Set of York Deep Profile Plates = Deep Pockets

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Handson

Set of York Deep Profile Plates = Deep Pockets

Post by Handson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm

The purchase price, carriage and other charges can be horrendous.

For example in the case of this pair of titchy vintage Weider dumbbells [see attached] the carriage and import charges amounted to almost the same as the purchase price itself.

Will probably have to be satisfied with making up this second set of Reg Park plates for now.

Meanwhile dream on.

I suppose a similar problem exists for those on the other side of the 'pond' who may want to get their hands on Brit stuff.

Handson
Attachments
Cost of Weider Dumbells.png
Cost of Weider Dumbells.png (40.21 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Weider Vintage Dumbells.JPG
Weider Vintage Dumbells.JPG (824 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Reg Park Set 2 (Part).JPG
Reg Park Set 2 (Part).JPG (817.43 KiB) Viewed 820 times

peter yates

Re: Set of York Deep Profile Plates = Deep Pockets

Post by peter yates » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Yes Handson, the guys i know who collect over here in the USA, all comment on how prices have gone through the roof.There are still bargains out there but Ebay is not the best place to get a good deal now. Most of the guys here have contacts in various areas like antiques or removal firms that alert them to possible bargains, and of course they trade with each other. I have some rare items i picked up from Craig's list as a job lot for a very cheap price.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Hey Peter
It would be good to see some of your rare items. :?:
Regards
Handson

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Handson wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm
Hey Peter
It would be good to see some of your rare items. :?:
Regards
Handson
Awesome stuff, Handson. I'd love to have some Reg Park barbell plates for myself! Also I agree with you, it would indeed be good to see some of Peter's rare items he acquired from Craigslist. :D

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm

RE getting more plates for your dumbell or barbells. Recently i went to an old mate of mine( trouble is they are all old except for my nice new post lady, but enuf of that David) and he showed me that down in his cellar, he had almost a full gym, packed with various benches, leg press equipent, chin bars and endless weights. I said "How much" he said "Free" i said "your kidding" He said"I get all my stuff from the local council tip or dump, where those people who try weights for two weeks get fed up and dump their stuff. he said, well i go to the tip , give the guys a few quid and even get them to deliver...." So i thought, i will try that,and it works, ask your local refuse collector, or dustman as we used to call them for such items and you will be suprised what gets chucked out. give it a try. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi David,
that is a good idea.I have picked items up from the side of the road the night before garbage day.As you say it is amazing what folks will throw away. When my father in law was visiting from China he would go on his morning walk and several times a week come back with something that was almost or totally brand new. Shirts and sweaters in the package etc. He could not believe people would actually throw this stuff away.Another friend has got quite a few weights from scrap yards but of course he had to pay something for them but not much compared to new weights plus he got some rare items too.There is still a lot of old equipment/weights stashed in cellars and garages and attics out there, just getting connected to find them. Look at what Tom Balchin keeps turning up.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates