Muscular Heroes (if not directly PC)

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Harry Hayfield

Muscular Heroes (if not directly PC)

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:12 am

A lot has been said about the influence of people like Steve Reeves and Reg Park and those bodybuilders who found fame in the movie industry after their bodybuilding careers with suggestions being put forward that without them, the likes of Arnie wouldn't have stepped into a gym (and by association films like Conan the Barbarian wouldn't have been made).

I would like to put forward the contention that they also have a great influence on other muscular heroes, for instance The Mighty Hercules (from 1960), Roger Ramjet (from 1965), Sinbad Junior (from 1965), Mighty Heroes (from 1966) and perhaps the most famous version He-Man (from 1985), therefore I would like to know if I profile a list of them over the years?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Re: Muscular Heroes (if not directly PC)

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:12 am

^Sure Harry, that sounds like a fine idea to me. :)

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:01 am

HI DANNY, THOSE LIST WOULD BE GREAT, AS AN OUTRIGHT NUTTER FOR TARZAN, COULD YOU ALSO INCLUDE AS MANY TARZANS AS POSSIBLE. ALTHOUGH I LIKE WEISSMULLER BEST, HE DIDNT HAVE THE GREATEST PHYSIQUE, I THINK THAT GOES TO GORDEN SCOTT. BUT SEE WHAT YOU CAN FIND. I MUST HAVE EVERY TARZAN BOOK EVER WRITTEN, PLUS OLD ERBs LARGE BIO BOOK, COMICS, PHOTOS, NO WONDER THE WIFE IS THINKING OF MOVING OUT WHERE SHE CAN HAVE A LITTLE BIT MORE ROOM FOR HER HANDBAGS AND OTHER RUBBISH. DAVID GENTLE..OH INCLUDE THE SILENT MOVIES, ALMO LINCOLN WAS FIRST GUY.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:10 pm

David Gentle wrote:HI DANNY, THOSE LIST WOULD BE GREAT, AS AN OUTRIGHT NUTTER FOR TARZAN, COULD YOU ALSO INCLUDE AS MANY TARZANS AS POSSIBLE. ALTHOUGH I LIKE WEISSMULLER BEST, HE DIDNT HAVE THE GREATEST PHYSIQUE, I THINK THAT GOES TO GORDEN SCOTT. BUT SEE WHAT YOU CAN FIND. I MUST HAVE EVERY TARZAN BOOK EVER WRITTEN, PLUS OLD ERBs LARGE BIO BOOK, COMICS, PHOTOS, NO WONDER THE WIFE IS THINKING OF MOVING OUT WHERE SHE CAN HAVE A LITTLE BIT MORE ROOM FOR HER HANDBAGS AND OTHER RUBBISH. DAVID GENTLE..OH INCLUDE THE SILENT MOVIES, ALMO LINCOLN WAS FIRST GUY.
Hey David, it's Harry who's doing the list. I would imagine he'll include Tarzan. :)

As for the Tarzan with the greatest physique, Mike Henry certainly could've given Gordon Scott a real run for his money. ;)

Gordon Scott

Mike Henry

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 am

SORRY FOR MIXING HARRY WITH PETER ET AL. YOU ARE RIGHT , SUCH LISTS ARE GREAT. YES MIKE HENRY DID HAVE A GOOD SET OF ABS, DID YOU NOTICE THEY WERE SORT OF LOP SIDED? ALSO WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM? i KNOW JOHNNY WEISSMULLER ENDED UP AS A GREETER AT L.A. AND ALSO CHEETA OUTLIVED HIM.BY SHEER CO INCIDENCE MY T.V. TELLS ME THERE IS ANOTHER NEW "TARZAN" MOVIE COMING OUT. NOT A CARTOON, DONT KNOW THE GUY YET, UT ITS A MUST FOR ME AND A HUNDRED WEIGHT BAG OF POPCORNS. DAVID GENTLE. RE. SCOTT, I THINK HE PUT ON A LOT OF WEIGHT IN LATTER YEARS. OH A FINAL QUICKIE (THEY ARE THE BEST) REG PARK TOLD ME HE NEVER, EVER TOOK AT LOOK AT ANY OF HIS MOVIES. ALSO FINALLY, FINALLY, I THINK THE ROCK ) IS A FAR SUPERIOR ACTOR TO ARNOLD , WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM HAVE A "SHOOT OUT" WHICH IS A GENUINE WRESTLING MATCH, NOTHING TO DO WITH SIX SHOOTERS. MY MONEY WOULD GO ON THE ROCK.ADIOS, DAVID GENTLE. HIDING IN MY DEN WHILST THE WIFE IS OUT CUTTING THE GRASS. ITS GOOD FOR HER FIGURE I TELL HER.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:22 am

Imagine the situation, an orphan (from some part of the western world) is raised by a group of monks in Tibet for the first twenty five years of his life and in doing so trained him to have superhuman strength, superhuman endurance and superhuman mental skills. Then, for no reason what so ever, they then decide to test him by wrestling an elephant (which he manages to) then fight off an attacking cobra (whilst chained up), then become part of a knife throwing act (whose aim would kill a lesser man) and then, if that wasn't enough, a barrage of questions about everything and anything that goes on for hours in multiple languages and the reason for all this. He is sent into the world to use his skills and abilities to do good. Opposing Aman, as he was often known, is his nemesis the Great Question, a disgruntled member of the Council of Seven. And on more than one occasion, he liked to show off what his training had given him.

Amazing Man was first published in 1939 and carried on throughout the 1940's. The idea of a man trained to the ultimate limit was taken on board when the character of Thunderbolt was launched in 1966 which in turn spawned a homage in the 1990's when he appeared as one of the Proctectors in the Malibu comic of the same name. Just goes to prove that a good idea can go a very long way.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 am

DannyBoy wrote:
David Gentle wrote:HI DANNY, THOSE LIST WOULD BE GREAT, AS AN OUTRIGHT NUTTER FOR TARZAN, COULD YOU ALSO INCLUDE AS MANY TARZANS AS POSSIBLE. ALTHOUGH I LIKE WEISSMULLER BEST, HE DIDNT HAVE THE GREATEST PHYSIQUE, I THINK THAT GOES TO GORDEN SCOTT. BUT SEE WHAT YOU CAN FIND. I MUST HAVE EVERY TARZAN BOOK EVER WRITTEN, PLUS OLD ERBs LARGE BIO BOOK, COMICS, PHOTOS, NO WONDER THE WIFE IS THINKING OF MOVING OUT WHERE SHE CAN HAVE A LITTLE BIT MORE ROOM FOR HER HANDBAGS AND OTHER RUBBISH. DAVID GENTLE..OH INCLUDE THE SILENT MOVIES, ALMO LINCOLN WAS FIRST GUY.
Hey David, it's Harry who's doing the list. I would imagine he'll include Tarzan. :)

As for the Tarzan with the greatest physique, Mike Henry certainly could've given Gordon Scott a real run for his money. ;)

Gordon Scott

Mike Henry
WHILE SCOTT HAD THE BROAD SHOULDERS AND DEEP CHEST OF A TARZAN HENRY WAS CERTAINLY MORE RUGGED AND MUSCULAR.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:06 am

David Gentle wrote:SORRY FOR MIXING HARRY WITH PETER ET AL. YOU ARE RIGHT , SUCH LISTS ARE GREAT. YES MIKE HENRY DID HAVE A GOOD SET OF ABS, DID YOU NOTICE THEY WERE SORT OF LOP SIDED? ALSO WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM? i KNOW JOHNNY WEISSMULLER ENDED UP AS A GREETER AT L.A. AND ALSO CHEETA OUTLIVED HIM.BY SHEER CO INCIDENCE MY T.V. TELLS ME THERE IS ANOTHER NEW "TARZAN" MOVIE COMING OUT. NOT A CARTOON, DONT KNOW THE GUY YET, UT ITS A MUST FOR ME AND A HUNDRED WEIGHT BAG OF POPCORNS. DAVID GENTLE. RE. SCOTT, I THINK HE PUT ON A LOT OF WEIGHT IN LATTER YEARS. OH A FINAL QUICKIE (THEY ARE THE BEST) REG PARK TOLD ME HE NEVER, EVER TOOK AT LOOK AT ANY OF HIS MOVIES. ALSO FINALLY, FINALLY, I THINK THE ROCK ) IS A FAR SUPERIOR ACTOR TO ARNOLD , WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM HAVE A "SHOOT OUT" WHICH IS A GENUINE WRESTLING MATCH, NOTHING TO DO WITH SIX SHOOTERS. MY MONEY WOULD GO ON THE ROCK.ADIOS, DAVID GENTLE. HIDING IN MY DEN WHILST THE WIFE IS OUT CUTTING THE GRASS. ITS GOOD FOR HER FIGURE I TELL HER.
I don't know where Mike Henry is at these days, he's been retired for years and is still alive as far as I know. I've read that he retired from acting because he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Perhaps that was a result of his football career, but I honestly wouldn't know. In any case, he turns 80 in August. I don't know about you David, but I've seen Henry in a number of other movies besides the Tarzan ones; The Green Berets and Rio Lobo with John Wayne, More Dead Than Alive with Vincent Price & Clint Walker, Skyjacked and Soylent Green with Charlton Heston, and The Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds.

The new Tarzan movie is called The Legend of Tarzan and stars Alexander Skarsgard as Tarzan. I'm familiar with Skarsgard, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen him in anything. I'll check out this new Tarzan movie once it's released on DVD.

The Legend of Tarzan (2016) - IMDb

I didn't know that Reg Park never watched any of his own movies. Interesting.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:Imagine the situation, an orphan (from some part of the western world) is raised by a group of monks in Tibet for the first twenty five years of his life and in doing so trained him to have superhuman strength, superhuman endurance and superhuman mental skills. Then, for no reason what so ever, they then decide to test him by wrestling an elephant (which he manages to) then fight off an attacking cobra (whilst chained up), then become part of a knife throwing act (whose aim would kill a lesser man) and then, if that wasn't enough, a barrage of questions about everything and anything that goes on for hours in multiple languages and the reason for all this. He is sent into the world to use his skills and abilities to do good. Opposing Aman, as he was often known, is his nemesis the Great Question, a disgruntled member of the Council of Seven. And on more than one occasion, he liked to show off what his training had given him.

Amazing Man was first published in 1939 and carried on throughout the 1940's. The idea of a man trained to the ultimate limit was taken on board when the character of Thunderbolt was launched in 1966 which in turn spawned a homage in the 1990's when he appeared as one of the Proctectors in the Malibu comic of the same name. Just goes to prove that a good idea can go a very long way.
Thanks for this write-up Harry, Amazing Man wasn't a superhero I'd ever heard of previously. :)

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 am

Although the United States didn't enter the Second World War until after the bombing of Pearl Harbour, the war certainly made an impression on the comic book industry with heroes springing up all over the place seeking to help America's allies (for instance The Shield who devises a series of sprays that when bombarded by x-rays becomes a superhero who seeks revenge for the death of his father by German agents or Captain America whose birth was witnessed by a German agent who killed the inventor of the formula before being killed himself). One of those heroes as known as "Atom" (not to be confused with "The Atom" who was another person altogether).

Albert Pratt (to give him his real name) was the sort of person physical culturists would love to get their hands on. Standing 5ft 1 tall, he weighed just 98lbs and was a literal wimp, but despite his lack of strength he was a very kind lad and when one day he passed a beggar in the street, he took pity on him and bought him dinner. That beggar turned out to be Joe Morgan, a former boxing champ, and to repay his kindness Morgan promised Pratt that he could be made into a muscular man with the right training. In under one year Pratt became a massively strong fighter with unbelievable strength, and he decided to use his new ability to protect the oppressed as the “mystery man,” Atom. And Joe certainly knew what he was doing because he also trained "Wildcat" (a man who fought in the American War of Independence and who gained nine lives which gives you an idea of how strong he is) and "Guardian" (a former police officer so sick to death of criminals getting off scott free that he resigned from the force and started nabbing them himself)

At the start of World War II, President Roosevelt organized the "mystery men" to band together and create the Justice Society of America. Al was a founding member and later joined the All-Star Squadron where he struck up a strong friendship with fellow member Wildcat. He was present when the JSA battled Ian Karkull. During the fight, Atom was bathed in mystical energy that kept him young for decades and then a little later on, in another battle alongside the All-Star Squadron, Al Pratt fought the reluctant villain known as Cyclotron. Energy released in that battle caused Al Pratt to develop radiation immunity by the late-1940s. But when the Atom and Starman went to the Manhattan Project site to stop a foe, Pratt, without thinking, ran through the fallout to save Starman and was caught in another explosion. He was unaffected by this and their foe was defeated. Surviving the blast completely unharmed, it was discovered that the extra dose of radiation gave him more superpowers.

Pratt was always very intelligent, yet ignorant when it came to nuclear physics. After the incident with Starman at the Manhattan Project site, he started studying nuclear physics and gained his Ph.D to become a brilliant scientist. Later, he took the job of nuclear physics professor at Alma Mater Calvin College. In the early 50s, Pratt retired along with the rest of the JSA, after the group was urged by to remove their masks and work for the government. Pratt then revealed himself as The Atom to his sweetheart Mary James, as well as her parents, and then proposed to her. They eventually married and had a happy life together.