Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Tom K

Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Post by Tom K » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 am

I hope you enjoy this, I thought the last posing he did was in 1980 Mr Olympia.

Fantastic shape but a even better speech from the great man.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AFmtpZPX20Q

raynobile

Re: Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Post by raynobile » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 am

thanks tom. reg gave a nice tribute to grimek in his speech.also displayed quiete a physique for someone of 60.came accross as a very level headed and intelligent man. with a good work ethic. says its not about winning on the stage. its about the training leading up to the contest.meaning the enjoyment you get from your workouts. wise words indeed.

David Gentle

Re: Reg park, speech and posing, Toronto 1988

Post by David Gentle » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:35 am

Reg was a great bloke, did you know, like Grimek, despite the huge volume of mail, he (and JCG) answered personally all mail, in Regs case in long hand. letters to treasure. I asked both Reg and Grimek how did they manage to cope with it, and both said they appreciated the fans and often just wrote a few lines on the back of the correspondents own letter and signed it, It seems everyone was happy as to get a genuine signed note from your idol is amazing. I have all of Regs letters, some i have copied and are on the site along with a lot of other mail. Reg was a great communicator didnt charge for his autograph and thereby never lost his fans . Where Reg went wrong in later life in contests was he slimmed down too much, lost a lot of size/bulk as he thought the views of the judges were in favour of lighter blokes like Gironda, it was a mistake and cost Reg a couple of wins. Last time i saw him was a few weeks before he died at the OHF Awards in London, he came up and gave me a man hug, thanked me for all the articles i had written about him. His legacy lives on with Jon Jon. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com