HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Post by peter yates » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:51 pm

I AM SURE MOST OF YOU HAVE READ THE EXCELLENT ARTICLE BY DAVID ON THE HISTORY OF HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE. THE MAGAZINE IS THE LONGEST RUNNING PHYSICAL CULTURE MAGAZINE IN HISTORY AND IN MY MIND SHOULD BE SUPPORTED IF ONLY FOR THAT FACT ALONE. IT IS NOT EASY IN THIS DAY AND AGE TO PUT OUT A REGULAR MAGAZINE THAT DOES NOT FOCUS ON THE DRUG FUELED BODYBUILDING WORLD AND IS NOT FILLED WITH DUBIOUS SUPPLEMENT ADDS. ROY EDWARDS DOES A GREAT JOB IN INCLUDING A CROSS SECTION OF INTERESTS SUCH AS EVENT RESULTS, TRAINING ARTICLES, REMEMBERING THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE AND THE BEST OF ALL SUPER DAVE'S MUSCLEANEOUS SECTION WHICH IS ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO SUPPORT H&S. HEALTH AND STRENGTH HAS BEEN THERE SINCE THE BEGINNING AND RECORDED ALL THAT IS GOOD IN PHYSICAL CULTURE AND I FEEL ROY IS DOING HIS BEST TO FOLLOW THAT TRADITION. I FOR ONE HOPE IT GOES ON INTO THE NEXT CENTURY THOUGH I WILL NOT BE HERE TO SEE IT. YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE THROUGH THIS SITE AND SUPPORT A PIECE OF HISTORY. OH, AND I DO NOT GET ANY COMMISSION.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Re: HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:02 pm

peter yates wrote:I AM SURE MOST OF YOU HAVE READ THE EXCELLENT ARTICLE BY DAVID ON THE HISTORY OF HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE. THE MAGAZINE IS THE LONGEST RUNNING PHYSICAL CULTURE MAGAZINE IN HISTORY AND IN MY MIND SHOULD BE SUPPORTED IF ONLY FOR THAT FACT ALONE. IT IS NOT EASY IN THIS DAY AND AGE TO PUT OUT A REGULAR MAGAZINE THAT DOES NOT FOCUS ON THE DRUG FUELED BODYBUILDING WORLD AND IS NOT FILLED WITH DUBIOUS SUPPLEMENT ADDS. ROY EDWARDS DOES A GREAT JOB IN INCLUDING A CROSS SECTION OF INTERESTS SUCH AS EVENT RESULTS, TRAINING ARTICLES, REMEMBERING THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE AND THE BEST OF ALL SUPER DAVE'S MUSCLEANEOUS SECTION WHICH IS ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO SUPPORT H&S. HEALTH AND STRENGTH HAS BEEN THERE SINCE THE BEGINNING AND RECORDED ALL THAT IS GOOD IN PHYSICAL CULTURE AND I FEEL ROY IS DOING HIS BEST TO FOLLOW THAT TRADITION. I FOR ONE HOPE IT GOES ON INTO THE NEXT CENTURY THOUGH I WILL NOT BE HERE TO SEE IT. YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE THROUGH THIS SITE AND SUPPORT A PIECE OF HISTORY. OH, AND I DO NOT GET ANY COMMISSION.
I did, but I didn't realise it was still in publication. Are they interested in contributions (as I did a series of articles for an online website about the history of bodybuilding and think that it might be of interest to them)?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:13 pm

HELLO HARRY,
WELL THEY DO TAKE ARTICLES AND I HAVE SUBMITTED A COUPLE MYSELF BUT I KNOW THERE IS A BACK LOG SO THEY ARE PUBLISHED IN ORDER. YOU CAN GET THE LINK FROM DAVID'S ARTICLE AND INQUIRE FROM THERE.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Just received the July edition of H&S magazine,the third put out be new owners Jo-Anne and Rob Feesey.Excellent cover shot of Frank Zane and the mag just keeps getting better.I know it is early days and they are finding their feet but so far a really good showing.Hard to please everyone but there is a good cross section of PC related topics not just bodybuilding.Starting from this edition joining the ranks with a regular column is non other than Johnny Fitness aka Gino Edwards.Gino of course was a good friend of the late Bob Kennedy and wrote for Muscle Mag International during the time it was owned by Kennedy.His first article is a winner and is right on the money describing the real value to be gained from weight training and exercise,and it is not 20 inch arms by the way.Great job Jo and Rob,i am sure you will take the mag from strength to strength.
Regards.Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:27 am

It's that good I got a mention lol :D

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:37 am

Dear Mr Mobster, as features edit of said mag, ie. H&S, i should have edited it a bit more, i didnt realise you had slipped through the net... just kidding mate. Hey Steve, just came across a nice photo of you lifting the Inch dumbell will put it on the site, if i can get my grand son to show me how to attach the photo. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:50 am

scan0019.jpg
scan0019.jpg (589.97 KiB) Viewed 13062 times
Hi Mobster, just seeing if i can get photos on message. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 am

scan0020.jpg
scan0020.jpg (539.33 KiB) Viewed 13062 times
and another, this is Eddy Elllwoods mum lifting the Inch dumbell with two hands, that better than i could do with three David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 am

Hey, i have sussed out how to put photos on the forum, so watch out, from now on its all my baby and girl friend pictures next. nor really Rose lit the fire with all my family photos... and to Peter, i have found the needles, ouch, i sat on them. is that a meridium line? David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

JoFeesey

Post by JoFeesey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 am

Thank you for the positivity Peter. Rob and I will be giving it everything we have to make it a worthy read. As you say, we are in our infancy as Editors and so we will continue to make minor adjustments as feedback is received. Hopefully, you will enjoy the October issue even more! Jo