Making adjustments

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Making adjustments

Post by peter yates » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Fine big lad.Don't we just love our boys.
Peter Yates

RickHarley

Post by RickHarley » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:14 am

I have a little GYM at my house. Moreover, I start a new steroid cycle to keep fit purchased in https://120kgs.org/.
Last edited by RickHarley on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:42 am

@ RickHarley: Doing steroids doesn't keep you fit, nor healthy. It's a cheat, to appear better than you are. The human body keeps an inventory of all that it produces, and makes enough hormones to maintain what it produces, depending on what you consume for nutrition. In the long term, once you stop "juicing," then you shrink. If you continue to "juice," then you will need more and more "juice" to get less and less results, and your body will shut down production of its natural steroids, that can lead to major health problems, even death.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Hey Rick, Talbot is right, PEDs of any type have no place in Physical Culture,even though they may be part of modern bodybuilding.As such we choose not to discuss them on this forum as i have mentioned to others in the past.I believe there are sites only dedicated to such discussions,but not here please.I am glad you have a gym at home and by using that,eating good nutritious food,getting adequate rest/recuperation and getting out in nature when possible, you will have all you need to get and stay fit and healthy for a long time.Many of us on this forum have been training from 40-60+ years and still at it so we do know what we are talking about.Leave the drugs alone mate.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:15 am

I remember what I used to do back when I first started and had ZERO kit. Lot's of ab crunches, bench dips (using furniture) and press ups. If I had nothing (and I have loads) I'd have found a big rock and some heavy cut timber and used that. I'd also know, having been there before, that any muscle lost is EASILY gained back.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 am

Right on Steve, desire,determination and willingness to work are the main tools,then we can make whatever is available into a gym.I started out lifting rocks in an old quarry.I lifted them,threw them ,pushed them and dragged them.I had no idea about training only what i read about ancient cultures training.Hiking the moors and push ups rounded things out.I still think to this day that if i had only stayed in that quarry lifting and moving bigger and heavier stones i would have got as big and strong as my potential allowed.Sure i enjoy working with all manner of equipment but that is secondary to the fore mentioned attributes.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sat May 02, 2020 1:48 pm

I was looking through some of my old magazines and I found this Peary Rader blueprint for a wooden squat rack!

ImageIronman47019 by Reg Park, on Flickr

It appears this was a series of articles on home made equipment, it would be nice to see what else he advised to build at home? This is from Iron man 1947 Vol 7 No 5, if anyone has any other Iron man from these times?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi Tom, thanks for this.It is very similar to what we had in the Australian outback,very sturdy and made from jarrah wood.That is what i liked about Rader, he was selling equipment but he knew some of his readers did not have much spare cash, so he always had some articles about home made equipment such as the concrete weights you made.I will take a look through the Iron Man mags i have to see if there are any more.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Fri May 08, 2020 12:46 am

Nearly 2 weeks of trying the Hack squats with barbell, I'm quite impressed at the stimulation they create in the thighs. I've paired them with Romanian Deadlifts to give an all round leg training combination. I'm 6ft tall with long arms, so my thighs don't go fully to parallel when hack squatting- but they still create a strong tension that I've not had with squats. Is it the different positioning? At least I've learned something from being forced out of my comfort zone during lockdown.

Talk of the gyms being too high risk to open until a Vaccine is developed! I best build a shed for winter training.

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 pm

@ Tom K: On free weight squats such as front or back squats, and on machine hack squats, the Rectus Femoris only works as a stabilizer muscle, or in the case of the feet forward position on the machine hack squat, not at all. On barbell hack squats the Rectus Femoris works full strength, as much as the other three quads. So, yes, it does feel different than regular squats! RF works hard with Sissy Squats too.

With Barbell Hack Squats you should squat down as low as possible, ATG, for best results. If your arms are to long to do that, then stand on a wooden platform. Narrow underhand grip, and pushing the bar away from your back, gives the Triceps a boost too.

Barbell Hack Squats are my favorite leg exercise.