HAROLD WRIGLEY

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

HAROLD WRIGLEY

Post by peter yates » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 am

I JUST RECEIVED THE SAD NEWS FROM GIL WALDRON THAT HAROLD WRIGLEY A STALWART OF THE PHYSICAL CULTURE SCENE WHO WAS VERY ACTIVE THROUGHOUT THE 1950-1970 ERA IN NORTH WEST BRITAIN HAS PASSED AWAY. I HOPE TO HAVE MORE INFORMATION SOON BUT WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND MY CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY AT THIS TIME.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Re: HAROLD WRIGLEY

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Wrigley's passing. May he rest in peace and may God bless & comfort his family & friends.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:33 am

A FURTHER UPDATE VIA GIL WALDRON IS THAT HAROLD WRIGLEY PASSED AWAY IN JULY AGED 88 AT HIS HOME IN POULTON LE FYLDE NEAR THE SEASIDE TOWN OF BLACKPOOL.
HE WAS NABBA NW. PRESIDENT FOR MANY YEARS WHEN NABBA WAS AT ITS BEST. WITH HIS FRIEND JIM BARTLETT HE WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF THE SHOWS IN THE LANCASHIRE REGION WITH THE NW. CHAMPIONSHIPS AT MANCHESTER HOLDSWORTH HALL BEING THE TOP EVENT OF THE YEAR. THE WINNER OF THIS EVENT WAS THEN ELIGIBLE FOR THE MR. GREAT BRITAIN FINALS. MANY TOP NAMES ON THE BRITISH CIRCUIT WON THIS TITLE AND SOME OF THE BEST IN BODYBUILDING APPEARED IN GUEST SPOTS AT THESE SHOWS. I REMEMBER SEEING ARNOLD AND JOHN CITRONE AS GUESTS ON THE SAME BILL ONE YEAR AND IN MY OPINION JOHN OUTSHONE ARNOLD ALL ROUND. ALSO THOUGH LONG PAST HIS COMPETING DAYS HAROLD PERSUADED REG PARK TO PRESENT A POSING EXHIBITION AND SEMINAR AT AGE 50 AT HOLDWORTH HALL.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Always enjoyed the results of NABBA Mr. Universe in those days . Best show around for
international talent . Ironman used to have great coverage through Ash Kallos (SA) in those
days . Then many good training articles on Brits like Frank Richards , Roy Duval , Bill Richardson
Roy Perrott , Chris Ford , Paul Wynter. Many of the top UK guys were superior to Arnold in my
opinion . Better condition and proportion . Arnold S had size and ink .
Thanks for putting a name and a little history to this for me . Harold obviously had a long
and productive life during a truly golden era of bodybuilding .My perception of the NABBA was
that of legit class compared to the AAU as many of the decisions seemed like put up jobs .If you
read the Ironman coverage back then it had a totally different view of the outcomes than anything
published by Weider or Hoffman .

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:40 pm

HI CHRIS,
KEN[LEO]ROSA SAID HE NEVER FELT HE COULD GET A FAIR DEAL IN THE USA COMPETITIONS BUT DID SO IN THE NABBA CONTESTS AT THAT TIME.WE ALL KNOW THAT THERE WAS A LOT OF FAVORITISM AND MONEY TO BE MADE SO SOME GUYS GOT THE BACKING AND OTHERS DID NOT.
REGARDS,PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:52 pm

peter yates wrote:A FURTHER UPDATE VIA GIL WALDRON IS THAT HAROLD WRIGLEY PASSED AWAY IN JULY AGED 88 AT HIS HOME IN POULTON LE FYLDE NEAR THE SEASIDE TOWN OF BLACKPOOL.
HE WAS NABBA NW. PRESIDENT FOR MANY YEARS WHEN NABBA WAS AT ITS BEST. WITH HIS FRIEND JIM BARTLETT HE WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF THE SHOWS IN THE LANCASHIRE REGION WITH THE NW. CHAMPIONSHIPS AT MANCHESTER HOLDSWORTH HALL BEING THE TOP EVENT OF THE YEAR. THE WINNER OF THIS EVENT WAS THEN ELIGIBLE FOR THE MR. GREAT BRITAIN FINALS. MANY TOP NAMES ON THE BRITISH CIRCUIT WON THIS TITLE AND SOME OF THE BEST IN BODYBUILDING APPEARED IN GUEST SPOTS AT THESE SHOWS. I REMEMBER SEEING ARNOLD AND JOHN CITRONE AS GUESTS ON THE SAME BILL ONE YEAR AND IN MY OPINION JOHN OUTSHONE ARNOLD ALL ROUND. ALSO THOUGH LONG PAST HIS COMPETING DAYS HAROLD PERSUADED REG PARK TO PRESENT A POSING EXHIBITION AND SEMINAR AT AGE 50 AT HOLDWORTH HALL.
REGARDS, PETER.
Thanks for the extra info Peter.

Rest in peace Harold Wrigley.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:56 pm

sticksb wrote:Always enjoyed the results of NABBA Mr. Universe in those days . Best show around for
international talent . Ironman used to have great coverage through Ash Kallos (SA) in those
days . Then many good training articles on Brits like Frank Richards , Roy Duval , Bill Richardson
Roy Perrott , Chris Ford , Paul Wynter. Many of the top UK guys were superior to Arnold in my
opinion . Better condition and proportion . Arnold S had size and ink .
Thanks for putting a name and a little history to this for me . Harold obviously had a long
and productive life during a truly golden era of bodybuilding .My perception of the NABBA was
that of legit class compared to the AAU as many of the decisions seemed like put up jobs .If you
read the Ironman coverage back then it had a totally different view of the outcomes than anything
published by Weider or Hoffman .
Do you suppose that's why top guys like Bill Pearl & Reg Park stuck with NABBA and never competed for the Weiders' IFBB? Of course Pearl & Park were both towards the end of their competitive careers by the time the IFBB started to take the lead, but I've been curious about that for awhile....

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:25 pm

I am sorry to bring back up this sad event from a few years ago but I am new to the forum and was unaware of Harold’s passing. Reading of this was especially poignant for me as I had the pleasure of meeting him whilst he was waiting for an appointment the year before he died and had an absolutely fantastic hour with him whilst he regaled me with stories of the bodybuilding stars he had met and knew and even the odd bit of juicy gossip!! He was an absolute workhorse for NABBA in the North West and I enjoyed many of the shows he produced at Houldsworth Hall in Manchester and then Salford University. A lovely man who maybe we can all just remember again for a few minutes. May he continue to rest in peace.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Tony, thank you for remembering Harold.Glad you got to meet and spend time with him,those are memories to cherish.We always welcome such personal stories. I attended the NW Britain at Holdsworth Hall 1966,67, 68.Where you also in attendance those years?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:13 pm

I started attending bodybuilding shows slightly later Peter, around 1974 onwards. The North West has had a rich history of great shows hosting not only the NABBA North West but also the Britain final (variously in Manchester, Blackpool and Southport) and Harold was key to establishing that bedrock. We have also been lucky enough to have the European Championships in Blackpool in the 80’s and the Mr Universe ran for a good few years in Southport before recently moving to Birmingham.