. But heck, they don't even show America's Strongest Man, North America's Strongest Man or the Arnold Strongman Classic here (that I've ever seen anyway). Only The World's Strongest Man, but that's better than nothing. At least we're living in an era with the internet and websites like YouTube where you're able to find video of these competitions and view it online.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:30 pm

HI DANNY,
MANY OF THE EVENTS MENTIONED ARE AVAILABLE ON YOU TUBE. I HAVE ESPECIALLY LIKED THE GLENN ROSS UK STRONGEST MAN CONTESTS COMPLETE WITH QUALIFIERS.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:31 pm

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
MANY OF THE EVENTS MENTIONED ARE AVAILABLE ON YOU TUBE. I HAVE ESPECIALLY LIKED THE GLENN ROSS UK STRONGEST MAN CONTESTS COMPLETE WITH QUALIFIERS.
REGARDS, PETER.
Yes, thankfully. If it wasn't for websites like YouTube, DailyMotion & the like, I suppose I wouldn't have any other choice but to settle for just reading the results. I'd still love to see strongman competitions get more coverage on TV though. Maybe one day.... :)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Until this morning I'd actually forgotten that IFSA Strongman use to be shown here on TV a few years ago. Versus (now known as NBCSN) use to regularly show IFSA circa 2006/2007. IFSA went defunct in late 2007 or early 2008 and that was the end of that. Well Versus may have continued showing IFSA for a while afterwards, I can't rightly remember, but obviously it would've been old(er) programming. Anyway, I use to really enjoy watching the IFSA shows. I particularly remember Versus showing the 2006 IFSA Strongman World Championships from Reykjavik, Iceland, which was won by my favorite strongman, "Big Z" Zydrunas Savickas.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 pm

The 2016 World's Strongest Man competition is set to begin in a couple weeks in Botswana. Zydrunas Savickas announced a few weeks ago he wouldn't be able to compete this year due to injury, which is huge and definitely disappointing. Also notably America's Strongest Man Dimitar Savatinov, who placed 7th last year, made a prior commitment to the Arnold Classic Hong Kong (which takes place around the same time as the WSM) so he won't be able to compete either.

Anyway, they released the qualifying groups & events list yesterday. From Group 1 I'm favoring Mark Felix & Matjaz Belsak to qualify for the final, but I could see Johannes Arsjo or Robert Oberst making it through. From Group 2 I'm favoring Eddie Hall & Gregorz Szymanski to qualify, but could see Nick Best being one of the 2 to make it through. For Group 3 definitely Hafthor Bjornsson & Terry Hollands, I think they're in the easiest qualifying group. For Group 4 I'm favoring Laurence Shahlaei & JF Caron, but could definitely see Mikhail Shivlyakov being one of the 2 to make it through. And for Group 5 I believe it's gonna be Brian Shaw and either Benedikt Magnusson or Mateusz Kieliszkowski to make it through.

With Big Z out, Brain Shaw has to be a big favorite to win what would be his 4th WSM Title, but maybe this will be the year that someone steps up and breaks the stronghold that Savickas & Shaw have had on the competition over the last 7 years. We'll see soon enough....
Attachments
WSM 2016.png
WSM 2016.png (189.41 KiB) Viewed 10846 times

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:56 am

I cant remember what i did last week. But i sure can remember as a very young boy being glued to the telly as Geoff Capes, Kaz,OD Wilson and John Paul Sigmursson would go to battle. Then i would eye up longingly a Body Scuplture weights set in the window of a local sports shop! Finally i convinced my dad that i would stick to it, if only he bought me a weights set for Christmas. 30 yrs later, you could say indeed that i stuck to it! :D :D
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3