Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

psychologist

Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Post by psychologist » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:25 am

A friend of mine recently told me that most of the famous physical culturists of all time have died in their 70s. I told him we have examples of famous strongmen in their 90s but only a few.

I would be interested if any physical culturists have made 100 years or over? The only one I know of is Joe Rollino, he was 105 years old.

Forgive me if this topic has been raised before. Does anyone have a list of the longest lived physical culturists? I am surprised this sort of thing has not been documented before.

I looked online and there are lists of the "Oldest Bodybuilders that Ever Lived" but I don't quite think we could associate them all with physical culture as they look like steroid users and the oldest all seemed to die in their early 80s.

Does anyone want to make a list? I will try my own soon, just doing some more research. Thanks.
Last edited by psychologist on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

psychologist

Re: Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Post by psychologist » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:36 am

Some claim that Paul Bragg died age 98 but this is unreliable and has never been proved. The accepted age is 81 so I will exclude Paul Bragg from my future list.

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:43 am

Manohar Aich - the Pocket Hercules - 104.

Jack LaLanne came mighty close at 96!

If you don't want to limit it to men, Eileen Folwer made it to 93.

David Webster, a fine exponent of the craft, still around at 92.

Given the conditions a lot of the older physical culturists endured both as children, and as adults, (famine and war amongst them) along with a 'trial and error' approach to their fitness, the ages many of them got to I would say are equivalent to living to 100!

Macfadden - for a man born in the 1860's to make it to 87 was no mean feat.
Hackenschmidt - a fine life lived to age 90.
Inch - 82
Max Sick - 79

With physical culturists as opposed to bodybuilders / weightlifters / celebrities, there is a greater likelihood they just got on with their lives and died in relative obscurity.

Richie.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Terry Robinson was 97 as i think Joe Assirati also was.Leo Robert was 94,Dan Lurie 90. Recent information lends us to believe that Joe Rollino was actually 10 years younger than reported,making him 94 when he was knocked down and killed,he probably could have lived to be a 100 though. I will check on this with more info later.An interesting question and i am looking forward to others being mentioned.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Another one, the great Olympic weightlifter Norbert Schemansky,92. Amazingly came back after not one but two major back surgeries to lift at the top level in international competition. While predominantly a lifter he had the physique of a top bodybuilder of his time.Looked strong and healthy well into his final years.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:58 am

Joe Weider - 93.

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 am

Strange as it may sound: Jackie Stallone (yes, mother of Sylvester), still alive and kicking at 98.

If we believe her story:

"Jacqueline Stallone's amazing biography spans years of talent, accomplishment, and achievement. She was born in Washington, D.C., the daughter of a prominent attorney and his wife a socialite Parisian attorney. Charles Atlas, the world-famous bodybuilder lived with them and trained the family in gymnastics, weight lifting and jogging.

She ran away from home at the age of 15 to join the circus and became a star aerialist on rings and bars with the Flying Wallendas act in the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Baily's The Greatest Show on Earth.

Jacqueline was the first woman to have a daily TV show on exercise and weight lifting in Washington, D.C. and later opened a gym for women-only, named Barbella's, for her loyal fans. She continued ever onward with physical fitness by creating and training G.L.O.W., The Gorgeous Girls of Wrestling, a syndicated TV show from Las Vegas that ran for five years. She and Richard Simmons made the fabulous Silver Foxes exercise videos for seniors that earned three platinum awards and sold in two editions over ten million copies worldwide."

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks Richie, i had heard about her before but had completely forgotten about it.Looks like Sly has good genes. So here is another old timer who reached the age of 95. At that age he was still able to bench press 200lb and do 10 pull ups witnessed by many at the gym where he trained. His name was Fred Archambault and was a WW2 veteran and lifelong lifter.He trained at the Oscar Matthes Gym in the 1930s where he was a member of the weightlifting team.Later he turned to Powerlifting for 20 years winning a championship in his 80s. Never stopped training until he died of an aneurysm.Dave Hartnett one of our members knew him well.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Thanks all the list of names.

I also found Emily Diana Watts, she was 101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Diana_Watts

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Armand Tanny died age 90.