Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

David Gentle

Re: Who were the oldest physical culturists that ever lived?

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:09 am

Stick with me on this as i am just beginning what looks like the sort of job you wished you had never started in the first place. i have a massive bundle of lists which i used to compile as i heard of deaths of well know and other guys, and have just begain it, now its said a job once started it half done, so it should not be too long. i will do the list and then ask you guys to dig out any mistakes and add extras i have missed. the ones i am adding have been sorted out from several sources or just been told to me over the phone by say Kennedy or similar who love gossip, some of the maths look dodgy and the older the info the more suspect some of it is, but it will be an 80 percent proper list one we can add or alter to get it the reference point, a good bonus for the site. Just a foot note, i agree with Steve/Mobster, the ones who died early were seldom skinny athletes, more like 300lbs monsters, so died of overweight not steroids. lets see how it goes, If you have a list hang on to it and we will add it after, and dont worry you will receive credit for any information or input as is only right. David Gentle hopefully living long enough to finish the job.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 am

Yeah sorry my list is still in the works, you guys have proposed most of them, but would be good for me to get a full list out but I am not as experienced in all this as you lot so you know more than me.

David Gentle you said something elsewhere on this forum about someone knowing Paul Bragg in his 90s. The accepted consensus from most authorities is that Bragg died aged 81. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts about Bragg.

Peter Yates has disputed the Joe Rollino age 105 claim. Are there any physical culturists that lived over 100 years then?

If we dispute Joe Rollino was Manohar Aich the only physical culturist centenarian?
Last edited by psychologist on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:49 am

peter yates wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:28 pm
psychologist wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 pm
Peter do you have an obituary for Leo Robert? I cannot find anything for his death online.
Daryll, Leo passed away November 28th, 2016. David wrote a memorial piece for him in the now defunct Health and Strength magazine January 2017.This site is dedicated to Leo as representing a true Physical Culturist. If you click on Home at the top of the page,then click on about us you will see a link in bold below where it says meet the HOPC team.This will take you to the dedication.Leo was a private person so there is very little about him on the internet.
Regards,Peter.
Hi Peter, is there anyway I can get access to the memorial piece in the Health and Strength magazine? I cannot find any information online that documents Leo Robert's death so I would be interested in seeing that article.

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 am

What is strange is that there are no detailed online lists for the oldest bodybuilders or weightlifters that lived. There are only a few which document the oldest living bodybuilders which are in their 80s.

Ernestine Shepherd does not take any supplements, she is sometimes listed as the oldest bodybuilder at age 84. Johanna Quaas is the oldest living gymnast aged 94. There are athletes over 100 years old. Stanisław Kowalski is 110, Fauja Singh is 109 and Ida Keeling is 105 years old etc but I would not associate them with physical culture.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Daryll, i have sent you a PM. Peter.Also go the Mailbag thread to read an article by David Chapman i have just bumped.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Bill Good was 96 this is a good one for the list

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/174 ... eisey-good

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:32 pm

peter yates wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Daryll, i have sent you a PM. Peter.Also go the Mailbag thread to read an article by David Chapman i have just bumped.
Regards,Peter.
Thanks for this, I have saved the Chapman article.

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Here is the list of 90 + physical culturists presented on this thread so far by all users with some others I found.

Manohar Aich - 104
Abe Coleman - 101
Emily Diana Watts - 101
Bill Harris - 99
Martin Olofsson - 99
Angelo Savoldi - 99
Joe Assirati - 97
Terry Robinson - 97
Bill Good - 96
Jack LaLanne - 96
Rudolf Edinger - 94
Leo Robert - 94
Joe Rollino - 94 (105 disputed)
Frank Spellman - 94
Billy Varga - 94
Eileen Folwer - 93
Walter Good - 93
Arthur Robin - 93 (still living)
Joe Weider - 93
Norbert Schemansky - 92
Eduard Vanaaseme - 92
Samson Burke - 91 (still living)
George Hackenschmidt - 90
Armand Tanny - 90
Dan Lurie 90
Joe Robinson - 90
Karl Norberg - 90
Pete George - 90 (still living)
Louis Hostin - 90
Bob Delmonteque - 85 (92 disputed)
Last edited by psychologist on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:00 am

Can you just hang on in there guys, keep your lists handy, then we can compare, i have literally hundreds of names and data, it all needs another look at, you can help, but i promise this list also has been triple checked, but a lot of missing names. i got my info from various sources, a lot of old mags just repeated the same mistakes. so hand on it there and we will get the ultimate listing eventually, my guess is i wll finish typing in about two weeks. David Gentle,
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

psychologist

Post by psychologist » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:04 pm

David Gentle wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:00 am
Can you just hang on in there guys, keep your lists handy, then we can compare, i have literally hundreds of names and data, it all needs another look at, you can help, but i promise this list also has been triple checked, but a lot of missing names. i got my info from various sources, a lot of old mags just repeated the same mistakes. so hand on it there and we will get the ultimate listing eventually, my guess is i wll finish typing in about two weeks. David Gentle,
Nice, I look forward to seeing the list!