The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Talbot

The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Post by Talbot » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:30 pm

The book MUSCLE CONTROL, by Maxick, one of the great books of Physical Culture, actually written by Monte Saldo, as Maxick was unable to write in English in 1909, has a major flaw. While the intro is interesting, and points out the problem with repetitive use of muscles, producing neither strength, nor size, when it comes to exercise, yet the first exercise example eludes potential users. The first exercise demands that you relax every muscle in your body. That is beyond the ability. and understanding, of the vast majority of people who even look at the book. They stop right there, and never look at the book again. I've given out many copies of MUSCLE CONTROL, as gifts. None of the recipients ever got past exercise #1. They all told me that the book was stupid, or it was just isometrics that don't work. At that point it was too late to tell them that they were wrong, as they had already made up their minds. Exercise #1 is too advanced for the average person. You won't see the results immediately, and that's always a discouragement, especially for a beginner. I believe that people should begin with exercise #3, isolation of the Latissimus Dorsi. Following the simple directions for six or eight weeks will produce noticeable results, that will encourage the newbie on Muscle Control practicality. They can pick up on the whole body relaxation, and contraction later, once they know that the system actually works. Once it is understood that relaxation of your muscles, after every contraction of your muscles, floods your muscles with nutrients, hormones, and hydrates the muscles, you will be on the road to Muscle Control development, both for size and strength.

Talbot

Re: The problem with MUSCLE CONTROL

Post by Talbot » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:36 pm

I neglected to point out that the book MUSCLE CONTROL, is available for free, on this wonderful website! Look it up and learn.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 am

Thanks Talbot, i will give that a try. I must admit i looked at the abdominal exercises and was filled with negative thinking!
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:22 am

@colinkbell: The abdominal exercises in MUSCLE CONTROL, baffle almost everyone. The vacuum pose, the basic exercise for abdominal control, isn't about contracting muscles, it's about relaxing muscles, specifically the Traverse Abdominis and the Diaphragm. Exhaling all the air out of your lungs, naturally makes those two muscles, when they are completely relaxed, to be sucked up into the vacated of air lung space. Most people assume, incorrectly, that you have to suck in your gut, as in contract your ab muscles. Totally wrong! Relaxation of the muscles is key. After you master that, then specific muscle contraction, as in the rope pose, and the each side abs contractions, are something to work on. First you have to relax your ab muscles and the Diaphragm.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Talbot wrote:@colinkbell: The abdominal exercises in MUSCLE CONTROL, baffle almost everyone. The vacuum pose, the basic exercise for abdominal control, isn't about contracting muscles, it's about relaxing muscles, specifically the Traverse Abdominis and the Diaphragm. Exhaling all the air out of your lungs, naturally makes those two muscles, when they are completely relaxed, to be sucked up into the vacated of air lung space. Most people assume, incorrectly, that you have to suck in your gut, as in contract your ab muscles. Totally wrong! Relaxation of the muscles is key. After you master that, then specific muscle contraction, as in the rope pose, and the each side abs contractions, are something to work on. First you have to relax your ab muscles and the Diaphragm.
That's some good info & insight there Talbot, thanks! :)

Jarett Hulse

Post by Jarett Hulse » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I always wanted to spent more time with Muscle control, but haven't. I think its a similar problem when trying to teach someone to exercise who has never exercised before. For instance, when someone is benching or squatting and you tell them to tighten, flex their abs or lats. They have no concept on how to do that. So you have to tell them tricks to do it. Like push your elbows together. Pretend your squeezing a ball with your back, or something like that. It takes time to have muscle awareness. Though I think most people get it just be lifting or working out. Though actually practicing Muscle Control takes it to the next level.

I have a couple copies of Muscle Control, but have been looking for Maxick's "Greater Strength" (I think it's called) for years. I'm curious if he talks about muscle control in that book at all, or if it is more conventional (for the time) weightlifting advice.

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:09 am

I agree with your observations Talbot. The photographs are fantastic but the written instructions left a lot to be desired. Your description of the abdominal control is also spot on. If I can add one more secret to the abdominal control it is the locking of the glottis of the throat. I have only seen this mentioned once but it is vital to prevent the air re-entering the lungs during the abdominal controls. You can close the glottis by a sort of gag feeling in the throat and you do it as you force all the air out of the lungs. I know you will all no be sat there trying to gag and wondering what I am on about ha
Paul

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:36 am

@jarret Hulse: Maxick's GREAT STRENGTH is available, free of charge, on this wonderful website! Muscle Control is way better than most people believe. I say it is the extreme contraction of muscles, and the equally extreme relaxation of muscles, that is key to results. Of course there are those who would argue with me, about that, but I'll stand my ground on those opinions.

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:51 am

@Paul Shaw: You are correct. The locking of the Glottis is how you keep air out of your lungs when you are doing the basic stomach vacuum. I should have mentioned it, but I ignored the fact that most people might not do that naturally. Just another example of how correct descriptions of Muscle Control don't quite get out there to the public. Perhaps this forum will get the details, about how Muscle Control exercises really work, with feed back from members, trying to help each other. Muscle Control is more than hundred years old, and it needs more publicity, for the benefit of exercisers everywhere!

Jarett Hulse

Post by Jarett Hulse » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:14 am

Thanks for posting that. I'll check out the book, but I'm one of those weird collectors, who needs an original.

I wonder if muscle control could help with my back pain?