Joe Price, the Gloucester Blacksmith & Strongman

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Joe Price, the Gloucester Blacksmith & Strongman

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:43 am

HI PAUL,
INTERESTING BIT OF HISTORICAL INFO THERE. I DID HEAR THOUGH THAT YOU HAVE MANGED TO EXTRACT A JAMMY DODGER FROM DAVID'S HAND BEFORE HE HAD TIME TO CLOSE IT. :lol:
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:36 am

Paul Shaw wrote:The feat looks really great but all is not as it seems once the hand is closed with the handles held tight the only way for the handles to separate is for the hand to tear apart eek.

I believe Edward Aston originated the feat when he had someone's pet monkey grip his hand and pull him towards the cage (must have been like trying to pull a chocolate eclair out of Dave Gentles grip).
Edward couldn't get away from the monkey and investigated this type of grip developing the feat from there.

Don't let Steve modesty fool you he is a force to be recorded with and even pretended I had hurt him when I gave him a crushing handshake last time we met ha
Paul
:lol:

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Paul Shaw wrote:The feat looks really great but all is not as it seems once the hand is closed with the handles held tight the only way for the handles to separate is for the hand to tear apart eek.

I believe Edward Aston originated the feat when he had someone's pet monkey grip his hand and pull him towards the cage (must have been like trying to pull a chocolate eclair out of Dave Gentles grip).
Edward couldn't get away from the monkey and investigated this type of grip developing the feat from there.

Don't let Steve modesty fool you he is a force to be recorded with and even pretended I had hurt him when I gave him a crushing handshake last time we met ha
Paul
Hey Paul, thank you for the insight & info! That's definitely an interesting story regarding Edward Aston and the pet monkey.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am

HI GUYS,
I BELIEVE JOE PRICE HAD A SLEDGEHAMMER TRAINING COURSE OF EXERCISES. HAS ANYONE EITHER SEEN THIS OR BETTER STILL OWN ONE?
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:14 pm

peter yates wrote:HI GUYS,
I BELIEVE JOE PRICE HAD A SLEDGEHAMMER TRAINING COURSE OF EXERCISES. HAS ANYONE EITHER SEEN THIS OR BETTER STILL OWN ONE?
REGARDS, PETER.
It's funny you bring that up Peter. Just a couple weeks ago the Oldtime Strongman Facebook page posted that they have a copy of The Joe Price Vulcan Sledge Hammer course and will be releasing parts of it soon, and to sign up for email updates on their website to get it. They haven't released any of the course yet, but I'm watching out for them in my emails.

The Joe Price Vulcan Sledge Hammer course is one... - http://www.oldtimestrongman.com

Anyway, Joe Price's sledgehammer course seems to be extremely rare. I've looked into it before and wasn't able to find out much of anything about it, much less actually find a copy. So I'm looking forward to whatever the Oldtime Strongman website releases of it. Actually I'm kinda hoping they'll just go ahead & do a reprint of the entire course and sell it on their website like they have with some other old training books & courses. We'll see....

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:40 am

RE JOE PRICE, PULLUM WROTE A LOT ABOUT JOE BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN HE RAN HEALTH AND STRENGTH. THE IDEA TRAVELLED TO EDWARD ASTON WHO USED WHAT HE CALLED A LEVERAGE BAR, THEN JOE WEIDER "DISCOVERED IT" AND USED THE GREAT LEO ROBERT TO ILLUSTRATE LEVERAGE BELL EXERCISES IN YOUR PHYSIQUE MAGAZINES. I AM SURE JOWETT MUST HAVE HAD SIMILAR IDEAS. FUNNILY ENOUGH I WAS IN THE REME AND LOVED BLACKSMITHING WORK. I AM SURE OUR OLD CHINA STEVE COULD EMULATE MOST OF THE FEATS GIVEN TIME. BUT MUST ADMIT PAUL SHAW IS STILL UNBEATABLE ON THE CARD TEARING CORNER STUNT. MAKE SURE IF YOU TRY TO DO IT, TO USE CARDS FROM THE POUND SHOP AS THEY TEAR EASY, ONLY KIDDING. DAVID GENTLE.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:22 am

Cheers David. Just this weekend I broke a world record on a leverage type event. The Pick Axe Lever to Rear – Hold 7.4k for 22sec.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:35 am

HI STEVE,
CONGRATULATIONS. WHAT WERE THE OTHER SCORES?ALSO DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS OR VIDEO YOU COULD POST?
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 am

Mobster wrote:Cheers David. Just this weekend I broke a world record on a leverage type event. The Pick Axe Lever to Rear – Hold 7.4k for 22sec.
Awesome, congratulations Steve, I'm glad the Andy Bolton grip competition went well for you! Andy Bolton posted on his Facebook page yesterday that it was a great grip competition, but he didn't really go into any details so I sent you a private message yesterday evening asking how it went. You can just disregard that. As Peter asked, do you have any photos or video you could post? I'd love to see any you may have. Again, congratulations! :)

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 am

Most of my pics are too large but I'll try. How about this video of my first (of 3) world records?
https://vimeo.com/164070142