Making adjustments

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Making adjustments

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:15 am

During this period of mandatory and self imposed isolation,many who rely on the gym for working out will have to make some adjustments.Rather than seeing this as a negative it can be looked upon as a means of being creative and discovery.First of all if you have a body and even a small area to train you have the basis of some good and intense training sessions.Now if you are a powerlifter, aiming to increase your bench press by 20lb in the next few weeks, then doing a body weight program at home is not going to cut it.However a few weeks of no benching[or any other lift]is not going to hold you back forever,but may be a welcome rest for overworked joints and CNS,while maintaining most of the strength and stimulating overlooked muscle groups that may actually help improve the lift once recommenced.Obviously the more equipment available at home the more variety of training available,but a total body weight program done intensely will yield good results,stimulating not only the body but also the mind.Various types of push ups,dips between chair backs, pull ups if chinning bar available,if not place two stand chairs back to back about 2 feet apart with rod resting on the top, lay under the bar body rigid and pull chest to rod.Superset this with any push up or dip.Free squats will work the thighs but better still is the old squat lunge working one leg at a time,hits a lot of areas the regular squat misses.Do in place or add walking lunges too,if you have not done these prepare to be sore even with body weight. If you have a yard with access to rocks,logs,bags of cement, wheelbarrow then you will only be limited by your lack of imagination. During this time of uncertainty and upheaval there are many stepping up to be of help to others.Any small gesture can mean a lot to someone in need. Calling friends,family and even those we may not know well keeps us in communication and bolsters everyone's spirits.With my clinic closed i am keeping connected with my patients to see if they have all they need.We have all witnessed the selfishness of the raiding and hording of the past couple of weeks, some are seeking to cash in one way or another.Now is the time when real strength can show,strength of character.Doing something to benefit others,showing a little kindness where need is a great way to strengthen your immune system too. I have observed in our field some such as Ross Enamait over at Ross training .com sending out lots of training templates for use at home with limited equipment and selling his book "never gymless" for $1.Arnie the Governator sent out an article from his early days on body weight training at home,others are doing the same to help in some way.There are others out there seeking to profit from this. This forum and library have tons of training info that can be applied at home with limited equipment such as David's article "waiting for the weights." Making adjustment will allow us all to keep training explore some new ideas and doing the things we enjoy. I truly hope all members and families are safe and well and wish you all the best in the coming weeks as we move through this together.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Re: Making adjustments

Post by David Gentle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 am

What a great and positive posting from Peter, and thats a lot of Pees in one sentance. Seriously he has hit the nail on the spot, instead of thinking negative, it now gives us all a chance to stand back , look at our lives and love ones and do those things we always meant to other than taking a world cruise. Par example, i am now actually tidying up my miscellaneous mix of muscle mags (note now its all mmmmms) sorting out photos, answering letters, even doing some house chores for my sins, so its not wasted time. Today, i also went for a walk, it was like being on a movie set, you know the end of the world type of movie, and didnt see a soul and to be honest the silence was golden. I bet the wild life must wonder what the hell has happened to homo sapiens, well we are doing what i first suggested. We even had a visit from the Shaw genealogy company (our dear friends Sue and paul) who kept six feet way, blew kisses and threw some chocolates and colouring books at us, what more do you want in a time of trouble. So lets do it kids, write some articles, find out some old photos and send in for the site, do a secret schedule so that next time you can make it to the pub your mates will say "blimey mate, where did you get those muscles?" As Tiny Tim used to say before going to bed, "God bless you all." David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 am

Hi everyone

What an opportunity for the nations to get fit. Suddenly everyone wants to exercise. It's a great time to try out some of the "put an inch on your arm in a day" routines.

The basic principle is do a superset for the arm muscles every hour. Avoid going to failure and keeps the reps high, resistance low.

Sue and myself did manage to visit Dave and Rose before lock down hit and as always it was great to see them both and be spoiled with cake.

Please post your ideas for routines to be done at home. Short and simple (like me)

Keep safe

Paul

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:00 am

Hi Paul,here are some short and simple things [like me too]to do while holed up with little equipment.I have had to make do in some of the most primitive locations around the world and depending on what was available here are a few of the training routines i put together.As most know i started my training in an old quarry lifting rocks of various sizes, so if you have access to rocks or even sandbags there is a lot you can do. Pull in to shoulders and press overhead, load to one shoulder and then the other,Hold overhead and squat, bear hug and squat, hold overhead or bear hug and walk for time or distance,throw for height or distance, [watch your head]squeeze and curl, carry and load,Sets and reps optional. No rocks or anything else to lift? Do this 4 exercise routine non stop for 15mins,free squats, push ups,sit ups,leg raises, start with 20 squats,10 each of the others and continue one after the other in sequence,stopping only when needed.Try to do more in the time frame at each session.Feel free to use other exercises but do upper and lower.If dipping and chinning bars available alternate both for as many reps per set as possible,keep moving from one to the other with minimum rest.Follow with leg work,my favorite non weight exercise is lunge squat,alternate legs back and forth till fatigued.Take a pack of playing cards and choose 4 exercises that cover upper and lower body,eg clubs for push ups,turn the top card over and if 6 of clubs do 6 pushups,next card and whatever the next exercise and number is,continue until pack is finished,Ace,King,Queen and Joker your choice of reps.I could go on but these will i hope stimulate some ideas.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm

So not sure if anyone is interested in these posts,or even reading them,but this is today's train at home limited equipment workout. All you need are two stand chairs and thick 4ft length of strong, wooden dowel or pipe.For the pushing muscles take your pick or rotate dips between chair backs,push ups with hands on chair seats [feet can be on another chair or table,push ups with feet on chair and hands on ground.For the pulling muscles, place the rod across backs of chairs, lay on back beneath rod and grasp with hands,over or under grip and pull chest to rod keeping whole body tight and straight.Alternate the pull/push for as a many sets as needed. No rod? Then lay under a table grasp the edge and pull chest up to hands,can only do over grip on this one.Work the legs with step ups on to chair one leg at a time,go for high reps and try to keep going alternating even if reps drop,or do a set of lunges first and follow with steps ups.Can finish up with some ab work by hooking the feet,sitting on the chair and doing roman chair sit ups, grip can be trained by taking a soaking towel and ringing it out until as dry as possible,then repeat.Neck can be done with manual resistance or isometrics.So there you have a full body routine that can be done anywhere and is one i used many times when traveling and if you put effort into it you will get results.Of course if there is access to a weight vest then it can up the intensity.Let's face it if you really want to train there is no excuse.
The other day i spoke with an old training mate who for the past 4 years has been a member of a high end health club,and after a lifetime of only using BBs and DBs has been training exclusively on the high tech machines. Now at home he has a set of expanders and 20kg DB.He told me he tried to do a set of push ups and could only manage 4 [he is 71]but 5 years ago he could do 20 anytime.So now he is on a quest to build back his push ups and has worked out a program with his limited equipment to do out in the back yard on nice days and inside on the others.You cannot stop a die hard from training.Tomorrow i will give the routine he is doing with one DB.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:12 pm

While the current situation is making time available for people to exercise more, it needs to be pointed out that over training, can reduce the effectiveness of your immune system. Under today's circumstances, one should avoid long runs, high volume exercises, personal bests at weights, and long exercise sessions. You need to remember, under these extraordinary conditions, that it is possible to get too much of, what is ordinarily, a good thing. Stay healthy!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:17 am

Before we go into today's short and simple,limited gear routine, just take at look at Talbot's common sense post.During this lock down phase, when those who rely on the gym do not have access to the normal equipment they use,home training should be geared to maintenance,stimulating deep breathing, improving blood circulation and invigorating the internal organs,or as Bob Hoffman would say "Puff,Pant and Perspire.Each person should be aware of their own body's needs and do enough to stay healthy but leave a bit in the tank.
My friend said he remembered an article i had written about traveling in China with limited equipment and had designed his stay at home workouts along the same lines.Day 1 DB,day 2 rest,day 3 cables and body weight,day 4 rest and so on. Here is the DB routine using just one 20kg bell.Each exercise is done one after the other with 10 reps each for upper body and 20 for legs,2 or 3 rounds depending on energy that day [he is 71.] For upper body alternating hands,back and forth but rest if needed.
Curl&press
Swing
Clean&press
High pull
Bent over row
Step up holding DB
Goblet squat.
Short and sweet but involves a lot of musculature.First time he did only 5 reps each for 2 rounds as he had not touched free weights in 4 years and was sore all over the next day,but he said a good sore he had not felt in along while.Now even if he goes back to the gym he said he will be including DBs in his training from now on.Of course feel free to use any exercises,rep scheme you like,it is just a template.Tomorrow his cable and B/W routine.Happy training and stay well.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 am

Today i will present the second part of my friends stay at home program. Again simple to the point and gets the job done. Starts off with B/W exercises after a warmup,first up is lunge squat,alternating legs for 3 sets. Next is push up and as i previously mentioned after not doing them for many years he can only manage 4 good ones.So he is doing 4 sets of 3 reps and when that feels easy he will do 1x4 and 3x3 and so on until 4x4,his goal is 4x10. To get the bio mechanical groove back he is also doing 2x2 twice a day.Like the DBs he said he is keeping P/Us in his training from now on.His next exercise is inverted row between two chair backs 3 sets and the last is leg raises 2 sets. Then on to expanders and the old faithfuls, front pull, overhead downward pull behind neck, back press and one arm curl, 3 sets each. Besides these two workouts he goes for a long walk on a nearby canal path with his wife in the late evening when no one else is around. While my friend has occasionally trained at home he has never done a consistent weekly training program and has found he like the quiet compared to the blaring music being banged out at the gym.However he does like the atmosphere of everyone training and the range of equipment available.So once the ban is lifted he is going back but will be taking some old pals with him.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:41 am

Hi Peter
As someone who has trained at home for the last 50 years the latest restrictions haven’t troubled me too much.
The home gym is scattered throughout the house and garage- for instance what is shown here is the doorway to my kitchen!
I got fed up at 30 when the old gym was gradually hijacked by steroid-stuffing types who did more posing than training with their ‘mirror bombing’.
Still managed to culture a couple of ‘brick chicken houses’ in the family and extended family which has kept the incentive going.
Regards
Handson
Attachments
Down a Couple of Inches But Hey Ho .jpg
Down a Couple of Inches But Hey Ho .jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
Some of The Home Gear.JPG
Some of The Home Gear.JPG (760.8 KiB) Viewed 2499 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi Handson,brilliant mate, that is still some arm you have there. For me too you cannot beat home training.With so many having to train at home now i wonder how many will continue to do so when the gyms open again.From what i can gather the fitness supply companies are doing a roaring trade, but i envision a lot of that equipment being stuck in garages or for resale. Even for those who prefer the gym, never does any harm to have something at home to fall back on.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates