HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Harry, thank you for trying.Kevin Fitzgerald's daughter tried to get him a 2019 subscription also with zero response. As much as i hate to say this it does look as if the 'Old Mag' has finally folded.As far as i know no one, and this includes David and former owner Roy Edwards,has heard from Jo or Rob as to what is happening.I am still holding out the possibility that someone may step in a rescue the mag but that seems like a slim chance. Sad to end the year this way when the first issue of 2018 was such a cracker.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:39 am

I may not have said this in person before but I have certainly thought it, namely, that at the moment we have a membership here of 295 people of whom 16 have made over 100 posts and 22 of whom have made over 50 posts. This proves that we have an active group of people interested in not only old school physical culture but the modern day off shoots of bodybuilding, powerlifting, weightlifting and strength athletics. Therefore given all the knowledge we have between us (not to mention Sticks's drawings) I have wondered why we don't do our own magazine (online first to see what sort of market there is and then in actual print if the markets exists) with each of us contributing an article every so often.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:10 am

Hi Harry, while your suggestion is a good one and i have often thought the same, the problem lies in both finance and logistics. Most magazines have now gone digital and even some of those have ceased production. While H&S was unique in catering for those interested in Physical Culture rather than straight out bodybuilding, and not being sponsored by supplement companies, it still needed regular subscribers to keep in operation. Do not forget that this is just the same as the HOPC site , which is dependent on subscriptions to keep afloat.While this i possible it is not always a given. For many years now the owners including the present ones, Jo and Rob have done all of the work to get the mag into print. This is very time consuming and someone has to do it, the only one who has those skills in our group is Diane and she is snowed under with work just keeping the site operating and doing and excellent job of it. Both David and Mobster know how much goes into the production of a magazine from their MUSCLE MOB days. However if someone does want to create someting i would be only too happy to contribute. Still have a hope that H&S will be resurrected. Fingers crossed.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:09 am

It would take 3-4 months to set-up the format for a first independent issue . Editors and
contributors have to be established then a vendor chain for printing would have to be composed
to produce the hard copy addition . Everything about this screams online , online . We have such
a vehicle "History of Physical Culture". Support it . Join the library . Contribute content . " Dance
with the one that brought you ".

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Chris, totally agree. The HOPC is available 24/7 not just 4x a year. While i still enjoy hard copy, those days are mostly over and online is the name of the game. The talent is here already and always looking for contributions from members. If you are already a member please consider submitting an article or two and if not a member, please consider joining, you will glad you did.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:38 am

Diane is producing more and more printout sheets available in the library . Print em' out
and compose a hardcopy in a binder. Articles , art work , jokes , charts , prints for DIY
comic strips , workouts . A quarterly illustrated news letter , printable from the library
could go smack dab into the binder also .

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:33 pm

I have just received a message via Facebook from Robert Feesey telling me that the publication is on hold due to circumstances relating to family (therefore I did not enquire further) but he did say that they would return to publication in the new year (which I believe is a term used for before March)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you Harry, that is good news indeed and hope it will come to pass.If so my new year is going to be a little bit happier.Happy new year mate.
All the best,Peter.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 am

Yes i hope there is good news. Bye the way, when we all used to save our pocket money to buy muscle mags at the end of the month, it was really our dreams we were buying. And it was nice to dream! But what makes H&S unique is that i would genuinely recommend it to any teenager today looking for correct and helpful training information.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:38 am

Hi Colin, yes good days. I got always got H&S by subscription and looked forward to each issue as i have continued to do. Really hoping Jo and Rob will be able to continue and wishing them the best for 2019.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates