Strandpullers of Britain : Set your DVR's

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Harry Hayfield

Strandpullers of Britain : Set your DVR's

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:58 am

It is not often that I can post a reference on the television to a demonstration of physical culture so I am glad that I am able to give just a bit of notice before a primetime demonstration of strand pulling. Back in the summer, the BBC did a programme called "Back in time for Dinner" where a family spent just over seven weeks eating a different day's meals according to the British National Food Survey (that ran from 1950 - 2000). As part of the BBC's Christmas output that same family were asked to celebrate Christmas in the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and 1990's and last night they broadcast the Christmases of the 1940's, 50's and 60's. Tonight, they focus on the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's and I am sure that members who were familiar with physical culture in the 1970's will instantly put two and two together and come up with "No, they're not!" to which the answer is "Oh yes they are!", the father of the family will get a chest expander as part of his 1970's Christmas presents!

The programme is being broadcast on BBC Two at 9.00pm GMT and will be available on the iPlayer service from tomorrow onwards (where if I am able to, I will be able to make some screen grabs and post them on here)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Re: Strandpullers of Britain : Set your DVR's

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:36 am

Hopefully the chest expander that the father receives is a good quality one.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:28 am

THANKS HARRY,
HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO POST THIS. ALSO HOPE THAT DAD PUTS IT TO GOOD USE. I GOT A TERRY'S STRAND SET FOR CHRISTMAS WHEN I WAS TWELVE THAT DID GET A LOT OF USE. ONE GREAT FEATURE WAS IT INCLUDED SPRINGS OF DIFFERENT RESISTANCE FROM 5 TO I BELIEVE 50 LB.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:28 am

peter yates wrote:THANKS HARRY,
HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO POST THIS. ALSO HOPE THAT DAD PUTS IT TO GOOD USE. I GOT A TERRY'S STRAND SET FOR CHRISTMAS WHEN I WAS TWELVE THAT DID GET A LOT OF USE. ONE GREAT FEATURE WAS IT INCLUDED SPRINGS OF DIFFERENT RESISTANCE FROM 5 TO I BELIEVE 50 LB.
REGARDS, PETER.
Sounds great. Based on everything I've read about them, Terry's use to make some excellent chest expanders. Spenby was another.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:51 am

Here's the only picture that shows the father using the equipment. Sadly at no point during the programme did they say who made it, but the main presenter Giles Coren did note that he used one at the age of 15 and "had to be careful when releasing it in case it caught on a nipple"
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Image

Here's the only picture that shows the father using the equipment. Sadly at no point during the programme did they say who made it, but the main presenter Giles Coren did note that he used one at the age of 15 and "had to be careful when releasing it in case it caught on a nipple"
LOL! :lol:

Thanks for posting the photo.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:31 am

Believe it or not, in my gym ie small garden shed, i have made a framed picture of cuttings of muscle mag adverts from the 40s/50s and it includes strandpullers! :D
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:11 am

HI COLIN, WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM.WOULD YOU MIND SHARING THEM WITH US?
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:13 am

Here you are Peter!
Attachments
DSCF8311 1st small.jpg
DSCF8311 1st small.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 10620 times
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm

^Awesome collage Colin and motivational too I'm sure! :)