Making adjustments

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Tom K

Re: Making adjustments

Post by Tom K » Wed May 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Also love the reg park weights!

I finally got hold of some scrap 4x4 timber, so I built my rudimentary Squat stands.

2 buckets of concrete and wood, notch cut at the top the hold the barbell.
Squat stands diy
Squat stands diy
IMG_20200520_202106_compress35.jpg (991.92 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
That's 60kg, a warm up weight ~8 weeks ago. If I can high rep Squat 100kg at home and continue with the hack squats, Rdl and all the walking I'm doing I think my legs will be in good shape to bounce back fast when the gym opens again.

Worked well, but after nearly 8 weeks with no squats, I'm going to be sore in the morning. Now I just need to buy more ballast to make more weight plates!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu May 21, 2020 6:05 am

Nice one Tom.I noticed you have a regular bar there,were you able to fortify the scaffold pole? Be careful not to nip your hands putting the weight back mate. Even if you go back to the gym you will have made good use of this period and have equipment you can use when time or other issues keep you from the gym.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 am

Talking about improvising equipment, some 50 years ago in my former life as a Chemical Engineer I worked on plants including ones producing ammonia and nitric acid.
I used to scavenge in the scrap to pick out items for my gym. Much of the scrap was 316 austenitic stainless steel (18:12:8 Chrome Nickel Molybdenum) which has extreme temperature and corrosion resistance.
I soon found various lengths of 1" bar and also 1" internal i.d. piping which fitted slickly over the bars. I got the Mechanical Engineering Dept to fab up some stainless collars too.
So scattered amongst my friends and relatives there are still totally unique dumbbells and five and six foot barbells in use. I still have a couple of residual examples as in the attachment though I find Bowflex gear is more convenient now..
Given that improvising usually entails using materials to hand that may be cheap and cheerful I suppose the examples I've cited are way over the top even for use in the hottest & sweaty gyms!

Regards
Handson
316 Stainless Gear .jpg
316 Stainless Gear .jpg (852.82 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks Handson, yes that is top quality gear but still a good example of making use of available material.Lucky friends and family to have those items.
Regards,Peter.
PS sent you a PM.
Peter Yates