Reg Park Bound

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Kazza61

Reg Park Bound

Post by Kazza61 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:43 am

So in a very poor movie Hercules was 'unbound' but I have come across some Reg Park magazines that are well and truly bound! I'm guessing that Reg sold these himself at the end of a calendar year but happy to be corrected. The magazines within (One year of Mr Universe/Muscleman and two years of the Reg Park Journal) are in near perfect condition although the external binding is a little faded. From a collector's point of view I can't decide whether them being bound reduces or increases their collectability but they are certainly nice sets to browse through. What do other members think?

https://i.postimg.cc/qRK1Hhzb/20200720-093453.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zX70N1Gr/20200721-182716.jpg

peter yates

Re: Reg Park Bound

Post by peter yates » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 am

I loved the Reg Park magazines and have a few in my collection.Some of the best training advise at the time [still valid today] and great photos.Not sure if the value is affected with bounding though.I have bound Health and Strength and also Vigour in my collection.Are these yours Tony?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:47 am

Hi Peter.
Yes, the ones in the photos are mine.
I have what I considered a very large bodybuilding magazine collection but I suspect it may not be that large compared with some other members though!

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 am

Reg Parks mag was first financed by Weider in 1952 March and called Mr Universe, Chas Smith wrote most of the text, this went on for 8 issues, then Regs father stepped in, in Jan 1954 a good business and it went purely to The Reg Park mag although Weider still had adverts and Chas still wrote, it was a good mag, have had them all and sold them all over and over, now wish i had kept them and have long been trying to get them back again so would buy them if cheap enough. Bound copies are best,but only if the binder included the full mag, cover, adverts and back cover, some book binders take off the outside covers and some even cut adverts often the most important .I think it went on for about 7/8 years cant remember, i got all my originals off John Valentine, the uk dealer of muscle mags.It ended Nov 1959 to be incorporated with Mans World mag, itself later incorporated with Health and Strength, here endeth the first lesson, David Gentle If you want to sell the let me know price David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:15 am

David Gentle wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 am
Reg Parks mag was first financed by Weider in 1952 March and called Mr Universe, Chas Smith wrote most of the text, this went on for 8 issues, then Regs father stepped in, in Jan 1954 a good business and it went purely to The Reg Park mag although Weider still had adverts and Chas still wrote, it was a good mag, have had them all and sold them all over and over, now wish i had kept them and have long been trying to get them back again so would buy them if cheap enough. Bound copies are best,but only if the binder included the full mag, cover, adverts and back cover, some book binders take off the outside covers and some even cut adverts often the most important .I think it went on for about 7/8 years cant remember, i got all my originals off John Valentine, the uk dealer of muscle mags.It ended Nov 1959 to be incorporated with Mans World mag, itself later incorporated with Health and Strength, here endeth the first lesson, David Gentle If you want to sell the let me know price David
Thank you for the information David - I guess that explains why in 1952 'Mr Universe' became 'Muscleman'. For interest I have taken a photo of Reg's first Muscleman editorial where he explains that he has severed all ties with the Mr Universe magazine. Apart from the title though, the magazine is virtually the same format. All three books contain the full magazines including front and back covers (and adverts) although the paper of the covers seems to be the same quality as the contents (this may have been the same for the originals too?).

I wasn't particularly looking to sell them - more just trying to get an idea whether being bound increased or decreased their 'collectability'. One of advantage of being bound is the actual magazines themselves are in beautiful condition. Maybe one day I will start selling my collection - I originally said to my eldest daughter that one day all my collection would come to her. He reply was simply "how much is a skip Dad?".

Here is the photo of the first Muscleman editorial. Interesting to see that in 1952, Reg thought bodybuilding had reached its peak in America!

https://i.postimg.cc/bN9mpG9d/20200725-185741.jpg

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:52 am

Hi Kazza, funny name that, its also my daughters nearly nick name of Kazzy due to her only being able to say that when a youngster before her real Karen name....i digress. as usual. You are right about Reg only made real progress when he went to Weedy land (USA) i have letters from both Reg and the yanks who trained with him . He did a lot with Clancy Ross, and other Weider guys, but had real tough workouts with Marvin Eder, one of the strongest bodybuilders in the world pound for pound . The set system was all in vogue against what most Brits used eg the single progressive system and of course the American diet did a lot, also is human nature, a bit of competition always helps you train harder, tougher and longer. When he came back his father did the business side of the mag. Reg did a lot of guest spots and was always very popular simply because he recognised his fans, signed all autographs for free and was open to advice, he also quite rarely for a busy guy, answered all his fan mail in his large long hand. One of a kind. I know they called Reeves that, but Reg really was different, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:57 am

Just an addenda Kazza, re the collection, i too have a life long collection (over 70yrs of collecting started at school) and said the same to my daughter....one day etc, and guess what, i got the same reply, "sorry dad, its all going in a skip", so i had better begin flogging it all off soon before its all on the internet for free, so in reverse, anything you want especially for your skip, let me know and i will save it from my skip. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:32 am

Most kind David - thank you.
I do sometimes wonder at what point does a proud collector become a shameful hoarder? And how many of us bodybuilding collectors passed that point a long time ago? I'm sure I probably have...
It is a dilemma to think about when one should start to divest of their collection - especially when no-one in the family shares the interest. I guess that decision boils down to how mortal one feels and at what point one feels they are likely to 'pop off'.
And actually starting to divest seems to be a massive challenge in itself. Just where does one begin? Putting a few Health & Strengths on eBay at some ridiculously inflated price every week as some seem to do or should one try to sell smaller collections or even the whole collection at once? And where to start? Oldest first? Books first, magazines later? I really wish I had continued to index my collection - something I stopped doing when I was about 18 (I still have the exercise book I used at the time!).
Every time I think about it, strangely I always find something more pressing to attend to. It is this pocrastination that is no doubt going to be the benefit of the skip hire company!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:28 am

Tony,
David,myself and others have talked about the need for some type of central Physical Culture museum in the UK similar to the Stark center in Texas.Of course such an undertaking needs financial backing, a space adequate enough and some younger people wiiling to take on the task. Many of the collectors in know in the USA tend to be a bit older but there are a few younger ones with a big interest. While my collection is not huge, i do not want it to go to waste and i have few people in mind who i can donate to.The only person who i know in the UK who has a future vision of displaying his amazing collection is Tom Balchin.My wife is much younger than me and has no interest and my son although he trains also has no interest in the collection,so will probably start shedding in the next couple of years.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am

A physical culture museum sounds a wonderful idea Peter. Sadly, I fear that in this country there would be insufficient interest, and therefore insufficient funds, to maintain it for long. More's the pity.