John Hoberman-Testosterone Dreams, Rejuvenation, Aphrodisia,

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

YoungCadine

John Hoberman-Testosterone Dreams, Rejuvenation, Aphrodisia,

Post by YoungCadine » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:04 am

According to this book, which is a comprehensive guide that chronicles the legacy of doping, the earliest reports were of rowers being given "hormone pills" in 1950 on the Danish rowing team. By 1954 the Soviets admitted that hormone treatments with testosterone on Athletes in the Olympics had already been well underway, and in 1952 reports resurfaced of hypodermic needles and ampules being left on the floor after the Olympic games. Testosterone was first synthesized in 1935, but people well understood the powers of this sex hormone before that, as scam "supplements" and pills were being marketed in muscle & mainstream mags throughout the 20s and 30s (early forms of supplement industry scamming as usual). By 1956 it was noted on many Olympic European sports teams, obvious pin marks on various parts of the body and records being broken in rapid succession from previous years. Really testosterone and steroids had broken through to the sports world past 1954, but it wasn't as widespread (only top pros in the Olympics even dabbled with it) and the US had primitive forms of it (methyltestosterone, suspension and dianabol) in the mid to late 50s. However past 1960 it really began to dig into the bodybuilding scene, and it went from top pros like Reg in the late 50s dabbling with it, to almost every major pro athlete competing in shows using the steroids.

My question is, the grey area between the 40s and 50s where methamphetamine use was widespread, and doping with cocaine and amphetamines in the 1890s amongst performing strongman/exhibitionists. What would amphetamine use do to help a runner, or strongman, or whatever. I understand not everyone took them, but I also understood that heroin was available to order from mags in the early 1900s. People used these drugs therapeutically and even injected them?