Did George Hackenschmidt drink 11 pints of a milk a day?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Did George Hackenschmidt drink 11 pints of a milk a day?

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 am

Tom K wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:17 pm
I did the gomad diet (gallon of milk a day) when I first started training, but it was a author from the USA who recommend it.

I didn't realise that a usa gallon was 6 UK pints so I was drinking 8 UK pints a day. I also didn't realise the difference between the labeling in the UK and USA so I was on the full fat blue top milk when In the USA they recommended the semi skimmed.

I put a lot of weight on pretty quickly! Misprints and translation issues can change the story quickly.
Well Tom, in my opinion you were better off with the full fat version.I have heard of guys putting on a lot of weight in short time, truth be told they were eating and drinking a lot,sleeping a lot and doing very little exercise, but omitting that last fact. Yes they grew but how much of it was usable muscle?I reckon for food to be effective, hard training to stimulate muscle growth and as Bob Hoffman used to say "the internal processes" has to be applied consistently.That is were the 20 rep,"death set" squat programs came in.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates