Making adjustments

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Making adjustments

Post by peter yates » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am

Here is a quick but effective routine with just 1 kettlebell,though a DB would do as well or even a sandbag or rock.They main thing is moving smoothly from one exercise to the next,get the lungs pumping and build up a sweat. Mt son did this in his dorm room in college,plus expanders and body weight calisthenics plus weight vest. He came back looking terrific.Reps are optional but 20 for legs and 10 for upper body works well. 2-4 rounds also works well.Do the exercises with good form and on the slower side with concentration.Both hands hold the bell throughout.try to cut rest time between rounds.
goblet squat x20
curl x10
upright row x10
press x10
bent over row x10
goblet squat x20
stiff leg deadlift x10
push up, hands on bell x10
Rest and repeat.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Here is another quick [not easy] workout with just one kettlebell. Depending on the weight of the bell do 5-10 reps with each hand,alternating right and left with minimum rest.Do as many rounds as you need.3 works for me.
Holding bell at chest do lunge squat
snatch
clean and press
swing
side press [or bent press if you know how]
goblet squat
You can add in some push ups and chins if you have a bar,or anything else that works for you. A DB, sandbag,rock or even a gallon milk jug full of water will work too.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:53 pm

One exercise that has been around since the year dot and is responsible for more muscle than any other i believe is the push up, press up or floor dip.I love this exercise and it is a portable gym that can be done anywhere, any time. My old mate Gil Waldron just told me of the lock down "push up challenge" he has embarked upon and i felt it would fit right in here.Before Gil told me of his program he proudly flexed his pecs and made them jump in true muscle control fashion [this was a Skype call.] Gil started this a few weeks ago and has been slowly building up, his ultimate goal is 100 per day,the goal is important in any challenge.If this inspires you to try it out do it in whatever way works best for you regarding sets/reps, time intervals etc. For sure anyone who does it will get unexpected and pleasant results.This can be done with your present workouts as an adjunct or the main workout,both work.This is Gil's template.
Gill uses push up bars but flat hand or knuckle push ups can be done if desired.
When Gil started he had not done any in a while so began with whatever he could do at a time,10, 7, 5 etc. These were spaced out through the day.
Gradually he has worked up to 2x20 and on his third set is getting between 8-10 depending on energy that day.
The last set will be added to until 3x20 can be done,then a fourth set will be started.
Will keep going until can do 100 per day,either in sets of 10 or 20.
Gil also uses kettlebells and bands, walks in the nearby park which has lots of steps to work his legs and does daily Qi gong.
Let's not forget that Gil is a cancer survivor and 78 years old.Good on you mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello Peter, thanks for the suggestion to post here.

I was down in the dumps after the gyms got locked down, as with 3 kids at home the gym in the evenings is my only "solo" time. I also found when younger I got depressed if I was not exercising, eg studying for exams and sitting around all day. So much that I decided at a young age I could not possibly work a desk job! 3x a week down the gym keeps me sane, so like many I tried to buy some equipment but the Mrs quite rightly told me off for the exorbitant price gouging going on for weights. Some are selling for £100 just for a 1" home barbell with 10kg of weight. Incredible!

So I read an old article by Reg Park where he stated that he started training with a rusty barbell in his garden in Leeds after coming back from the Army. Sandbags for benches, rusty equipment before "graduating" to a metal shed in the Leeds winter.

If its good enough for Reg Park where that setup brought him to a Mr NE Britain (I think he went to a full gym before the Mr Britain and 1950 Mr U vs Reeves) win then its good enough for the rest of us.

I created some V dip bars in my back garden out of shelving material and a convenient tree:
v bar garden.jpg
v bar garden.jpg (302.78 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
I then poured some concrete into those flexible buckets you get for mixing plaster, made it quite a dry mix so a 2" waste pipe would stand upright to create the hole for the barbell. I have made about 80kg of weights this way, my first 2 came to 8kg and 9kg, then I used scales to weigh out 20kg plates which both turned out perfectly. I fished a 2" scaffold bar out of a skip and cut it down to size. The weights fit very snugly and no chance of sliding off. My only limitation is no squat stands so I can only squat what I can clean and press overhead.
concrete plates.jpeg
concrete plates.jpeg (288.24 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
In the background you can see a 1" galvanised electrical conduit which I'm using for smaller weights such as curls or presses overhead. A few topsoil bags serve me well as a bench for pullovers.

And lastly but not least, my Terry strand kits, a pullup bar and the Sierra hook kit which is really a life saver.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (216.63 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Incidentally the strand kits are still going under the radar and selling cheaply compared to the other equipment.

With this I am able to squat, press overhead, chin, dip, curl, all manner of tricep work. What I like the most has been the V dip bar. I was able to position it exactly as I needed for my own shoulder needs. I've always had issues from dips with my shoulders, but this is custom made for me and I can dip with no issues.

Reg Park really did have it right in an interview before his death when asked what equipment is needed, "Barbell, dumbell and a chin bar. All the rest is bullshit quite frankly". Or Vince Gironda "the more you know about training the less equipment you need".

Sorry for the lengthy post, but if you want to learn how to make your own concrete weights, plenty of people in the developing world use them all the time, a quick youtube search and suddenly for £30 of concrete and ballast you have 100kg of weight. Just remember to weigh it all out!

Keep on training.

Handson

Post by Handson » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 am

Tom
No squat stands?
You could give these tried and tested lifts a go.

Handson
Attachments
Jefferson Lift or Hack Squat.jpg
Jefferson Lift or Hack Squat.jpg (370.1 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Hack Squat.jpg
Hack Squat.jpg (753.95 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:26 am

Hi Tom, thanks for posting mate.You did a good job there with the concrete disks.Yes the reality is very little is needed to get the job done and i am sure you are enjoying training with this home made equipment in your own space as much as any training you have done up to now.I have always been a fan of what could be called "primitive" training.Remember the sketch that Sticks did of the guy in his backyard dealifting with two carved granite disks?It is still on here somewhere. If you do not have a pull up bar you can do inverted rows on your dipping bars.Handson's recommendations for squat alternatives should give more scope too. Also you could do lunge squats to pre exhaust your quads before doing squats.Many ways to get around any limitations.There will still be those who will find ways not to train instead of following your example and finding ways to train. Keep us up to date on your workouts mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:52 am

Handson wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:33 am
Tom
No squat stands?
You could give these tried and tested lifts a go.

Handson
That's a good idea. I've never tried those before. Thanks

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:50 am

You may wish to try the Hack Lifts with your heels raised slightly on a short plank -this tilts you forward a tad which can be more comfortable.

Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Quite a few of us on this forum have been training 40,50,60 and even more years.We have heard all of the excuses why a person is unable to get stuck into a training program but probably the most frequent would be NO TIME and/or NO SPACE. No equipment is up there too. My son's first year at college was across the other side of the country in Salt Lake City,Utah. The university had just opened a state of the art gymnasium with all the latest equipment. However my son is a very private person,he started martial arts training at 4 and never told anyone about it right up into his teens.So he was not going to train with others around, his training was just for him. He was in a small room with bed, desk and dresser taking up most of the space,he also had a heavy workload. We had worked out some routines he could do with minimum equipment before he left home.He had a 40lb weight vest, two 35lb DBs and a set of rubber expanders plus of course his own body weight. At first he did a full routine taking him about 45-60 minutes,but as his workload increased he would work for an hour then exercise for 10-15 minutes, doing such things as squats with weight vest alternated with pushups, lunge squats alternated with curl and press etc. By doing this he was able to get his whole body worked everyday. After 5 months he came back for Christmas holidays and he was transformed, yes some was due to natural growth spurt, but it was his commitment to train no matter the circumstances that made valuable use of the growth spurt.By the end of his first year he was even better. He enjoyed that training so much that he has stayed with it even though we have a fully equipped home gym,his favorite exercises being pull ups,dips and all cable and DB training.Of course he really wanted to train,those who complain but do nothing probably do not.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:46 pm

I knew what I was risking making that post.
The ‘incoming’ and flak started straightaway.
Middle son also a home trainer heading to 50 & ex- RU a.k.a. ‘turbo’, just couldn’t resist.
My defence -yes but rewinding 50 years your extra 1/2” arm comes with a 7” height at 6’ 4” and 3 stones advantage.
In fairness he has always run a smoke-free & steroids-free routine.
Ginger_Bearded_Legend copy.jpg
Ginger_Bearded_Legend copy.jpg (125.74 KiB) Viewed 2482 times