Making adjustments

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Making adjustments

Post by peter yates » Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 am

Hi Tom, glad to hear you are being creative and getting results from your training experiment.Good advise from Talbot and don't forget the terrific legs on Reeves who favored hack squats too. Yes a shed might be a good project over summer as no one knows how long this will be going on.I can assure you it will be enjoyable setting up your own gym and as you are now finding less is more and you save time and money not going to the gym.Even if you do go back to the gym,having the option of home training is always a benefit.
Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Wed May 13, 2020 2:01 am

Does anyone have any good tips for making barbells? I'm not sure my scaffold pole will take the weights needed going forwards long term.

Barbells are still out of stock, I think I can risk 100kg on my setup currently but after my squat stands are made (now hardware shops are open again I can get the 4x4 timber to make them) I need a better barbell.

Any tips? The second hand market is more expensive than the new equipment currently, but new equipment sells out faster than I can find it!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 13, 2020 6:31 am

Hi Tom, there are several things you can do depending on availability. First you can get a piece of pipe same length as what you have now but smaller diameter so it just fits inside the pole snugly.This will double up and be strong enough for quite a bit of weight.If scrap yards are open you can usually buy lengths of 1" diameter cold rolled steel at these places.Many of the bars we had at the weightlifting club came via this way.Or maybe there is an engineering shop open that would have some lengths of steel.As a last resort for the time being you could pack the pole with cement which will make it stronger and also heavier, though this is not as good as the first option.Hope there is something of use here.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun May 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi folks, i`m back again! Hope you are all well. I have alot of posts reading to get caught up on :D ! Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi Colin, so good to have you back mate,i hope you will stay around a while. Funny as i was about to send you and email asking how you and the family were doing with the lock down. I know you have a good home gym set up, so that part is taken care of. Plenty to catch up on.Once again great to see you back with us.Stay safe and well.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun May 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks Peter. Yes it was just a combination of getting out of habit, and my password, which i cannot remember, is auto-stored on my old laptop which i am using right now. Normally i use a tablet, but cant access the forum due to password. Yes we are well thanks. I am very thankful to have a home gym during these days!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun May 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Colin, you can always change your password and Diane can always help out if you have any glitches.Glad you are all OK.Are you still singing?
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon May 18, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks Peter. Yes i just changed my password there now, so all is good now. Yes still learning singing!

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed May 20, 2020 5:44 am

Hi Peter/Tom

Going back to the subject of improvising equipment in the present climate I was able to help out one of my young relatives with a makeshift bench.

As the attachment shows removal crates can be really robust there's 250lb in weights on it and I clambered on too taking the total weight to 470lb without a problem.

So for most day-to-day training one of these items [currently available for around £15 including delivery] they're a bargain until of course the sellers cotton on.

Regards
Handson
Improvised Bench.jpg
Improvised Bench.jpg (823.26 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks Handson, way to go.Love the Reg park plates.I remember reading that the York barbell sets came in a big wooden crate that could be used to store the weights when not in use.Enterprising youths used the box as a bench,this was in the days before commercial benches and the floor press was performed as an exercise.Have also used a plank of wood, three breeze blocks and a blanket as a bench. Love improvising.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates