Invitation to PC Followers

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

drob357
Site Admin

Invitation to PC Followers

Post by drob357 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:59 pm

We invite you to join our Discussion Group in our new Forum. We welcome your questions, comments and insights as they pertain to the History of Physical Culture.

David Gentle, Author & Historian and Life-Time Achievement award winner along with Gil Waldron, Research Historian and Contributing Editor are our Chief Moderators. They offer a wealth of insightful wisdom on the topic of Physical Culture. We hope you will join us. You won't be disappointed!.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Re: Invitation to PC Followers

Post by David Gentle » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Gang,

I'd just like to thank you all for such kind comments about the site, which thanks to my mate Gil and the expertise of Diane Robert is now one of the best on the web relating to physical culture.

Its great after spending literally a life time in P.C. to find many others who want to learn the history and carry on with the great traditions of health, strength and comradeship, thank you all.

Dont forget guys we will also answer training questions if we have time. I wrote Bodypower Answers for some years and answered 1000 questions in print. the main mistake all newcomers make is OVERTRAINING, remember your body requires time to recover and muscles grow while you sleep, happy dreams.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Gil Waldron

Post by Gil Waldron » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Guys

What can I add to David’s comments, except it’s a pleasure working with him and Diane. Diane has done a wonderful job bringing the website up into the 21st century and now giving us a younger and wider audience. It’s amazed me how many young people have contacted me. I think though she will have a lot harder job pulling David and I into the same century. Thanks Diane. Thanks David
Gil Waldron
Chief Moderator
Research Historian/Contributing Editor

Dave Hartnett

Post by Dave Hartnett » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 am

Thank you all for updating the site, and adding all of the material from Gil's site.
It was depressing when the Sandow Plus site went away, and now combined here, it is THEE online PC library.

Thanks again!

~Dave

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:38 am

Thank you for your wonderful feedback Dave. We truly appreciate it.

Diane Robert
Site Administrator
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:25 am

Hello gang. Just a brief request,I am planning writing a book on strand pulling or the use of chest expanders in the modern age. Does anyone have any views on this? Personally i find great benefit and the feel good factor using strands or springs and you can certainly pump up your triceps and deltoids with strands. also considering the history of strand pulling and know that David Webster wrote many fine articles and several books about strand pulling . So what do you think? Again even today, bodybuilders find strands great for pre contest pumping, being light to carry even for taking on holiday just to keep the muscles pumped, so comments, advice and info welcome, thanks David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:45 pm

David Gentle wrote:Hello gang. Just a brief request,I am planning writing a book on strand pulling or the use of chest expanders in the modern age. Does anyone have any views on this? Personally i find great benefit and the feel good factor using strands or springs and you can certainly pump up your triceps and deltoids with strands. also considering the history of strand pulling and know that David Webster wrote many fine articles and several books about strand pulling . So what do you think? Again even today, bodybuilders find strands great for pre contest pumping, being light to carry even for taking on holiday just to keep the muscles pumped, so comments, advice and info welcome, thanks David Gentle
I think, but will need to ask him to confirm, that one of my friends from Seattle in Washington state, started off his bodybuilding training with chest expanders (and graduated to the gym after a couple of years of that). Is that the sort of background that you are looking for and if so (once I have confirmed that he did use them), would you like me to pass on his details to you?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:22 pm

HELLO DAVID,
A BOOK ON STRAND PULLING WOULD BE GREAT FROM MY PERSPECTIVE. I RECEIVED MY FIRST TERRY'S STEEL STRAND SET FOR MY 12TH BIRTHDAY AND SPENT MANY HAPPY HOURS WORKING OUT WITH IT. OVER THE YEARS I TRAVELED A LOT AND WAS ALWAYS ABLE TO GET A GOOD WORKOUT WITH BODY WEIGHT EXERCISES, CABLES AND SOME MUSCLE CONTROL. STRANDS HIT THE BODY IN WAYS WEIGHTS CANNOT AND ARE ESPECIALLY EFFECTIVE FOR THE UPPER BACK, DELTOIDS AND TRICEPS. ALSO VERY GOOD FOR THE OLDER TRAINER AS STRANDS ARE LESS OVER ALL DRAINING ON THE SYSTEM. AS YOU WELL KNOW STRAND PULLING COMPETITION WAS QUITE POPULAR AT ONE TIME. WOULD BE NICE TO SEE IT MAKE A REVIVAL.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:01 am

Dear Peter, thanks for possitive response. Like you there is some sort of pleasure stretching out strands and they are great for pumping up the triceps and deltoids. i am currently gathering everything i can on strands and eventually will put it together for a book, but with the accent on modern usage. best wishes Peter, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:47 pm

I hadn't been to the Sandow Plus website in quite awhile (probably a few years) and only recently discovered that it was no more. That was a disappointing discovery, especially with the wealth of physical culture knowledge & free information that was contained on the site, but I was happy to have found this, The History of Physical Culture website yesterday. All I can say is that this website looks incredible so far, please keep up the great work! Thank you!

In regards to David Gentle and the book he plans to write on strand pulling or the use of chest expanders in the modern age, it sounds good to me, but on the subject of chest expanders; where in the world can one buy a good quality chest expander? When it comes to the rubber tubing type, I've heard good things about Lifeline USA's chest expanders, and the Oldtime Strongman website promotes them. How about spring chest expanders though, does anyone make good quality spring chest expanders anymore?? It seems like all of the spring chest expanders I've seen in stores or online aren't really of very good quality, with the cheap plastic handles and poor quality springs that are stretched out/loose after a month or two of regular usage.