Reg Park Bound

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

David Gentle

Re: Reg Park Bound

Post by David Gentle » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:33 am

Hi Kazz , many moons ago, when the moon was on its seventh high and venus was in line with mars(yes sound nuts,but i have even written a horoscope column in my time, all a load of crap i made up, ) anyway back to subject, yes a long time a go, i decided to do an inventory, it took literally weeks, having a garage full, two lofts full, under cupboard full and three bookcases full, ..anyway, typed it all out, even illustrated it, then advertised it via the couple of mags i was writing for at the time, 30 full A4 pages of hundreds and hundreds of books, lord knows how many photos, courses etc. I sold the catalogue for $1. for post, out went dozens of them, ..............then after people wrote back wanting stuff, i had a change of heart, kept the lot, dumped the catalogues and as i have been adding more"stuff" for all those years since have no idea what i have, even been known to buy doubles or trebles of books forgetting i already had them. I did have the advantage of being a writer, i made many friends, and sadly some of those died, better luck, some left me their collections also, hence, i shall soon be sleeping in the garden shed as the wife has threatened to throw me out if i buy so much as one more book. Mind you after once receiving 6-8 muscle mags a month, now with only as far as i know The Beef bravely still being published, it will not expand as in earlier times...the collection that is. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 am

Your collection sounds very much larger than mine David! Good luck coming up with a plan to offload that when the time right. (Or upsetting the family if you time it wrong!).
In case you want to keep adding though, Muscular Development is still published and sold by WHSmith. There was a time it was a very large publication - about 300+ pages per edition but these days it is a very slimmed down 130 or so. I find it still to be quite enjoyable.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 am

Kaz, i used to be foreign correspondant to MD when Grimek was editor, then Jan Dellinger took over and also kept me on, i am happy to say Jan is now one of our gang and we correspond now and then talking about the o ld days. but i must admit i didnt know it was still available, will take a look David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:50 pm

David Gentle wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 am
Kaz, i used to be foreign correspondant to MD when Grimek was editor, then Jan Dellinger took over and also kept me on, i am happy to say Jan is now one of our gang and we correspond now and then talking about the o ld days. but i must admit i didnt know it was still available, will take a look David
Hi David,
You will find it a very different magazine than the one you used to write for but interesting I think to see the direction it has taken.
You know, I have read and enjoyed many, many of your great articles over the years and you do have a very engaging writing style. Coupled with that, you have an almost unrivalled insider knowledge of the PC game over ahem, a number of years. I was wondering whether there might be a book in you waiting to break out?? The history, the personalities, the publishers, the rivalries - a real warts ‘n’ all, tell all book of bodybuilding’s modern history? I think it would be brilliant! (No pressure!).
Is it something you have considered?
All the best,
Tony

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Hey Tony, now that would really be something.David knows where the skeletons are buried for sure. ;)
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:22 am

I was collecting for a long time but found that the prices became extortionate.

A museum is far too expensive to run but a website is cheap in comparison and can reach a lot more people.

I started to digitise my collections but as the prices rose it became impossible to keep going.

It would be a dream of mine to borrow such an immaculate collection of magazines and digitise them making them freely available on the Internet. There's been big progress in recent years for "DIY digitisers" that makes it within the realm of the hobbyist to complete tasks once reserved for giants like libraries or Google.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Kazza61 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:50 pm
David Gentle wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 am
Hi David,
You will find it a very different magazine than the one you used to write for but interesting I think to see the direction it has taken.
You know, I have read and enjoyed many, many of your great articles over the years and you do have a very engaging writing style. Coupled with that, you have an almost unrivalled insider knowledge of the PC game over ahem, a number of years. I was wondering whether there might be a book in you waiting to break out?? The history, the personalities, the publishers, the rivalries - a real warts ‘n’ all, tell all book of bodybuilding’s modern history? I think it would be brilliant! (No pressure!).
Is it something you have considered?
All the best,
Tony
Tony, i cannot believe we were just talking about David writing down in his life story and now it has ended. Still a big shock for me but thank goodness we have so much of his written word left for us,and thank goodness so many of us benefited from his generosity.Irreplaceable.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:57 pm

[/quote]
Tony, i cannot believe we were just talking about David writing down in his life story and now it has ended. Still a big shock for me but thank goodness we have so much of his written word left for us,and thank goodness so many of us benefited from his generosity.Irreplaceable.
Regards,Peter.
[/quote]

Hi Peter,
Yes indeed. A great life story now threaded throughout our PC collections. And now those writings of David’s are even more poignant.
I also can’t believe David and I only just exchanging thoughts about how will we know the time is right to divest ourselves of our PC collections. The truth is all too plain now (and rather painful to contemplate) - we can never know when the time is right to act - only make the best of every day we have.
Best wishes,
Tony

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm

Amen.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:23 pm

So today I have just sold the annual bound editions of Reg Park’s magazines that I detailed in the first post on this thread. When David had asked about me selling them to him, I said I wasn’t sure I wanted to let them go but David’s passing has made me reconsider. I have a large book and magazine collection and I think I ought to downsize it before nature eventually gets in my way too. In a lovely turn of events, the chap who has bought the books turns out to be a close friend of Reg’s son Jon Jon and intends to share them with him. I couldn’t have wished for them to go anywhere better!