Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Handson

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Post by Handson » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 am

Does anyone know how to sort out this blockage on posting attachments??
I've been trying to add some comments and pictures to the Joe Price Gloucester Blacksmith topic for at least a week and have been getting the same message in response:-
"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Handson

Harry Hayfield

Re: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 am

It means that the number of pictures attached to posts has exceeded the amount of space the forum has dedicated to pictures. The simple way around this would be for people to review their posts and delete their threads if the pictures are not completely necessary for the forum (which is what I shall be doing now)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am

Finding this subject interesting as Pullum did a series of articles on Joe Price and his sledge hammer, He, Price,was a genuine blacksmith and remained so up to the end. His idea of using a bar with a weight one end eg a sledgehammer was taken up and Ahum......"invented by uncle Joe W" who let it out as a leverage bell, you just loaded up a bar one and and did a variety of exercises, by co incidence the illustrator and a mighty muscle man at that was our own Leo Robert, as you can see in the early Weedy mags.I get bored with it after a week and went back to normal bars loaded both ends, but some feats of strength developed from the idea. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 pm

David, i think it was Aston who did the leaver bar first, he called it his "anti-barbell" and the Jowett did his version of the lever bell, then uncle Joe W. came along claiming he invented it in the Weider research clinic [read broom cupboard.]
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:17 am

SLOGGING A.K.A FLOGGING SPANNER.jpg
SLOGGING A.K.A FLOGGING SPANNER.jpg (542.55 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Joe Price Flogging Wheelbarrows 1929.png
Joe Price Flogging Wheelbarrows 1929.png (866.63 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Hi All
The sledgehammer which Joe Price is using in the photo supplied by Danny Boy looks to me like a slogging hammer also known as a flogging hammer.

Such hammers were once widely used to hit slogging spanners to persuade nuts to turn, in shipyards, railcards and on chemical plants, which is where I acquired one which proved to be easy enough as the fitters hated them and would ‘lose’ them.

Some of the nuts [metal not human variety] on the plants could be up to a foot across and the slogging spanners were necessarily heavy duty and robust [unlike some of the fitters!] as well as costly.

The attachment shows a modestly-sized slogging spanner costing over £500 -or it would if the website would allow the paltry 209KB attachment to be shown -web designer take note!

I kept my 56lb version at home for several years and eventually gave it to a bloke who said he was having difficulty hammering in some fence posts.

Nowadays such sledgehammers have been outmoded by sliding handled types so there may be old ones around in scrapyards etc.

As for Joe Price’s smithy, all its contents were donated to the Gloucester Museum in 1961 by the Price family & where they can now be seen.

And in a different take on the flogging theme Joe Price was flogging his handmade wheelbarrows well into the 1930s as his regular adverts showed.

I'll post the attachments if & when the website allows.

Regards
Handson
Last edited by Handson on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:50 am

Handson wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 am
Does anyone know how to sort out this blockage on posting attachments??
I've been trying to add some comments and pictures to the Joe Price Gloucester Blacksmith topic for at least a week and have been getting the same message in response:-
"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Handson
Handson, please contact Diane by PM with your request.She is the administrator and available to help with such inquiries.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:31 am

A good idea is to use a image host such as "Flickr".

It's what I am using. It even has an "embed" copy and paste link that let's you paste the photo easily into the forum replies.

The good thing about it, is that you can easily use the photos on other forums or for your own backup. I've used several images hosts and it's easily the best one currently. It also uses less bandwidth on the forum.

https://www.flickr.com/

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:09 am

Thanks for your help Tom.This whole technology is mystery to me.
Peter Yates