CBD thread

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

RickHarley

CBD thread

Post by RickHarley » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:42 am

Who knows famous bodybuilder sportsmen who smoke or use CBD products? Is it really work? My doc suggests using https://berkshirecbd.com/
Last edited by RickHarley on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kazza61

Re: CBD thread

Post by Kazza61 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Arnold was smoking weed towards the end of the film Pumping Iron but I doubt it aided his Olympia winning physique. CBD oil and other products are relatively recent innovations and some of the best and strongest physiques in the world were built long before it was ever heard of. Whether it is of any benefit I don’t really know but I can be sure it isn’t actually needed.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:16 pm

The earliest reference I can find to cannabis in the UK (with a connection to physical culture) comes from the Newcastle Daily Chronicle on April 6th 1887 (specifically in the adverts section) where an advert reads:

"For Asthma, Hoarseness: Grimault's Indian Cigarettes of Cannabis Indica (otherwise known as Purple Kush) have been tried in the hospitals and found to give immediate relief in all cases of Asthma, Nervous Coughs, Hoarseness, Loss of Voice, Facial Neuralgia and Sleeplessness. Sold by all chemists, or Post Free of F Newbery and Sons, 1 King Edward Street, EC, London"

The syrup cost 2/9 and the cigarettes 1/9, therefore would suggest that you focus your search for physical culturalists from 1880 - 1900
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 am

That's an interesting reference Harry but I doubt those claims lived up to much in the way of scrutiny. In the same way cigarettes were once promoted for their 'health' benefits, the reality we now know is very different.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:17 am

Kazza61 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 am
That's an interesting reference Harry but I doubt those claims lived up to much in the way of scrutiny. In the same way cigarettes were once promoted for their 'health' benefits, the reality we now know is very different.
You are quite right, indeed during the Victorian era they went completely overboard on ideas that are bonkers these days, did you know for instance they even invented the steam powered exercise machine?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Even in recent times Harry. In the 1980’s a firm tried to market a pair of trunks which had a pouch at the front into which you were supposed to slip a frozen gel pack! The theory being that if the testes were kept cooler than the rest of the body they would produce more testosterone and subsequently turn you into a muscular behemoth! Cold or not of course, they would never produce more than the normal amount. I remember reading an advert for them in Muscle Digest - the title of which was “The Ice Man Commeth”.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Kazza61 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:03 pm
Even in recent times Harry. In the 1980’s a firm tried to market a pair of trunks which had a pouch at the front into which you were supposed to slip a frozen gel pack! The theory being that if the testes were kept cooler than the rest of the body they would produce more testosterone and subsequently turn you into a muscular behemoth! Cold or not of course, they would never produce more than the normal amount. I remember reading an advert for them in Muscle Digest - the title of which was “The Ice Man Commeth”.
Hey Tony, maybe that is why in the Charles Atlas course we are encouraged to splash ice water on the testicles. :o
:lol:
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:31 am

Hi Peter. I read somewhere that Charles Atlas was something of a puritan and he also thought washing the tackle in ice cold water would deter young chaps from "unnatural" practices....
Pull the other one Charles!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: My mate who did the course as a young lad said obviously Atlas did not live in the North of England.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:50 am

Exactly Lol. I'm from the North of England and as a kid there wasn't much of an option so our family jewels got washed in ice cold water every morning whether we wanted to or not. By rights I should have been enormous!
Last edited by Kazza61 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.