Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

psychologist

Re: Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Post by psychologist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:01 pm

peter yates wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Terry Robinson was 97 as i think Joe Assirati also was.Leo Robert was 94,Dan Lurie 90. Recent information lends us to believe that Joe Rollino was actually 10 years younger than reported,making him 94 when he was knocked down and killed,he probably could have lived to be a 100 though. I will check on this with more info later.An interesting question and i am looking forward to others being mentioned.
Regards,Peter.

Thanks for listing Terry Robinson. I had not heard of him. There is an obituary here

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/nyre ... at-98.html

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Peter do you have an obituary for Leo Robert? I cannot find anything for his death online.

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Bob Delmonteque died age 92.

Arthur Robin is currently 93.

There is not much modern information on him but I take it he is still alive. No obituaries etc.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 am

This subject is interesting and most frustrating as i have a page out of an early Iron Man with ages listed both young and old of strongmen. In no order, just as i think, Terry Robinson wrote to me right up until his death, he also painted very well, i have his letters and will find them out. In the list of which i can only find one page and not even the date, it lists Prof Anthony Barker as over 101" and another guy name of Roy White at "over 108" someone i dont know off hand.As i guess at time of list, it goes on to say various names as "over 90" Paul Bragg, who Bob Kennedy knew, said he was around 90 and still alive at the time we were corresponding. wish i had the full list and date of mag, it has a photo of Hack saying he lived to 90.by contrast the list of who died young is interesting, with almost all dying of heart attacks, which may have lead to the common myth that "strongmen die young" Floyd Page was 37,Louis Cyr 49 Karl Swoboda 50, Sandow 58 Bobby Pandour 38 and so on, it then goes on to list strong men who supposedly died at an "average" age, but is not much use as at the time of the article, most were still alive anyway.I do have books with most strongmens profiles in, including their deaths, but it would be a mammoth task to list them all.Personally i dont think the weight training or lifting had any effect whatsoever, but am a believer in its your genes that list your date of demise. My father died in his 40s, but my mother was over 95 and had all her marbles . Finally if we bring the female of the species into the list, i am sure we would have some amazing figures, at this very moment our "WW11 Sweetheart Very Lyn has just died age 103. They say women live longer to clear up the mess men leave when they die, sound right to me. David Gentle One last thought, it used to be quoted that the Russians lived the longest, but the more probably reason was that the men simply lied to avoid military conscription. The only elixer of youth is love.(just found out the list was by David Willoughby)
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:32 am

psychologist wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 pm

There is not much modern information on him but I take it he is still alive. No obituaries etc.
Hi Daryll, like Joe Rollino, Bob Delmonteque was younger than his stated age.I will have to check but he was either 85 or 87 when he passed. As i have mentioned before it is not always easy to get at the facts and most writers just repeat what has already been written without checking the details so we are the ones who have to. Joe Roark is someone who i trust to discover the facts about many personalities and events,he is relentless for finding the truth.Arthur Robin, what a terrific physique he had.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:28 pm

psychologist wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 pm
Peter do you have an obituary for Leo Robert? I cannot find anything for his death online.
Daryll, Leo passed away November 28th, 2016. David wrote a memorial piece for him in the now defunct Health and Strength magazine January 2017.This site is dedicated to Leo as representing a true Physical Culturist. If you click on Home at the top of the page,then click on about us you will see a link in bold below where it says meet the HOPC team.This will take you to the dedication.Leo was a private person so there is very little about him on the internet.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:54 pm

psychologist wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Daryll, after consulting with Iron History forum, i have come up with the following information regarding Joe Rollino. From an aggregate of military records, SS records [both not always reliable] and census records [more reliable] it seems that his date of birth was March 23 1916,thus making him almost 94 when he was killed in January 2011.As previously mentioned he may well have lived much longer had he not been killed.
Bob Delmonteque [real name Mike Diaks] was according to his gravestone born in 1926 and died 2011. This would make him 85 not 92. His age has been recorded differently at various times during his life. Even so both lived full and interesting lives and for a decent number of years.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:46 am

Just remembered another one,not bad for this aging brain, Physical Culturist,wrestler, judoka, actor, stuntman Joe Robinson.Joe just made the 90 club Born 1917 passed away 2007.Who remembers "A kid for two farthings?"
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Joe's brother Doug celebrated his 90th birthday in February this year - good genes!

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:43 am

RE Joe Robinson, i knew him as a wrestler back in the 50s (He had a brother Doug and they practised Judo) I took up his offer and had Judo lessons from him at a Southampton club at ten bob or fifty pence a lesson. He was charming and yes i did see a Kid for Two Farthings, he also acted as a "French" Tarzan in movies. Last i saw him was about 3/4 years ago at the britishwrestlersreunion.com and he even pretended to remember me......Back to the list of bodybuilders birth and death dates, I have asked Diane to put on a couple of scans, but am now in the midst of a huge listing of a mix of oldtime strongmen and personalities, to modern bodybuilders, which i will send to Diane when finished to use as a reference source, All dates have bee crossed checked for accuracy .Because i wrote for so many journals, it was one of my jobs to write obituaries which i did for many famous men, some personal friends through correspondence or meeting at shows. All publications pre prepare obits for possible candidates and it was one of our jokes, when writing for Bob Kennedy at MMI, i used to ask him now and then "How was he feeling? or should i make a start on the obit" Sadly i did end up writing his. We have lost a lot of good men, lets appreciate those families and friends we are lucky to have left. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com