The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competitions)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

DannyBoy

Re: The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competition

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

Ben "Badger" Brunning won Wales's Strongest Man yesterday. Congratulations to Ben!

The Top 3:
1. Ben "Badger" Brunning
2. Gavin Bilton
3. Richard Bessant

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Danny,
thanks for this, we tend sometimes to forget about the regional, county or small country events, and yet it is from such events that the new crop of world champions emerge. Besides that it is good to see events at a more grass roots level that hark back to the earlier days of the sport. Any more information about the winner Badger? How about you Steve do you know of him?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:35 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi Danny,
thanks for this, we tend sometimes to forget about the regional, county or small country events, and yet it is from such events that the new crop of world champions emerge. Besides that it is good to see events at a more grass roots level that hark back to the earlier days of the sport. Any more information about the winner Badger? How about you Steve do you know of him?
Regards,Peter.
To be honest, I don't know too much about Ben "Badger" Brunning. I know this was his second Wales's Strongest Man win in a row and he just placed 10th at Britain's Strongest Man back at the end of January. He qualified for UK'S Strongest Man due to this win. Here's the link to his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ben.brunning?h ... aR1fTQUuLY

I second your question to Steve and will add to it; do you know of Ben Brunning, Steve, and if so, have you ever met & trained with him?

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 pm

The Arnold Strongman Australia takes place on Friday & Saturday. Here's the listed lineup for the competition:

Matjaž Belšak
J-F Caron
Rauno Heinla
Terry Hollands
Rongo Keene
Mateusz Kieliszkowski
Martins Licis
Trey Mitchell
Mateusz Ostaszewski
Mathew Ragg
Dimitar Savatinov
Mikhail Shivlyakov
Eddie Williams

With Hafthor Björnsson & Brian Shaw not competing in this one, it'll be interesting to see if Shivlyakov can build off his 3rd place finish at the ASC and place 1st in Australia. Also, it's good to see Terry & Martins competing here.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks Danny, interesting to see Terry Hollands in there, wonder if he is still at the reduced weight.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:25 pm

After Day 1 at the Arnold Strongman Australia J-F Caron & Rauno Heinla (who won it last year if I remember correctly) are tied in 1st place with Martins Licis just a half point behind.

Day 1 standings:
1. J-F Caron, Rauno Heinla - 26.5
2. Martins Licis - 26
3. Dimitar Savtainov - 23
4. Matjaz Belsak - 22.5
5. Trey Mitchell - 19
6. Rongo Keene - 15
7. Mathew Ragg - 10.5
8. Jean-Stephen Coraboeuf - 9
9. Eddie Williams - 4.5
10. Terry Hollands - 2.5

As often happens, the previously announced lineup obviously changed; Mikhail Shivlyakov, Mateusz Kieliszkowski & Mateusz Ostaszewski aren't competing and Jean-Stephen Coraboeuf wasn't listed before, but perhaps was an alternate.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the update Danny. You can never count J.F. out especially on a good day. Looks like Terry may have come in too light from his Bodybuilding experiment. At this level of modern day Strongman it is difficult to do justice to another sport and stay with the pack, except maybe powerlifting if that is where you came from. The guys are just too big now and you need to be up there in weight to have any chance of winning.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:35 am

I haven't seen complete final results yet, but I have seen that Rauno Heinla won the Arnold Strongman Australia and J-F Caron placed 2nd. Congratulations to Rauno! By the by, I have to correct myself in regards to my last post where I stated Rauno won it last year if I remember correctly.... well I didn't remember correctly, lol. Brian Shaw won the Arnold Strongman Australia last year, it was actually the Arnold Strongman South America that Rauno won last year.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks Danny, congratulations to Rauno and also to J.F. Look forward to seeing who else placed.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:25 pm

2018 Arnold Strongman Australia Final Results:

1. Rauno Heinla - 56pts (Qualified for the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic in Ohio)
2. J-F Caron - 46pts
3. Martins Licis - 45.5pts
4. Matjaz Belsak - 44pts
5. Trey Mitchell - 43.5pts
6. Dimitar Savatinov - 43pts
7. Rongo Keene - 33.5pts
8. Mathew Ragg - 23pts
9. Eddie Williams - 19.5pts
10. Jean Stephen Coraboeuf - 12.5pts
11. Terry Hollands - 8.5pts (Withdrew)

It looks like Rauno Heinla pulled away from the pack in the end. Good victory for him. I don't know what caused Terry Hollands to withdraw from the competition, but he mentioned in a post on Facebook a couple hours ago that he now has a few days to relax in Australia before his last push for Europe's and WSM. So based on that I assume it wasn't an injury, or at least it wasn't anything serious.