Asian physical culturists??

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

KoreanGuy

Asian physical culturists??

Post by KoreanGuy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:08 am

Greets all

I looked into some physical culture and most of the men appear to be white or black from the past. I am searching for notable physical culturists that were Chinese, Korean, or Japanese from the 19th century or early 20th century. I am Korean myself but do not know of any names. Does anyone know of any examples you can help me with? thanx

Harry Hayfield

Re: Asian physical culturists??

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:35 am

KoreanGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:08 am
Greets all, I looked into some physical culture and most of the men appear to be white or black from the past. I am searching for notable physical culturists that were Chinese, Korean, or Japanese from the 19th century or early 20th century. I am Korean myself but do not know of any names. Does anyone know of any examples you can help me with? thanx
I do not know if any of these will be of any assistance, but you might find the following of interest:

"Marrow of the Nation: A History of Sport and Physical Culture in Republican China" published by Andrew D. Morris from UCAL Press
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y

"Physical Culture, Ethnography and the Body: Theory, Method and Praxis" published by Routledge
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dUk ... &q&f=false

"BODY CULTURE AND PHYSICAL CULTURE" hosted on encylopedia.com
https://www.encyclopedia.com/humanities ... al-culture

There are also a number of papers written by Dr. David Brown (Reader in the Sociology of Sport and ​Physical Culture, Cardiff School of Sport, Cardiff Metropolitan University) about the subject, as I come from Wales it would be very easy for me to contact him and ask him if he could pass on those papers to you. However, even more pertinent considering what is happening across the world right now, I fear that the answer to your main question "Where are all the physical culturists from Asia in the late 1800's to the early 1900's?" can be answered in the same way that the question "Why are police officers clobbering people of colour in the streets?". At the time that you are asking about the British Empire ruled Asia, usually with an iron rod, as you will know from the Sepoy Revolt of 1857, and sadly if a person was strong and powerful, yet not European, I am sorry to say they were consigned to the historical rubbish bin.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:46 am

Greetings, Good question.This is a topic i am interested in myself and am planning writing on in the future.The East Asian physical culturists were most often also involved with martial arts. There is a long tradition of using various implements and exercises to build robust health, strength and conditioning for combat. Weightlifting in China has a very long history and no doubt also Korea. One well known jujutsu exponent and wrestler was Yukio Tani who lived and wrestled in England.He was a friend of Monte Saldo and trained at Saldo's gym. The issue with Korea as you well know, is that it was invaded and subjugated by the Japanese from the turn of the 20th century.Korean's were required to learn Japanese and were considered Japanese until after WW2 when Korea could once again emerge as an independent country.So weightlifters from Korea before that time were classed as Japanese confusing matters. From the 1950s however there were several top Korean Olympic lifters, especially in the lighter categories.I will look up some names for you.Thanks for starting this topic as it has spurred me to get started on a long overdue project.I hope others with more information will contribute. If you have a few moments would you mind going to new members introductions and telling us more about yourself? Welcome to the forum.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 am

Old magazines such as Sandow,s magazine and early H&S were never racial or colour prejudiced and i have even seen muscle by mail order ads with some great far eastern bodybuilders in. I know in one of Liederman books there is a great shot of an Asian guy. Also the IFBB are or were very strong out east, Weider was world wide and some of the best shows and physiques were from the Far East. As Peter says, its a great topic to search so next time i am wondering through my mags and books will dig out some names. These will include Olympic lifters. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:44 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:35 am
KoreanGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:08 am
Greets all, I looked into some physical culture and most of the men appear to be white or black from the past. I am searching for notable physical culturists that were Chinese, Korean, or Japanese from the 19th century or early 20th century. I am Korean myself but do not know of any names. Does anyone know of any examples you can help me with? thanx
I do not know if any of these will be of any assistance, but you might find the following of interest:

"Marrow of the Nation: A History of Sport and Physical Culture in Republican China" published by Andrew D. Morris from UCAL Press
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y

"Physical Culture, Ethnography and the Body: Theory, Method and Praxis" published by Routledge
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dUk ... &q&f=false

"BODY CULTURE AND PHYSICAL CULTURE" hosted on encylopedia.com
https://www.encyclopedia.com/humanities ... al-culture

There are also a number of papers written by Dr. David Brown (Reader in the Sociology of Sport and ​Physical Culture, Cardiff School of Sport, Cardiff Metropolitan University) about the subject, as I come from Wales it would be very easy for me to contact him and ask him if he could pass on those papers to you. However, even more pertinent considering what is happening across the world right now, I fear that the answer to your main question "Where are all the physical culturists from Asia in the late 1800's to the early 1900's?" can be answered in the same way that the question "Why are police officers clobbering people of colour in the streets?". At the time that you are asking about the British Empire ruled Asia, usually with an iron rod, as you will know from the Sepoy Revolt of 1857, and sadly if a person was strong and powerful, yet not European, I am sorry to say they were consigned to the historical rubbish bin.
Thanks for the links Harry, good point about colonialism and while it did to some extent affect how certain groups were publicized [or not] it thankfully did not affect the continued practice of traditional physical culture. While the Indian sub-continent and the middle east were heavily affected by colonialism the Wrestlers of those countries did receive much publicity and were able to dominate many of the European wrestlers of the day. Many Indian exercise systems found their way into British systems such as Indian clubs, which then became popular world wide. Japan was never a victim of colonialism but in fact were colonialists themselves and subjugated both Korea and Taiwan from the early 20th century.In the 1930s that expanded into the goal of dominating the whole of Asia into a greater Japanese Empire.This is for me an interesting topic started by our new member.BTW the library has a lot of information, much of it very rare, about the physical culture movement in the Indian sub-continent.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 am

I came across a Japanese pc. He was a judo expert, name was Taro Miyake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_Miyake

I have created a section on Wikipedia Commons for photographs of physical culturists and uploaded about 40 photographs, so far there are 86 names most were American or European and a few Indian. The list could probably be expanded to a 1000 but it is very tiring uploading material it took me a whole day on Thursday so I am taking a long break but I will let you know if I find any other Asian pc.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... al_culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:23 am

Hi Daryll,
thank you for this information about Miyaki and the wonderful work you are doing in compiling that list.Sterling job mate. Miyaki,Tani and Uyenoshi were the initial teachers of those who would go on to promote the Japanese fighting arts in Britain.I have a book,kindly given to me by our David,on Jujutsu by W.H. Garrud a pioneer of the art in Britain.He learned from all three although primarily Uyenoshi.
It is good for us older guys to see more younger enthusiasts joining in and stimulating new topics of interest. Please be aware your efforts are appreciated.We can all learn from and help each other.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates