The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competitions)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

peter yates

Re: The World's Strongest Man (& other strongman competition

Post by peter yates » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks Danny, wow that was some difference, usually the top three are quite tight. Nice to see Martins up there, i think he has a good future in Strongman and has plenty of time to grow in it.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Laurence Shahlaei announced yesterday that he's pulling out of Europe's Strongest Man. Laurence said that with only just over 2 weeks until the competition he's just not going to be in good enough shape and would risk injuring himself again, so he decided to focus on World's Strongest Man which is 3 weeks after ESM, because it will give him just enough time to get back into some kind of decent shape.

That's a big loss for ESM, but Big Loz's reasoning is certainly understandable and I hope his training & preparation for WSM goes great!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Danny,
yes smart thinking by Loz, he has had too many injuries in the past and if not in peak condition is leaving himself open to another. Nothing is certain in Strongman so going in less than your best is not a good call now with the competition so tough. I know others have competed while being sick with a virus, but what an incredible toll it must take on one's reserves to perform at that level while sick. Long term not worth the risk, always another contest. Anyway as you say hope he has enough time now to be in top form for WSM. By the way do you know the line up for the European?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:45 am

Hey Peter,

According to a Giants Live Facebook post from back in February, the 2018 Europe's Strongest Man lineup looks like this:

Matjaž Belšak
Hafthor Björnsson
Mark Felix
Eddie Hall
Graham Hicks
Terry Hollands
Konstantine Janashia
Mateusz Kieliszkowski
Vytautas Lalas
Krzysztof Radzikowski
Žydrūnas Savickas
Laurence Shahlaei (Pulled Out)

That's a great lineup, though I don't know if it's changed anymore besides Big Loz pulling out or if anybody will be taking his spot. The World Log Lift Challenge will take place along with ESM and Iron Biby, Rob Kearney & Robert Oberst will be special guests for that.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks Danny,
tremendous line up and should be some contest if all are on form.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 am

peter yates wrote:Thanks Danny,
tremendous line up and should be some contest if all are on form.
Regards,Peter.
Yes definitely, it's looking to be a great contest and it'll be very interesting to see if anyone is able to set a new log lift world record. Big Z stated on Facebook that he was aiming for a 235kg/518lb lift. We shall soon see....

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 am

Eddie is injured and so is now only doing the log pressing event (claiming a 230 effort is on the cards)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for the update Steve, sorry to hear Eddie is injured, do you know what? Should be a good show with some of the very best overhead press guys around.
Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Twisted his ankle. There's a shot of it on Instagram

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Yeah, Eddie rolled his ankle on a bulky doormat and he said he’s “99%” sure he tore some ligaments. It's a real shame and a big loss for ESM, it'd have been great to see Eddie & Thor battle it out again and I imagine it'd have been close between them like has been the last few times they competed. Eddie himself has to be really disappointed because ESM is one significant title he's yet to win and I'm sure he wants the title. Anyway, it's not over until it's over and it's not like it's exactly a one horse race now, but Thor certainly has to be a overwhelming favorite going in and this turn of events seemingly made his road to a 4th ESM title that much easier. In any case, I hope Eddie can make a full & speedy recovery and it'll still be interesting to see what he can do in the World Log Lift Challenge. Depending on the severity of the injury, I don't know if he'd be ready in time, but I wonder if missing ESM will perhaps cause Eddie to change his mind about competing at WSM?